Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a red 2002 civic coupe, not my first choice per say but its a nice little and was all i could afford.
i want to make it my own tho, i want to make it quick but dont want to spent mad amonts of money either. i want some exhaust, but what would sound low and loud but nice? no fartcans....
ill get some rims, 17's for performance probly.
you guys got any suggestions? every import site i go to try to tell me to get a 4" tip and all kinds of different ricer ****, and i hate that. so i thought id come here and get your guys oppinions.
thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
To be honest you don't want 17" wheels if you want performance. get like a nice set of 15" lightweight rims. Well with a civic any exhaust mods you do is gonna be rice. Throw a little bit of nitrous on it like a 50 shot, Then cut any fat off of it you can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill probly go down to 16" rims, i want performance but 15's are a little small.
by ricer, i meant that i dont want to just go to autozone and buy a fat ass muffler lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lower it, put on some 16" or 17" Volks, Advans, Work wheels, go w/ a Greddy, HKS, or other high qual exhaust system, and there you go. If you really want unique, but also clean and non-ricer, go w/ some Mugen or Spoon aftermarket parts. Those two are the sh!t when it comes to Hondas.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If you want to make it quick you should use nitrous, especially if you dont want to use lots of money. There are body kits for the civic that don't look ricer at all. You just have to search for them. But most importantly, have fun racing your civic against schwick 10 speeds. :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
5Zigen Fireball exhaust doesn't sound like a fartcan, I had this exhaust on my old 99 Civic Si.

Also get some brand of intake (AEM, K&N, Injen ect). As far as wheels go. Try Discount Tire online or Tire Rack. Their websites will let you see what your car will look like with any of the rims they have in stock that will fit your honda (4x100 Lug Pattern). If you want high end JDM (Japaneese Domestic Market) wheels check out JPHUSA.com

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T PUT ANY GAY @SS GRAFFIX ON YOUR STOCK CAR!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It depends what kind of setup you are looking for. Obviously do the suspension. Go with wheels too.... 17's would be good for handling/top speed (stiffer sidewall) where as 16's would be better for your acceleration (softer sidewalls will allow flex, stiffer will just break loose). For engine you can do your standard header, high flow cat, straight pipe w/ maybe a fart can and couple that with an intake and a P&P head. In all honesty though you aren't going to be seeing a huge gain.

For 4-cylinder the best bet is to go FI. Go with a turbo since there is less parasystic loss associated with it. I wish I had gone that route when I had the chance. You can do forged internals for fairly cheap on a Honda... I know I had a Saturn and looked at your guys' stuff and wished ours was the same cost. You can put together a turbo system yourself with research and buying used parts for <$5k and it'll function better than most aftermarket systems as you can tailer it to how you want it to run. A good size would probably be a Super 60 turbo. It won't come in too early, but it won't die on the top end either. That would allow you to run 8psi (which is most likely safe... it was on a saturn 1.9) then if you got forged internals you could bump it up more. Not crazy mroe though or it will be in its inefficient range. You'll have to check out some compressor maps, but that's just a general "may work for you" setup.

Here was one of my projects. '95 Saturn SW2 with Powerdyne Supercharger.
Crower Rods
JE Pistons (9.5:1 compression)
FMIC
OBX Header into high flow cat then 2.5" exhaust and a fart can
16" Rota Subzero Bronze wheels (loved them and traded my last car in with them on it '04 Ion 2)
KYB G-2 Struts with H&R Sport Springs

I was doing an initial 500 mile breakin before hooking up the supercharger (didn't have it belted or plumbed in these pics... did have a belt on it for a little to hear it). The machine shop that did my bottom end messed my clearances up on the pistons-wall or the shop that planed the bottom of the head did it curved. The pistons hit the valves. I ended up peicing the motor and performance parts out and selling hte car to a buddy w/out an engine. I still kind of miss it. Just because of all the time I spent working on it. Loved that car for the short time I had it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Man, the best thing to do is sell it, lol. Really though there's no exhaust system that is going to take away all the buzzy high pitched sound. I had loud exhaust on my Honda and when I got my Sentra Spec V I decided I'd do everything right and go all Nismo, it still sounded like a rice rocket even with high quality parts. I bought fwd imports because at the time that's all I could afford, but there is by no means a good way to make them sound good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after driving it awhile i still dont like it at all but, it works for what i need it for.
in a year or ill buy a camaro or a gto, probly wont be the best thing to do financially(sp?) lol but im gonna do it any way lol
it all depends on the insurance and gas price, price for the car itself isnt a problem, its the insurance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just think it's cool that you asked for advice on this forum. It reminds me that I too at one time couldn't afford the car I wanted , but did the best with what I had. Good for you ! Make your mods tasteful ( less is more ) and don't try to make a giant killer out of a nice sporty compact.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just think it's cool that you asked for advice on this forum. It reminds me that I too at one time couldn't afford the car I wanted , but did the best with what I had. Good for you ! Make your mods tasteful ( less is more ) and don't try to make a giant killer out of a nice sporty compact.:)
ya, id kill to have a gto or a camaro but its almost impossible right now. but im learning to kinda like my little ride lol
i might buy a first gen camaro in around a year, fix it up and keep this as my daily driver. but who knows what will happen, i can dream cant i? lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Run, start a savings account put all the money that you would put into the civic in the bank and buy a 2nd Hand Goat? That's what I did when I had my pro-street S-10. Saved up till I could buy a crate LT1 and painless wiring kit.

Just a thought dude....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
beleve me, the thought has crossed my mind but i got a quote for a v6 camaro a while back and the insurance would have been about 700$ a month......it will drop a little when i turn 18 in a couple months but i cant afford that and car payments lol hell i pay 300 for insurance on a civic lol

but i kinda found a way around it if the car is a classic, way cheap insurance.
id much rather have a new one tho.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Best advice I could give you as a 26 yo with wife and 2 kids and recently dissabled vet. Don't mod your car...DONT GET CAUGHT STREET RACING. (you think your insurance is bad now) Save money for college dont waste it on that POS. Drive the civic like it was built to be driven as an ecconomy car. Apply the money you save on gas and insurance to college. Finish college....get a job with your fancy new degree in a good field like IT or whatever you like making usualy 50k to start depending on field up to 80k if its a hot field. Then go out and buy your toys.

I don't mean to sound like your father or anything but I left high school straight into the army. Don't get me wrong I loved the army and would still be there if not for my injury. Instead of going to school on my free time I spent all my money drinking...I was then injured (now having a wife and a 1yo with another on the way) and was medicaly discharged. It has been a hard and stressfull journey to get to where I am now over the last 3-4 years. School is tough with a full time job, and 2 kids. I am still only half done and what I have was earned by experience. If I was to add an education to my experience I would easily be making 120k as an IT manager. With no degree you will hit a wall when it comes to promotions...trust me.

Not saying you do this but rather than driving around at night with all the other racers why not take night classes...graduate high school with a head start in college...get their degree then when they own a house, a secure job, a z06 then go cruisin around looking for silly races.

My .02....not to sound critical but I'm sure every other guy older than me would back me up. There will always be enough time to play...but it gets harder and harder as you get older to get that financial stability.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Foxtrot I agree with you and having been in the Army 5 years myself, i know what you mean. Yeah dude just maybe put some rims on the car to make it stand out a bit but save your money up to fix up your dream car when you get it. I had a brand new Tiburon in 02 when they first came out and I didnt everything I wanted to that car. I saw the Goats when they came out and said I was going to get one, it took me a year to finally go ahead and do it and now I could not be happier. Remember you just have to work hard for what you get and save to get the things you want. That is of course if you are not rich.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i agree with you a hundred percent, im not going to mod it, cause at the end of the day....its still a civic lol ill get rims but thats it.
i will unoficialy graduate highschool tommarow, so now thats out of the way. im gonna do 2 years at community college then 2 at usf, but that will be about it. i have a job in the plumbing supply industry right now, and my dad has been doing it for the last 25 years so ill be able to use that as an advantage. dont get me wrong tho, i still have to work my ass off for it tho lol

·
Registered
323 Posts
Best advice I could give you as a 26 yo with wife and 2 kids and recently dissabled vet. Don't mod your car...DONT GET CAUGHT STREET RACING. (you think your insurance is bad now) Save money for college dont waste it on that POS. Drive the civic like it was built to be driven as an ecconomy car. Apply the money you save on gas and insurance to college. Finish college....get a job with your fancy new degree in a good field like IT or whatever you like making usualy 50k to start depending on field up to 80k if its a hot field. Then go out and buy your toys.

I don't mean to sound like your father or anything but I left high school straight into the army. Don't get me wrong I loved the army and would still be there if not for my injury. Instead of going to school on my free time I spent all my money drinking...I was then injured (now having a wife and a 1yo with another on the way) and was medicaly discharged. It has been a hard and stressfull journey to get to where I am now over the last 3-4 years. School is tough with a full time job, and 2 kids. I am still only half done and what I have was earned by experience. If I was to add an education to my experience I would easily be making 120k as an IT manager. With no degree you will hit a wall when it comes to promotions...trust me.

Not saying you do this but rather than driving around at night with all the other racers why not take night classes...graduate high school with a head start in college...get their degree then when they own a house, a secure job, a z06 then go cruisin around looking for silly races.

My .02....not to sound critical but I'm sure every other guy older than me would back me up. There will always be enough time to play...but it gets harder and harder as you get older to get that financial stability.
Wise man... :cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts