Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a vintage muscle car before. My all time fantasy car would be a '71 Hemi Cuda Convert. I almost pulled the trigger on a numbers matching '68 Camaro convert. with a 327. But this GTO kept calling my name everytime I saw the ad. Finally went and looked at it and decided it was for me. The VIN is 242678xxxxxx. Factory '68 GTO convertible.

She's kind of unique. She's got a 428-4v in it hooked up to a 4-speed Muncie. I'm guessing it's the M-20, but I don't know for sure. The block, heads and intake all code to a '68 428. She's got a Hurst shifter and 3:55 gears. The 3:55 was nice on the way home. Cruising 70 at 2750 rpm.

The car had a lot of 1st place trophies from local shows. The original color is Verdoro green. Tomorrow it goes to the restorer for a new coat(s) of Twilight Black.

The interior is really nice and all original. All the glass is there and the top is perfect. Everything works, including the headlights.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Atta boy!! Nice looking ride. Looks like that pooch is ready to go! Welcome to the Forum...........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My GSD gets motion sick in the truck. Maybe with the top down, she'll learn to like it.

There's really nothing that needs to be done to the car. A trim screw here, a fleck of paint off the engine. Other than the motor/drivetrain, it's all original.

The 428, from my research, seems to be a nice motor. I believe it was the 421 bored to 4 1/8". It kept the same 4" stroke as the 421.

Anyone here know much about the 428? I wish I could find out who/where the engine swap happened.

I'll contact PHS this week to see what they say about the rest of the car.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
The 421's were in a '65 and '66. The 428 was in a '67, '68 and '69. All were in b-bodys.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The red paint is a little over 10 years old. It's nice driver paint. A split on each side of the trunk going towards the front. A few bubbles and a few rough spots.

I have a professional classic car restorer that's local and top notch. I've never had a car painted before so I had no idea as to cost. $5k to start to do it right.

Since it's not the original paint, repainting in Tuxedo Black won't diminish it's value any more than it's already been. Plus it'll go 5-8 mph faster than any other color.

The block has a YH code. The Muncie sure does shift smooth. I don't know if there is a way to externally tell if it's a M-20 or a 22. I also don't know if the M-22 would fit on the 428 since it didn't come along until '70 (I think).

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
They made a YH code 428 in '67 and '68. You could check the date code by the distributor.

Update: More info....

YH B-body 67 428 360 Turbo 400 1x4 9786135 4
YH B-body 68 428 375 Turbo 400 1x4 9792968 4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for those numbers. It is a 9792968 code.

Since it's getting cooler, I need to take her to the 1/4 mile track we have close by. I wonder if I could get it into the 13s.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Even tho they didn't make a 428 for a GTO, I still think it's very cool yours has one and that it came out of a '68! If a guy didn't know better, you would think it was made for that car. Too bad they didn't put them in GTOs back in the day...:confused

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome to GTO ownership and the Forum!
Another new member from Texas...I just got my '68 GTO in February. It was also originally Verdoro Green, but was repainted black back in the '80s I think. Could definitely use a fresh paint job, but I've been enjoying driving it (when I'm in town) too much to send it away for a proper paint job. The interior is almost perfect, and I'm finishing up a fresh front end rebuild and disk brake conversion, my plan is to drive it for a few years before I paint it. BUT, if your shop can turn it around quickly I'm sure you'll enjoy it when it's back.
later
Jeff

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
nice-very nice- good car to jump in with- and please dont take the dog for a ride- last thing you want is to clean up dog vomit off your new paint- or take her for a ride before you paint it- let the body shop sand out the etched stomach acid

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even tho they didn't make a 428 for a GTO, I still think it's very cool yours has one and that it came out of a '68! If a guy didn't know better, you would think it was made for that car. Too bad they didn't put them in GTOs back in the day...:confused

The story is that the Pontiac brass would only allow the 428 in the full size cars. So some dealers like Royal Pontiac in Royal Oak, MI would have the GTO sent in sans engine. Then their mechanics would install the 428 into the GTO. The had enough clout with Pontiac to be able to skirt the rules.

I would love to know the story behind mine. It's not a Royal car I'm sure, but the history would be nice to know. I'll just have to keep on digging.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts