Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is finally done and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. My initial plan was to just repaint it and replace the wiring and replace the trunk floor. When the front clip was removed, there was a gaping rust hole in the frame. This led to media blasting whole thing, only to discover a lot of hidden rust. So here goes a much larger project than I intended.

The purists will disapprove of what I've done. I took my 67 Tempest Custom convertible and built the car the way I wanted. It looks like a GTO for the most part because I like that look, not trying to fool anyone. I took out a good running 326 and TH400 (I know a TH400 doesn't belong behind a 326 anyway, but that’s the way I bought the car 17 years ago). I put Hotchkiss suspension under it, quick ratio steering, Willwood disk brakes up front, A new GM HO 350 crate motor matched up to a 4L60E overdrive automatic going through a 355 posi rear. Added headers and a complete MagnFlow SS exhaust

I had the interior done in leather as it is much more comfortable than vinyl. I put in Vintage Air AC and a Custom Auto Sound retro look radio. Etc., etc.
I ended up with a car that I truly love to drive. Wouldn’t hesitate taking it cross country. It never gets hot even with the stock radiator. Not a barn burner, just a great cruiser.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Sound like you are a happy camper. I trust all your frame issue are resolved. I think your car sounds great. Sure there will be nay-sayers but everytime you're behind the wheel enjoying that convertible, you'll easily forget the negative words.

Glad you did it your way, enjoy!! (And you saved a car that may have become scrap!)>:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I've done this correctly, there should be a picture of the engine compartment before the hood was on and a pic of the car.

I ended up replacing the frame with a solid used one.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I've done this correctly, there should be a picture of the engine compartment before the hood was on and a pic of the car.

I ended up replacing the frame with a solid used one.

Nice . Glad you have her on the road. Now have fun. I too had to replace the frame on my vert. Now for the inner rockers.Yuk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts