Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Grand prix question

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Eric Animal 
#1 ·
I must start off with apologizing for asking grand prix related questions on a gto forum, but I could not find a suitable forum with any traffic. All I found was old abandoned forums where topics seem to remain unanswered for months. Or forums meant for the newer grand prix’s

Been looking at a cheap 63’ grand prix, but I can’t seem to figure out what the deal is with the brakes, are the drums integrated into the wheels but detachable? So in any case are you limited to the original wheels unless you convert to disc?
Is the grand prix considered an inferior model and therefore less desirable?

Any well known issues with the model? **** drive? Poor engineering?

#2 ·
Wow. No disrespect, but I recommend doing some homework/research. A bunch of it. Try Performanceyearsonline. There is a whole community committed to "Darksiders" (1958-70 Full size Pontiacs) and there is all the information you'd ever want./ The 8 lug wheels are an expensive option, and yes, the drums are integrated with the wheels. They are still expensive and collectable. If you don't care for them, you can simply install steel wheels and hubcaps or go with aftermarket. As for the Grand Prix being inferior and less desirable, it was the absolute top of the line

#5 ·
Gotta agree, the 63 GP is a stylish pavement monster. My brother is restoring one, but lately he's doing more work on my GTO than on his own vehicle. He paid big bucks to have the original 8 lugs relined and restored. ALKYGTO, I was under the impression that the 2 speed 'slim jim' is a decent Auto. Tranny. Maybe I'm wrong, but either way, the GP is a classy ride. I wanted to buy one of the few '68 GP's at Norwalk last year, but went with the GTO instead. Regrets??? HELL NO!!!!!:party:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.