Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm waiting to get my 05 I figured I better see what this is gonna cost me for insurance. So when I call my local agent and explain what I'm getting, she says, that with full coverage it will cost 2,000 dollars for a year. We do it by the year in Ma. Plus they want $605.00 downpayment. Insurance is regulated here so companys like Gieco and Progressive don't do business in this state.

BTW, I have a perfect driving record for over 30 years and actually got driver discounts if you can believe that. Plus I'm looking at $1,500 + for sales tax, and $25.00 per $1,000 for excise tax. Add in registration fee, Veteran plate fee and the $2.20 per/ gal for gas, and this is gonna be a small fortune to pay. But I'm not backing out of this no matter what. Looks like I better try to work some overtime whenever I can though. So when someone thinks they have high costs to run there Goat, just move to Taxachusetts. Love the area, just not the laws. Sorry for the length of this, needed to vent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's why I like living in South Dakota. We may not make as much but the general cost of living is less. Our state tax is 3% and the next year renewal tags run around $50.00. My insurance cost for the GTO is around $800.00 per year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
.........and honestly Mass isn't that nice at all. No offence please. But seriously. Dude move to CT.

On a side note I saw a yellow 04 today and holy crap that color really pops out when it's clean. Very nice. :cool

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Reno'sGoat said:
While I'm waiting to get my 05 I figured I better see what this is gonna cost me for insurance. So when I call my local agent and explain what I'm getting, she says, that with full coverage it will cost 2,000 dollars for a year. We do it by the year in Ma. Plus they want $605.00 downpayment. Insurance is regulated here so companys like Gieco and Progressive don't do business in this state.

BTW, I have a perfect driving record for over 30 years and actually got driver discounts if you can believe that. Plus I'm looking at $1,500 + for sales tax, and $25.00 per $1,000 for excise tax. Add in registration fee, Veteran plate fee and the $2.20 per/ gal for gas, and this is gonna be a small fortune to pay. But I'm not backing out of this no matter what. Looks like I better try to work some overtime whenever I can though. So when someone thinks they have high costs to run there Goat, just move to Taxachusetts. Love the area, just not the laws. Sorry for the length of this, needed to vent.

Lynn Lynn the city of sin, you never come out the way you went in. Sorry to hear about your insurance. I'm a former M******* myself. Now living in central PA. Wanna be sick, my 6 month bill from USAA is $373.
I have no fond memories of Mass no-fault insurance. Insurance co's having been closing shop there for years. Excise tax is no fun either. PA has no property tax on vehicles. Hope you're getting an automatic for that traffic.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Lynn Lynn the city of sin, you never come out the way you went in. Sorry to hear about your insurance. I'm a former M******* myself. Now living in central PA. Wanna be sick, my 6 month bill from USAA is $373.
I have no fond memories of Mass no-fault insurance. Insurance co's having been closing shop there for years. Excise tax is no fun either. PA has no property tax on vehicles. Hope you're getting an automatic for that traffic.

Damn dude, how did you get your insurance that low. I have USAA and I thaught mine was low, course I have my wife and truck on my policy as well

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the kind words :D I knew what I was getting into so it was no surprise. I really love it here, I'm less than a mile from the ocean and I'm a big beach bum in summer. Changing Ins. Co. makes no difference cause the rates are set by the state. I envy all of you guys that can get those great prices, I'll just have to tighten my spending sprees that I go on and just save it for the Goat. :cheers

·
Registered
156 Posts
Reno'sGoat said:
Thanks for all the kind words :D I knew what I was getting into so it was no surprise. I really love it here, I'm less than a mile from the ocean and I'm a big beach bum in summer. Changing Ins. Co. makes no difference cause the rates are set by the state. I envy all of you guys that can get those great prices, I'll just have to tighten my spending sprees that I go on and just save it for the Goat. :cheers
Ahh yes the beach...totally different.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Braman'sGTO said:
Damn dude, how did you get your insurance that low. I have USAA and I thaught mine was low, course I have my wife and truck on my policy as well
A little more info would be in order.
1.) 49 yrs old.
2.) No claims history for 30 yrs
3.) No driving age kids. Yet!
4.) I carry a $1,000 deductible and use insurance for catastrophic losses only.
5.) I carry $100K/300K liability.
5.) I live in a fairly low population density area.

That bill is for the GTO only. I also insure my 2002 Denali with USAA and that bill is $268/6 Mo with identical coverage.

I had USAA quote several cars before I bought and was surprised that a car like the GTO was only a $100 higher than the Denali while a Chrysler 300C was actually about $10 more than a GTO.

And the car I traded, a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, was only about $10 cheaper than the 02 Denali.

Doesn't make much sense to me but I'm sure an insurance actuary somewhere has it all figured out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I forgot that age makes a big difference. Im 25 and my wife is 20, she can't drive a standard so she is only insured on the 03 ZR2. That and I have my deductables set at 500, but that is required by the bank. For the car Ill do what it takes :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
MoreMoonShine said:
:agree

Actually, since blow hard Ted has a record of driving into lakes with zero accountability, I seriously doubt he's insurable.....even in Mass.

Love it, absolutely love it!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Before I buy, I'm waiting 'til year end to see the difference in an '05 verses '06. Out of curiousity, I checked my insurer (USAA) for an '05 and they quoted $484 per 6 month increments. I suppose that's decent. Interestingly enough though, an '05 Corvette is $7 cheaper. :rofl:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Quadman, did you specify the GTO as your daily driver? I have a 90 mile round trip commute every day and put about 22K per year on the odometer. Of course I told my insurer the truth. If your insurance company can beat USAA with a similar reputation for customer service let's have the name.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Quadman, did you specify the GTO as your daily driver? I have a 90 mile round trip commute every day and put about 22K per year on the odometer. Of course I told my insurer the truth. If your insurance company can beat USAA with a similar reputation for customer service let's have the name.
I agree...since some of us have USAA, maybe we're not getting as good of a rate as we think! I'm 36 with a clean record and my quote was for a sole vehicle being the GTO with 12,000 miles a year and a $500 deductible. Please advise....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.