Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning on going to a road course and taking a few driving lessons. What kind of tires do you guys recommend? or will stockers be fine??
This will be my first time ever on a track (kinda nervous thinking about it and its still snowing haha) so if theres any other pointer/tips with getting my car ready please let me know. Thanks!
Heres the track layout if anyone interested :)
http://www.waterfordhills.com/

G

·
stock tires SUCK for road racing, dont matter what car you use.

hit up tire rack and get some road race specific tires, you will be greatly rewarded.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL! I figured as much. Well give me some brands and models MAN!! :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn dude thanks :cheers

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I want to get some 19" rims for my car but I dont know if I will have the money for them by summer if not then I will just fit the stock 17" with some new tires. I hopefully can get the 19's then put some race tire on them and keep the stock 17" for winter. As for tire size not to sure what will fit/work the best? any suggestions?

G

·
my suggestion is to get the widest that will fit without rolling the fender. Perhaps a 255-45-17... Some of the autocross guys need to chime in on this topic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow that is good info, thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
big_mike said:
well, you asked me to give you all the info. If I knew what tire size you wanted, I could get you pricing info from a few sources.
So Mike, Wheres that price :D can u get me prices on the stock size for now cause I dont have any other rims yet.

G

·
assuming you want to go with the 17" size, and not the 19 you mentioned, your prices for a 245-45-17 are as follows:

$ 166 Yokohama Advan A032R
$ 235 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
$ 151 Kumho VictoRacer V700 245-40-17 (unavailable in 245-45-17)
$ 161 Kumho ECSTA V700 245-40-17 (unavailable in 245-45-17)
$ 182 Kumho ECSTA V710
$ n/a Avon Tech R (not available)

Heat cycling adds $15 to each tire.

If I was buying them, I would go with the Yokohama A032R's

·
Registered
259 Posts
Before you go out and buy just any tire, I would check to see if there are any treadwear requirements you need to meet. Most road courses will put you in a different category according to your tire. For example if you use a Ecsta V700 they may put you in a "Modified" Category which with your lack of experience will guarantee you close to last finish in time. However, if you use a Ecsta MX, then you could be in a "Stock" category in which you should do fairly well.

I use a Falken Azeni ST-215 which is a very good tire that still allows me to race in a "Stock" or "Touring" type class :cool . I will be getting the RT-615's this spring.

As for the "tirerack" there are some other good tires that will give you some excellent performance and will last alittle longer too:

Kumho Ecsta MX & Yokohama Advan Neova AD07's

The tires listed by "big_mike" are also excellent, just remember those are very sticky and short lived tires which will put you in a different class. If you decide to go that way, then the "No Brainer" is the Hoosier R3S04... by far the best I have ever used.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
If this is your first time at the track and you are going to learn, consider using your stock tires. There is nothing wrong with learning to drive a stock vehicle and if they are not as sticky as other tires you may learn more about the delicate balance required on the track, e.g. you can turn, or brake, or accelerate, but don't try to turn and brake or turn and accel at the same time. I've been to the track and the stock KDWS tires kept the car on the pavement. Also, it rained during one of the sessions so it was nice to see how the car handled with them. I think I learned more in the rain than in the dry. Also consider, I've got 13,000 and one year of driving on my stock tires. The tires are showing signs of not being able to hold down the rear end even on dry pavement (Texas summer may have made the hard). I plan on taking them to the track, learning some more while I wear them out, learn better how to control the back end, and then getting some replacement tires that are better (I'm sorry dear they are worn out). Don't plan on being a winner your first time out. Plan on learning a lot and gaining experience for the next time. Would you rather consume an expensive set of race tires doing that or your stock tires and have a good excuse to buy some better ones when you are done.

Just a thought.

G

·
just depends on what type of driving you will be doing...:willy: :party:

Drifting you can get away with stock rears and decent falkens in the front.. and still have a hella good time...

for 1/4 mile .. mike is the man to hit up..
for drift a few of us know some things...
and theres a bunch of circuit and street guys here aswell....

G

·
I will admit, drag is the only form of racing I have knowledge on. But am open to learning drifting, road course, autocross, dirt track, cross country, desert and a mixture of all of it (i.e., Pikes Peak driving).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advice it seems that the stock tires will work just fine for now, plus if I dont like it I havent spent a bunch of money on racing tires.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.