Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the nearest pontiac dealer today and test drove the 06' GTO for the first time and really liked it. I sat down with a salesman and he had the MSRP at 35,280 and then went to the sales manager and got the price down to 33,280 with some sort of reduction. Then I talked about a trade in with a 2001 BMW 325i with 33,600 miles on it so he went back to the manager and offered from 13,500-14,500 for the BMW and I eventually got it up to 15,000 for it, but I didnt have the BMW up there at the time so they said it could go up or down depending on condition. they said for a final with the trade-in we could walk away paying 18,280. BTW its a 2006 black on black A4 goat. Should I go ahead with this deal or look for more reduction. Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
That price doesn't sound too good. For one thing, where do they get an MSRP of 35,280 from? The highest price GTO as shipped is an A4 with 18", and that is 33,785. The only additional thing that can be added on top of that is the Sports Appearance Package, which is from what I understand added at the dealership. Unless the one you are looking at had the SAP, the quoted MSRP was too high.

So, does the one you are looking at have the SAP? Does it have 17" or 18"?

Additionally, the out the door price of $18,xxx, was that including tax, title and liscence, and any extended warranty etc? Or is that just on the car itself?

Taking a quick look at KBB and Edmunds, the proposed trade-in price of the BMW seems in range. However, those the accuracy of those tools varies by area, and I know nothing about the options on your car, condition etc. So, I am only saying that it doesn't seem they are giving you a really far off price for the trade in.

Another thing to think about is if you plan on financing through the dealership. Sometimes they'll try to give you a higher interest rate, so know what you qualify for first.

What people pay for 06s varies a lot--what region you live in, how well that dealership is selling them, the particular salesperson, etc. Depending on different factors, paying between $29-32k (also depending on options and config) is reasonable to pay.

·
Registered
69 Posts
MSRP for a 06 M6 w/ 18" wheels is exactly $33180 (including destination charge). Will be about $600 higher for the A4 (-$695 M6, +$1300 gas guzzler tax), and subtract another $495 if you get the 17" wheels.

Dealer invoice for the same car above is $31257. Currently there is a $500 rebate also, so I'd think if you could get it for $30,757 you would be doing very well.

Other possible negotiating points are a $939 dealer holdback (unadvertised, so dealer might deny it). There are also other special rebates available (GMS, GM in the driveway, conquest, etc.), but in general they cannot be taken cumulatively.

I suspect if you wait longer, prices will lower, but the selection of cars also diminishes, and the cars that remain have more miles on them.

I got my 06 with GMS for about $29,800 (not including tax, title).

Good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mikes12985 said:
I went to the nearest pontiac dealer today and test drove the 06' GTO for the first time and really liked it. I sat down with a salesman and he had the MSRP at 35,280 and then went to the sales manager and got the price down to 33,280 with some sort of reduction. Then I talked about a trade in with a 2001 BMW 325i with 33,600 miles on it so he went back to the manager and offered from 13,500-14,500 for the BMW and I eventually got it up to 15,000 for it, but I didnt have the BMW up there at the time so they said it could go up or down depending on condition. they said for a final with the trade-in we could walk away paying 18,280. BTW its a 2006 black on black A4 goat. Should I go ahead with this deal or look for more reduction. Thanks
Well here is what i was offered. I went today to test drive a new GTO after negotiating they were offering 30,373 - 2000 rebates =28373 plus taxes/fees. In the end the offer was 31,000 out the door. But i passed.
The GTO was torrid red with black leather, 6m and 18" wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One huge thing that I just noticed and it may be really helpfull for me. when I got their at first the car looked like it was ready to be delivered and about to leave....so when I was checking it out from head to toe i realized that there was no window sticker anywhere so I couldnt see a MSRP quote so the guy instead of getting that 35,280 MSRP from the widow sticker, he got it from his sales manager. So I think they r trying to cheat me out by them making their own price. Now I was on pontiac.com and typed in my zip code for the nearest dealers and I went onto the dealer site and saw that in there GTO inventory they had the exact GTO I was in today for a MSRP of 33,690 which is about what it should be. I will be going back to the dealer and sitting down with the same people and showing them the MSRP online and then demanding that I see the exact sticker. I think I should get a real good deal after I rip the salesman that was trying to cheap me out :shutme. Anyone have any comments please post on what else I should do now that im in this situation. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
275 Posts
NEVER disclose a trade until AFTER you agree on a final sales price for the GTO. Otherwise, all they'll do is play with numbers claiming they're giving you more $$ on the BMW trade, when in reality, you're paying a higher price for the GTO. Better still, sell the car yourself.

·
Registered
479 Posts
when I was shopping the dealer told me that pontiac lowered the price on the gto and all of them should be 32,295. I called other pontiac dealers at the time that weren't affiliated with each other and got the same response from all of them when asked about the sticker price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid $100 over what the dealer paid, this was while the "Red Tag" price event was going on. I asked the dealer to see a printout of what they paid and they were happy to show it to me.
On the other hand it took me 5 months before I decided to purchase my 05. I had looked at every GTO possible yet did not like the dash background, then I saw the midnight blue metallic with the black interior and silver dash... I just went from dealer to dealer seeing who was the most helpful in getting me into a GTO.
I've been satisfied since!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
socal gto said:
when I was shopping the dealer told me that pontiac lowered the price on the gto and all of them should be 32,295. I called other pontiac dealers at the time that weren't affiliated with each other and got the same response from all of them when asked about the sticker price.
Thanks for that info it'll be a huge help for me.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
MoreMoonShine said:
NEVER disclose a trade until AFTER you agree on a final sales price for the GTO. Otherwise, all they'll do is play with numbers claiming they're giving you more $$ on the BMW trade, when in reality, you're paying a higher price for the GTO. Better still, sell the car yourself.
:agree :agree :agree

At least 100% with the first part; otherwise you have no idea what you're paying for the car, and what you're getting for your trade.

Personally, I have gotten to an age where I just don't like selling a car myself, but I will if Im getting yanked around. It's a lot easier to bite off if the car isn't worth much.

It's all a learning process; I'm 53 and still learning.

·
Registered
455 Posts
noz34me said:
Personally, I have gotten to an age where I just don't like selling a car myself, but I will if Im getting yanked around. It's a lot easier to bite off if the car isn't worth much.
Yep, selling your own doesn't always work for everybody or in all circumstances. But the seller should always know at least a value range for their car so that they don't get screwed.

Mike, when I bought my GTO, here's what I did:
I had a small notebook. In it I had written down the MSRP for the GTO in the 2 configurations I was looking at (M6 with 17" and M6 with 18"). I had the dealer's invoice price for these two configs written in. I had written down some common things to check for (like spacers in the suspension). I had written down the interest rate range I qualified for. I also had a car that I would trade in as long as I didn't get a terrible price for it, so I had written down the trade-in range and average selling range for my area. All this was written, so I couldn't forget. I think I had a few other tidbits written too, and some of the math like monthly payment I had roughly calculated ahead of time.

When I went in, I kept checking my book and making sure the values and such were close to what I had. If anything came up more than a reasonable margin off, I was going to refuse to go further.

Fortunately we were able to work something out that was acceptable. Anyway, I recommend that you get some numbers and write it down ahead of time, so that they don't try to hose you over.

Lastly, I would recommend looking at some other dealers if you can. First, you had the salesperson try telling you the MSRP was $35,xxx. Now, when I look on their website, they on you are looking at says $33,690 as MSRP. I could not find this exact one on Pontiac's website (the one you are looking at has 17" wheels and the only black/black at King I found on the Pontiac site had 18"). But, an A4 06 with 17" has an MSRP of $33,290. So, this dealership is still sticking an extra $400 in there and claiming it is part of the MSRP.

Here is an 06, black exterior red interior A4 with 17" rims at the same dealership:
http://www.pontiac.com/ws/nvlWindow...S/HomePage_1.chtml&vehicleModel=&map=&driveD=

That's from Pontiac directly. The pricing would be identical to the one you are looking at. But, where did the $400 go?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mikes12985 said:
I forgot to mention that I live in south florida and I think the prices are deffinetly higher down here. Would that affect the price? Thanks Mike.
This may affect what dealers are asking for the cars. But, I'm in Texas, and dealers around me had them for MSRP (the real MSRP according to Pontiac). I just couldn't talk them down as much as people in some other regions could. Got mine for $30,500 (31k minus 500 rebate).

BTW:
http://www.pontiac.com/ws/nvlWindow...nd=GTO&websiteURL=&vehicleModel=&map=&driveD=
This one is a black/black A4 w/ 17" but is at another dealership in Sunrise Fl. Not sure how far that is from you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clueless said:
This may affect what dealers are asking for the cars. But, I'm in Texas, and dealers around me had them for MSRP (the real MSRP according to Pontiac). I just couldn't talk them down as much as people in some other regions could. Got mine for $30,500 (31k minus 500 rebate).

BTW:
http://www.pontiac.com/ws/nvlWindow...nd=GTO&websiteURL=&vehicleModel=&map=&driveD=
This one is a black/black A4 w/ 17" but is at another dealership in Sunrise Fl. Not sure how far that is from you.
Thanks for the great help man.....I actually was researching the inventory for the GTOs in FL earlier and found that there are still many A4 GTOs left in FL when both my salesman and manager told me that there were only 2 left in the entire state which now I know is just BS. The amount of lies and crap that this dealer is telling im just going to go to that Ed Morse dealer in sunrise and look at that GTO that u showed me last. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good idea about checking other dealers; some mistakes happen, but there have been a couple of funny things just from the little info you have told us.

If anything, go to Pontiac.com and look for the GTO, then do "Locate Vehicle". Or go to gmbuypower.com and do the search there. You have to repeatedly plug in cities/zip codes--and keep in mind that it won't show you everything or be 100% accurate--but it is a nice, fair way to search. You'll get to see the actual stickers and such, not the dealer advertised prices.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tell me what you guys think I should do....1. go back to the same dealer and give them a whole raft of Sh1t and try and get real low on the price....2. go back and negotiate without going nuts....3. go to another dealer that I have now found out that actually has a window sticker and has over 8 GTOs which means they will probley give me a great price due to a great amount of inventory. Thanks Mike.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.