Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased a Grant steering wheel adapter kit and steering wheel. I got 4193 kit doesnt fit even though it said it would I measured with caliper its.08" to small, the kit adapter is to sliding on my steering shaft. The steering wheel is not the greatest either its OK but I thought it would be a little better. Sending the kit back maybe send them both back. My steering shaft measures .72" there adapter measures .64"
But anyway if anyone knows the correct kit I would greatly appreciate passing it on.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Grant sometimes has known issues with the horn buttons popping off , You could contact them,
but I had great luck with a GT Performance GT3 classic retro steering wheel, (36-5459), their is a lighter or a darker wood version,
it was made much better,
And they helped a lot with finding the right kit parts for a particular GTO ,so to keep them in the loop for their help if needed, you should first order the Pontiac GTO install kit and the Pontiac O-ring style horn button direct from them online ,then, the GT wheels Themselves are a tad bit cheaper at Amaz if you want to save a few $$

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went to there web and located the correct kit, (I hope) Im going to look at other steer wheels as the one I have is kinda cheap feels hokey. Thanks Im going to look at your suggestions for sure

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s a pic of the GT 36-5459 wheel finished up Droach
View attachment 143324
Looks beeuteeful I took your advice Im sending the Grants back and ordered that exact one ( from Amazon). The only thing I dont like is its 16" and the original is 15". But I'll live with it its very nice looking I think the horn button Im getting is different than that one. All in all its about $100 more but its much better looking. I didnt realize how cheesy the Grants are. I didnt like it at all, kind of flimsey, doesnt feel right either. Looks like you have a tach in your dash? Does it work? Mine did not I think it may have been the HEI distributor. I have the engine and everything out ordered new stroker parts from Kauffman looking forward to when its up and running again
Thanks for your help love this forum

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Thankz , tach works great, you prob need the small tach conv box to get it to work if u got an HEI

There’s two Pontiac horn buttons
The GT High rise 11-1532 is the one I used
Worked well With the needed 4” wheel offset
For correct turn signal lever clearance..
A good O -ring design,It was on their website

Btw wheel actually only measures 15” , a perfect size , so you’re good There,
Its a solid feel of wood ‘meat’ vs thin wheels

my kit came with 2 cups that were slightly long or short and didn’t have a conv flange that I needed on mine to get the horn wire from the 10:30 o’clock position to the 2 o’clock position for the wheel, called and Tom Poteet at GT cust service sent it and a perfect fit 1-1/8 cup at no charge, he had researched GTOs and stayed with me till it was completed, he checked with me all along the way

here’s a few pics , I also changed out the turn signal switch while it was all apart,
great to actually have good cust service these days
71E8D22C-B20A-4486-A580-E2DF146CD237.jpeg 9ED2C6F8-B23B-4675-8D83-10EC14C59E7F.jpeg C6E5730E-F98B-41F6-B719-AB68D0973BAA.jpeg 8600AFF3-4E32-496E-B9E4-8D703E79D235.jpeg E2E5A3AB-921A-4C58-85BC-34E591C801BE.jpeg 70B15E12-91B5-4F3B-900F-415E5308A870.jpeg
309E2A26-6000-46E0-8755-E653292A54D0.jpeg

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a new switch also. This is great thanks really helps. Yours is so nice and clean mine is all rusted out just a mess Im going to clean it. Glad you sent me the pics I would have been lost, as usual. So I guess after i get everything I should call gt and see if I can get that part. I wonder why its advertised as 16". But I see you dont put the one big bolt back on but 3 smaller ones.
That looks just like my 67, I sold 5 years ago missed it so much I bought this 65, got burned bad.
Thnx again Jet
DR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts