Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase an engine from a '70 GTO. It is torn apart but was running according to the individual selling it. He says it is because he's moving. It has #12 heads and the stamp on the engine is 9799914. It has everything there but the heads have been taken off the engine and the oil pan as well. He is asking $350. I currently have an engine from a '74 full body pontiac and I have been looking for something like this to have rebuilt. I just wanted to know what your thoughts were or if I shouldn't bother with it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
If it's not trashed it could be a smokin deal. Check the tops of the pistons, should be marked (.030) or such if its been bored out no markings should mean virgin block. Rotate it with a large socket and bar to see if its smooth and does not bind or grind. Check for a ridge where the piston rings top out. If its a virgin block snap it up, by all numbers it appears to be a RAIII motor, but i may still offer a few bucks less as its not a running engine, or at least you have never seen it run, and i rarely pay asking price. The #12 heads in 70' are good large port screw in stud heads. Specs were 366 HP, 72cc RAIII D-port heads and will need a dished piston on the re-build to get the compression down to 9.5:1 or so.

Nice car, can't go wrong with triple Black.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol it's actually Cadillac Green. I will have to post some pics out at the farm so it looks alright.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
LOL sorry dont have my glasses on....still nice. I would grab that engine up. Also according to Wallace racing that should be a 4-bolt main block.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
The #12 heads are worth about $500 as cores to the '70 Formula 400 and Judge guys. $350 for the engine and heads is an excellent deal....provided nothing is cracked or broken! Nice '70. I love green goats!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts