Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Do you put your GTO away for the winter?

• Yes

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 47 71.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my goat out in the snow for the first time today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was a bit squirrely at takeoff if your wheels aren't relatively straight, but the traction control seems to work pretty well.
My grandparents have a large hill at the entrance to their house. I stopped halfway up to talk to my dad, and then couldn't get back started again. However, I went back down to the bottom of the hill and made it up without any trouble. I don't think I'd want to go for a long roadtrip in the snow, but for short trips, on unplowed roads, it didn't do too bad.
I even TRIED spinning the wheels in the driveway, but the traction control kept me pretty straight. It's not jerky or hard to drive, like I have heard some people say of the 2004 models. It was quite smooth.
Fortunately, there was only about 4 inches of snow on the ground, I suspect if it had been much more, the car would have become a snowplow and wouldn't be much fun to drive at all. hehe

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice going man. I had trouble in the rain. Guess I must have a heavy foot. Mine is put away for the winter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i run mine all year..but i have had some FAST rear wheel drive cars over the years... the traction control is like cheating!!! :cheers

D

·
0 Posts
put mine up for any weather other than sunshine 5000 miles and never seen rain

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm in AZ... what do you think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
drive mine in the snow whenever it snows it works just fine if you take it easy. Realy have no choice the wifes car is a cts same thing rwd.Oh yea mine is an 04 there is no difference in the snow between the 04 and 05.Most of the people that find it squirrely in the snow are not used to rear wheel drive. most any rear drive car sucks in the snow but I think because of the traction control and how evenly our wait is distributed it makes them handle better. Take a 4x4 pickup and dont put it in 4 wheel and see how that baby goes in the snow, no wieght in the rear that babies all over the place.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Drove mine in the snow today. It takes some patience, but its alot easier than the Vette to drive in the snow. We've got 4 inches outside so far. I don't know if I can get the GTO to work tomorrow or not. We will see.

Nope, GTO is a no go today. I'm driving my sporty 1986 Olds Cutlas Calais baby!

·
Registered
267 Posts
jjr62 said:
drive mine in the snow whenever it snows it works just fine if you take it easy. Realy have no choice the wifes car is a cts same thing rwd.Oh yea mine is an 04 there is no difference in the snow between the 04 and 05.Most of the people that find it squirrely in the snow are not used to rear wheel drive. most any rear drive car sucks in the snow but I think because of the traction control and how evenly our wait is distributed it makes them handle better. Take a 4x4 pickup and dont put it in 4 wheel and see how that baby goes in the snow, no wieght in the rear that babies all over the place.[/QUOT

dont forget...the gto is a posi..so it wants to slide the rear much more than a open rear car... :cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, I drive it in the Winter, but when there is no snow/salt on the roads.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I took it out for it's first and only time in 2 years today and that only b/c I needed to get my car's front bumper appraised and I barely made up the steep ass hill by my house and after that experience I won't take it out again up that hill wasn't much fun and make appreciate my 4x4 a little more :D

B

·
0 Posts
speaking of that, around here, people think that 4WD makes you invincible! They dont need no stinkin ABS, Traction Control, or StabiliTrak, they got 4WD! They are SUPER4x4 !!!

then, they are in the ditches. :D :rofl:

·
Registered
104 Posts
If we have snow I usually wait for a good rainstorm where it washes any salt or pebbles to the side of the road before taking her out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts