Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 70 hood does not close smoothly at all. Kind of a struggle to get it shut. Should I replace the hinges or can I get away with just replacing the springs?

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
"And as a hint, when lowering your hood, push back and down at the same time"

and a little left to right also just to get the hinges to unlock

does your hood go down straight and line up nice to the fenders at the windshield ??

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the same problem with my 67 and, on top of that, my hinges were starting to crack in a couple places. I bought a set from Willie (Hood Hinge Repair .com) and was very happy with the results. The biggest wear issues that they have is the rivets wear down smaller on the diameter and the rivet holes wear larger which causes binding and misalignment. Willie machines the holes larger and makes his own larger than stock diameter rivets. This brings them back from the dead. He also said he has plenty of NOS Pontiac springs that come with the rebuilt set.

In the meantime, lube the contact and pivot points so that you don't end up ruining your cores like I did. The core charge is not peanuts.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Good to know about the springs.
When I had my hinges done Willie didn't have any Pontiac springs and would not use Chevy. I think Scott came up with a pair for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, Oddly enough Willie said he did not need my original springs, so I kept them. They are currently wall art.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had to replace my hinges, got repop set from Ames. Doesn’t go up as far and this now explains why they are not as strong. Look at hood wrong and down she goes. It’s the weaker springs. Sigh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts