Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching Craig's list..and other on line places to find a descent drivable GTO . Where have you folks found your Goat ??? When I was younger ( like most of us ) these cars were on every street corner....not so much anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hemmings Classifieds are a good place to start. I also had good luck networking at car shows too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found mine under a carport of a 24plex aparment complex. It was so rough that I was the only offer 2 days before the owner had to move.. It' was not running, bad quarter panel, hole in trunk but not rust. I felt like I was a sucker paying a grand for it but not anymore. It was a lot of work but I saved a 67 sports coupe from the crusher. 1 of 7029 made. Don't get discouraged sometimes it pays to be a snoop and go hunting the older parts of towns.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hemmings Classifieds are a good place to start. I also had good luck networking at car shows too.

Good luck!
Found mine in Hemmings, though it was 21 years ago. I have been approached a number of times at car shows asking if I'd be interested in selling. I take names and phone numbers just in case. Also you may want to make contact with the local GTO clubs. Most have websites through which you can contact the members. Chapter Map » GTO Association of America

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
X3 for Hemmings, or you could try Smoke Signals or the other Performance Years forum classified. Bought both of mine over 30 years ago out of the local Thrifty Nickel for peanuts. I guess I was one of the few who kept 'em.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Found my '67 on Ebay, looked at it and made the guy an offer based on the mechanical work it needed.
Took me a year to find the right car and I have gone over the 16K in parts I talked the guy down.
I have had several offers on the car just driving it around and one while the garage was open and I was working on it.
I also have a doctor who asked the local parts guy who I was that came by and told me when it is finished just to name my price.
I am looking for another one to build but this one isn't for sale.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
'67's are out there. I truly believe more survived than '66's. I would truly caution from buying from any Internet used carlot establishment. Easy to spot them, they love to use the word "Classic", nearly always have tacky Chinese repop memorabilia hanging all over the walls, black and white checkerboard show room floors.

Even longtime GM dealers that I know that have a building/showroom full of of late 50's through 70's collectibles, a good percentage of their inventory, the body and paint work is mediocre at best, that's a ton of $$$$ often to correctly restore. The main reason even my GM dealer friends have the cars in inventory is they can sell them for more money and often finance them, versus private individuals. Private individuals are your best bet, ones that have tucked cars always for decades, not the the turn and burn puppymill builder operations.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What price range are looking for?
Trying to stay around 25k...don't need a 50,000.00 GTO that needs to be baby sat every where you go. Would love to find something that needs paint ...but even those cars are costly. I have been doing Collision and Bodywork/ painting for the last 39 years and still love it.....but at this stage of my life ..I just want a turn key driver ...but I know I will want my bodywork and paint on it anyways..LOL ...I think I still got one left in me. Would rather do insurance work....bumper cover ,hood and fender and rad support than a complete strip and paint.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
For 25 k you should have no problem finding a solid, good driving '67. I agree with the others though, you just don't see these cars out there on the road anymore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts