Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I went down just to see how well I would do pre-diablo tuned since it is supposed to be out mid-January.

Needless to say I was more than impressed with the results.

My baseline 2mos. ago was 341/337, I bought the car used and when dynoed had 16k miles on it.

Now, today. I didn't have the chance to put on the t-stat before I went, all I had on the car was the LPE CAI and my muffler delete.

1st run, I couldn't believe my eyes, it was 366/362 :cool. Then we let it cool for about 5 mins, and pulled a 2nd run.....378/375:eek: . Then finally a best of 383/376:willy: .

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, needless to say I was astonished of what a little break-in and basically no mufflers and a filter could do the car. Not to mention my a/f ratios were in the low 10's, they said with the predator and tuning I can easily see 400whp with just what I have done:party:

The car was dynoed on a Dyno Dynamics dyno at DTP in Chesapeake, VA. Needless to say I'm very happy with the $300 I spent in mods to pick up 42whp!!!!:cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
Fat Nick, you're the man. Thats EXACTLY what I have on my goat (LPE / Muff delete).

I've always wondered what my ride was kicking down!

Congrats. :cheers

·
Registered
148 Posts
fat nick said:
Well today I went down just to see how well I would do pre-diablo tuned since it is supposed to be out mid-January.

Needless to say I was more than impressed with the results.

My baseline 2mos. ago was 341/337, I bought the car used and when dynoed had 16k miles on it.

Now, today. I didn't have the chance to put on the t-stat before I went, all I had on the car was the LPE CAI and my muffler delete.

1st run, I couldn't believe my eyes, it was 366/362 :cool. Then we let it cool for about 5 mins, and pulled a 2nd run.....378/375:eek: . Then finally a best of 383/376:willy: .

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, needless to say I was astonished of what a little break-in and basically no mufflers and a filter could do the car. Not to mention my a/f ratios were in the low 10's, they said with the predator and tuning I can easily see 400whp with just what I have done:party:

The car was dynoed on a Dyno Dynamics dyno at DTP in Chesapeake, VA. Needless to say I'm very happy with the $300 I spent in mods to pick up 42whp!!!!:cheers
Congratulations Nick! Great hp. numbers. Can you tell me on your baseline pull what rpm you got the 337 torque reading? My baseline run was a little disappointing, 326hp, but the torque was 335. I am starting to wonder if the difference is the way my dyno calculated the hp. :cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
fat nick said:
Not to mention my a/f ratios were in the low 10's, they said with the predator and tuning I can easily see 400whp with just what I have done:party:
The a/f ratios are good data. Ideally you want to be in the 12.5-13.5, depending on who you talk to, to achieve your LBT (Lean Best Torque) numbers, however, leaning out your a/f is going to increase catalyst temperatures and reduce dilution. So there may be "alternatives" that have to be pursued.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's kind of funny, the guys over at ls1gto.com, don't believe what I'm putting down.

Figuring stock I made 341whp on a 400hp crank car, then my loss was 15%, using 15% with my 383whp, that comes out to exactly 450 crank hp:eek:
But just to show you guys as well here is a pic my buddy took with his phone as the graph was being printed:

·
Registered
689 Posts
fat nick said:
...I couldn't believe what I was seeing, needless to say I was astonished of what a little break-in and basically no mufflers and a filter could do the car...
I was thinking of deleting my mufflers and going straight pipe out the back. Does this sound O.K.? I don't want it to be too loud or obnixious. What do you think?

·
Registered
148 Posts
fat nick said:
Dyno Dynamics
Hi Nick,
Take a look at your base line dyno sheet and tell me what rpm you hit peak torque of 337 ft-lb., Just curious.. because my car dynoed lower hp, 326hp. but the torque was @ 335ft-lb. I suspect the dyno I used might be calculating HP. differently. Your feedback will help me understand whats going on with my car.
I have a new '05 M6 with 3200 miles on it and did a baseline dyno run before making any changes so I can learn what future changes contribute to increased power production. :cheers

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
fat nick said:
It's kind of funny, the guys over at ls1gto.com, don't believe what I'm putting down.

Figuring stock I made 341whp on a 400hp crank car, then my loss was 15%, using 15% with my 383whp, that comes out to exactly 450 crank hp:eek:
But just to show you guys as well here is a pic my buddy took with his phone as the graph was being printed:

Those guys have gotten so negative over there. Its to the point where I only lurk to get info and then post here. Sad really!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, everyone was trying to give him ideas as what could be wrong because those number's just aren't possible. Our drivetrain loss is between 16-18% that would mean your making over 460 at the crank with basically just cai, deleting mufflers doesn't do anything for power just sound, since they're already just straight through. Here's my honest opinion, the dyno wasn't setup properly giving you higher number's or they didn't give you the sae corrected numbers. There's no way possible that cai gave you 42rwhp, and with 16k miles your car is already broken in, its not gonna gain anymore power beyond that. Don't be too disappointed when you go to the track and don't get the mph that you expected going by your dyno numbers, just my advice.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Perhaps the Dyno you were on didn't put a load on the wheels. There is a shop here that has a Dyno that gives more than the vehicle will actually put out. It's a ricer shop and it's an ego builder for them! I know a guy who has a Civic with a 3psi turbo and they dynoed his car and told him it was putting down 148. He even told me there was no way it was doing that. 3psi on a 90 hp car wouldn't achieve that!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Cat,
the numbers you got are fine I got my goat dynoed at DTP last summer at 1500 miles and was running about the same numbers you are. My baseline 700 miles earlyer was about 7 hp and TQ lower. I have spoken to several of my customers that I have put Bra's on there cars and sent them to DTP, the average is between 325 - 340, some engins are a little tighter than others from the start so may take a little longer to get there. These Goats are capable of 400 at the wheel with intake tune and exhaust.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.