Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Moreso for Jim, with his eye problem he is pedaling as fast as he can.

The car is now on the back burner, we have a 1948 20' Chris Craft Blondie in the shop for a full restore and we picked up the steel and wheels yesterday to build a cart so we can get it off of the trailer and roll it around.
Here are some pics, hull has been tuned and replugged and it is sanded down to raw mahogany and will be ready for stain and clear in a couple of weeks.
It is also the end of the boating season so a lot of boats to pull and winterize so hopefully a week in Dec. to flatbed the goat over and finish it up.
We just can't have any grease or oil around this puppy until it is all sealed up.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the tracking shows my engine delivered and signed for on Wed 10/21 but the shop was closed, gates locked and nobody there to sign for it.
I was in Mammoth fishing and didn't get in till yesterday to check the tracking.
Waiting on a call back from Freightquote to find out where the hell it was delivered.
This is bullshit!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I had a custom roll up door fabricated in Arizona to be truck-shipped to CA. When the guy stopped in Vegas overnight, tweekers stole the door off the back of his truck (16' wide/12' tall aluminum roll up!) and it was GONE. Had to wait another month for another door to be made and shipped. I hope you find your engine!

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had a custom roll up door fabricated in Arizona to be truck-shipped to CA. When the guy stopped in Vegas overnight, tweekers stole the door off the back of his truck (16' wide/12' tall aluminum roll up!) and it was GONE. Had to wait another month for another door to be made and shipped. I hope you find your engine!
They probably sold it for scrap.

Working on it Jeremy from CVMS found who it was handed off to, MVE in Chino had it at 7:52 am this morning.
I believe it may have gone to Metro who does the bobtail deliveries up here on the mountain.
Still no call from Freightquote, waiting for a call back from Metro.
Apparently nobody knows how to input info into the computer system so garbage in garbage out.
It wasn't delivered it was signed for on Wed. @ the hub in Chino.

Update:

Called Metro, they have it and scheduled delivery is on 9/28.
Funny thing, my son had a dream about a month ago about this engine and said according to his dream it would arrive the day after my birthday and he nailed it.
Now I need to ask him to try and have a dream about lotto numbers.
:)

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I HOPE you meant '10/28'!!! If not, you'll have to wait another year!
Yeah, typo I meant 10/28 but with the tracking on this engine 9/28 isn't out of the question.
Hey it only took me 4 hours to find it and one sleepless night wondering who in Cedar Glen signed for my engine.
I remember when there was a time before computers when you talked to Michelle in S&R, she used a ledger and could tell you what you needed to know in 5 minutes.
Once I got these people to stop looking at their computers and look for the BOL and talk to Manuel out on the loading dock there it was.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I was in the check out line in a Home Depot when the power went out a few years back. It wasn't dark, but the cashiers were dumbfounded. Couldn't do anything, the way it was set-up. All electronic, no paper. And it's getting more and more like that. We are in a time similar to the 1880's-1900's, when electricity and autos started to become the new normal. Changed everything. We are slowly going paperless. In another 30 years, you won't be able to buy a pen. And if the power goes out, you'll have nothing at all to do and no idea of what to do, either. In 100 years, people won't even talk to each other anymore or have muscle tone from labor: they'll be autistic text-bots, living in cyber space on their little etch-a-sketch screens.....

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were told how computers would practically eliminate paper in our office and how much money we would save and now with ever changing state mandates we have had to lease an industrial size copier and use about 4 times as much paper as we did ten years ago.
If the power or Charter goes out everything stops and we send all our employees home.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
LOL! Where I work, same deal. We have a copier the size of a refrigerator, as well as printing software in our PC's that are engineered to burn through paper like you wouldn't believe. VERY difficult to print only the desired fields. Also using MUCH more paper than in the past, and shredding most of it. Progress.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL! Where I work, same deal. We have a copier the size of a refrigerator, as well as printing software in our PC's that are engineered to burn through paper like you wouldn't believe. VERY difficult to print only the desired fields. Also using MUCH more paper than in the past, and shredding most of it. Progress.
Then there is the last page that basically has nothing on it.
I save those to use at home for printing emails, receipts etc.
It is amazing the amount of paper that goes from the printer into the shredder right next to it.
We finally got rid of the FAX, a lot of crap from spam marketers that just wastes time and more paper.

The engine arrived in one piece, ordered a bunch more stuff for it and will get it up on the engine stand tomorrow to mount manifolds etc.
Should have the car together in time to store it for the winter.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are a couple of pics of the engine mocked up, I got my Ames orders so tomorrow I can tear the front down install gaskets for the timing cover, water pump etc.
Should have the car back together and running by Dec.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work. Neat that you are keeping the AIR intact.
Numbers matching car so yeah I have to go with the AIR.
Out here they don't require smog but they do require that all the original smog equipment is on the car and if the CHP does cite you good luck finding these parts.
If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have bought it and gone with a resto mod.
The period correct dist. was over 200 bucks, once I get it running I will have a bunch of after market parts FS here on the group.
If anyone wants a complete Mallory electronic dist., coil, cap, rotor wires etc. send me an email.
This was all new on the car when I bought it and I have no use for it.
I also have an extra 7037262 '67 Ca. carb I rebuilt that will be available once I get my original back from Cliff.
This one has all the mods done, rebushed with nice tight shafts that I will be running until my original comes back.
It will need the dashpot and bracket, mine is shot and I am trying to source one.
Just one more part at least that is what I tell my wife but she isn't buying what I am selling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am a couple weeks away from pulling out my engine and giving it to my pontiac guy. Can't tell you how much I love your pictures of your engine. Like art. Bty the striped shirts in the background create a nice presentation. Solid, dependable and workman like.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am a couple weeks away from pulling out my engine and giving it to my pontiac guy. Can't tell you how much I love your pictures of your engine. Like art. Bty the striped shirts in the background create a nice presentation. Solid, dependable and workman like.
Thanks, it's an old skool shop that had been there since 1948 and you don't know the players without the shirts.
I will post more pics when I finally get it assembled, I have the spark plug loom mounts that were missing and now I have to figure out where they go.
Everything else is ready for final assembly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
AIR Smog Pump Unit

Roper, was your AIR unit rebuilt - I have a '66 GTO Fremont built that has AIR system and somewhere down the road I will need to have it serviced or rebuilt.
Thanks,

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Roper, was your AIR unit rebuilt - I have a '66 GTO Fremont built that has AIR system and somewhere down the road I will need to have it serviced or rebuilt.
Thanks,
No, the bearings and valve are good on mine and it pumps air so I haven't done anything with it.

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks,
Well after inspecting the one way valves I found pieces of what I think are the vanes in them so I will have to have the pump rebuilt.
Cardone.com is the only rebuilder I could find, go to their site and download the form then you need to find a parts store that has a Cardone acct. to go through, they don't deal with the GP.

http://www.cardone.com/docs/default-source/r-r-forms/cardone-20rebuild-20-20return-20form-20--20rr101-20--20rev-2019.pdf

I also found this place, I will probably go with them since I don't need a middleman.

http://www.rebuildingfactory.com/index.html

1 - 20 of 53 Posts