Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Happy Valentine's Day

You have a $30,000 car. Don't get cheap on us now. Spend the $400 and get a Valentine 1.

Once you drive with the arrows, you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Good, Better, Best

I had the Bel model that was out before the one they tested and was not impressed. And I have a slightly older Passport that my wife now uses. It works, just not as good range-wise as the V1. My '99 Black GTP earned the nickname "The Shiny Black Cop Magnet" so I need all the help I can get.

If you try to operate the V1 around town in anything but the Advanced Logic mode it will drive you insane with warnings. But in the Advanced Logic mode, it weeds out all but the strong-enough-to-be-dangerous signals AND tells you where they're coming from.

A co-worker has the Escort Passport 8500 in his 525i. I was following him to a meeting a couple of weeks ago when my V1 went off and I backed down 5 to 10 seconds before he got a warning. That can easily be the difference between a good day and a bad day. The least Escort could have done is to give the detector a sexy voice to constantly chatter "K Band".

Yes, the V1 box is looking its age. But it's those dang arrows that I'm addicted to.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
I bought a Bel RX65 Pro about a year ago. Same thing as the Escort X50. Bel bought Cincinatti Microwave and they stuff basically the same guts into both cases on the top of the line models these days.

There are a couple of feature differences. The Bel adds voice and European KU band to the feature set. Apparently KU band is approved for the US as of 2005. The controls and S/W switchable options are almost identical.

Everything I read about the Valentine a year ago said it was blind to POP radar and lacked KU band altogether. Also, Bel and Escort seemed to have as good or better range with fewer false alerts. Seemed that Valentine was getting outdated and living off their reputation.

Anyway, the thing works as well as these things can. Very easy to use. Dark mode for night driving.

BUT.......With POP and other instant on radar + laser these things offer no guarantee. It's sheer luck if Dudley DoRight flashes someone close enough to give a warning but not close enough to be you. It has saved me a couple of times but it's far from perfect. One thing I notice is that virtually every radar gun out there is instant on and I'd say 1/3rd of the time it's a POP gun.

Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Good advice. Not helping me make a descision, but good advice nonetheless.

Screw it. Maybe I just need to run a 120V / 400Hz system in my Holden and bolt one of these bad boys on...



Might make me sterile, but dammit, it'll melt police radar guns into bubbling slag!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
If it helps I am getting a K40 system installed in my car. It is front radar with front and rear diffusers, but the system is like 1g and change, but my friend gave it to me for free. I should have it in the car by next week sometime :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input so far. I've read some articles comparing the V1 and Escort models. Both seemed be pretty good. I do like the arrows though.

Another thing I was wondering about is laser. I've read countless times it's useless to have a laser detector because the beam is so narrow. Maybe I'm paranoid but I find it hard to find an article that doesn't almost seem like it's selling some product so I'm looking for input people I'd consider more trustworthy (yes, you guys :cheers ).

I don't speed when it's not prudent or unsafe, but I like to drive fast and take off fast and have fun. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
J.J. McClure and Captain Chaos

In the words of Capt. Chaos, "Anti-Radar paint, no one can catch us now J.J."
Now thats what I'm talking about :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Everything I read about the Valentine a year ago said it was blind to POP radar and lacked KU band altogether. Also, Bel and Escort seemed to have as good or better range with fewer false alerts. Seemed that Valentine was getting outdated and living off their reputation.


BUT.......With POP and other instant on radar + laser these things offer no guarantee. It's sheer luck if Dudley DoRight flashes someone close enough to give a warning but not close enough to be you. It has saved me a couple of times but it's far from perfect. One thing I notice is that virtually every radar gun out there is instant on and I'd say 1/3rd of the time it's a POP gun.
Stupid Dudley DoRight.

Thanks for the info on the Bel!

After my recent ticket, however, my next chunk of mod change will go towards a radar detector...so I've been researching again.

The new model Valentines do feature POP ( http://www.v1pop.com) and can be user-programmed for Ku (http://www.valentine1.com/specs/ ). I also like the fact that Valentine will continuously upgrade your unit.

Leaning towards the Valentine again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I thought about getting a Valentine 1 myself. That is until I popped a guy from 400 feet away with a laser gun doing 25 over in a residential neighborhood. He said it never went off. The beam coming from a laser gun is about the size of a small pen top. All I can say is good luck and happy motoring I think I'll keep money and rely on my FOP tags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
BRIAN P. EWING said:
I thought about getting a Valentine 1 myself. That is until I popped a guy from 400 feet away with a laser gun doing 25 over in a residential neighborhood. He said it never went off. The beam coming from a laser gun is about the size of a small pen top. All I can say is good luck and happy motoring I think I'll keep money and rely on my FOP tags.
Lasers aren't used for enforcement / revenue collection by most CHiPpie units, they almost exclusively use only radar...so I'm good to go. For a while.

Better than naked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Groucho said:
According to what I've read, the Escort 8500 X50 is better...

http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=9090

Like the arrows though.

I'm torn. I need one.
That website is run by a guy who sells radar detectors. The more expensive units get better test results. And since he can't sell Valentine, they get low marks. All of his tests are basically useless at determining real world capabilities of radar detectors.


Both the 8500 and V1 are great detectors. They differ in features but both are very good detectors. I wouldn't buy any other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
derf said:
That website is run by a guy who sells radar detectors. The more expensive units get better test results. And since he can't sell Valentine, they get low marks. All of his tests are basically useless at determining real world capabilities of radar detectors.


Both the 8500 and V1 are great detectors. They differ in features but both are very good detectors. I wouldn't buy any other.
Excellent points. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of Illinois' finest use Laser as far as I've seen. From what I've read they can't use laser while in a moving vehicle (maybe that has changed by now). Myself, after reading some reviews, am leaning toward the V1, then going with something that is passive Anti-Laser. I saw they sell a "laser scrambler" but I don't speed "bad" enough to justify the cost on that. I have a pretty good eye *knock on wood* for spoting police, but for those times when I'm not sure, I'd like to have a Detector with good range. If they sold those cloaking systems that they use in Star Trek... I'd be game for that ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I used to have a K-40 in my old Typhoon. It worked "alright;" I am certain a V1 will work much better in most situations. The thing I liked about the K-40, though, was that the detection unit was mounted right behind the grille, and ran to a knob under the dash (HWY/CTY + Volume) and a small LED which was mounted flush into the dash.

I am a wire freak, and there is nothing I hate more than the suction-on Detectors with the obnoxious wire running down into the cigarette lighter. The les you can see, the better for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea that was another thing I was wondering about.... I HATE wires, wires draw attention and get in the way. I'd like to hardwire the thing, but I wasn't sure how to get from the fusebox back into the "cockpit". Any ideas or pictures?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
spylab said:
I used to have a K-40 in my old Typhoon. It worked "alright;" I am certain a V1 will work much better in most situations. The thing I liked about the K-40, though, was that the detection unit was mounted right behind the grille, and ran to a knob under the dash (HWY/CTY + Volume) and a small LED which was mounted flush into the dash.

I am a wire freak, and there is nothing I hate more than the suction-on Detectors with the obnoxious wire running down into the cigarette lighter. The les you can see, the better for me.

Check this install out.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top