Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that the dash on the 04 GTO and on my 04 Grand Prix are opposite. I mentioned it to someone and they knew the car was a Holden product and is the result or right hand dive down under. Interesting.

How about some general questions for you out there:

Is there a compass in the car? outside temp?

Are others finding it difficult to get the 6 speed into reverse, and are you doing so when you park?

It is cold already in Michigan and I find the car fogs up worse than my Grand Prix and I did not think that was possible. By the time I get to work I am ready to fall asleep because my eyes are so dried out from the defroster.

I have a difficult time removing the key, any suggestions?

Mt remote seems to only work about 20 feet from the car.

It the only way to unlock the passanger door leaning over, or using the key?

Is it possible to charge my phone overnight. The plug only works when car is running.

How about that tilt wheel. Mine is very difficult to move. So hard my wife is unable to do so.

Traction control make the car behave funny on the bumpy roads here in MI so I always have to turn it off. Do you have to do this every time you start the car?

Most importantly......How is it in the snow? or should I not ask. The dealer told me if it snows, call a flatbed to get it home. Is it that bad?

Anyone put snowtires on one yet.

One of the porters at the dealership says they have to disconnect the batteries because they go dead after a few days? I have driven mine every day so I do not know. Any truth to this?

I know this may seem negitive but it is not intended to be. This car drives just like my motorcycle, and I love it. Its just so different from other GM products.

Thanks

Gregg

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
gsmith said:
I just noticed that the dash on the 04 GTO and on my 04 Grand Prix are opposite. I mentioned it to someone and they knew the car was a Holden product and is the result or right hand dive down under. Interesting.
Yup....which was one of the reasons I bought it...it's not a P-P-P-Pontiac.

gsmith said:
Is there a compass in the car? outside temp?
Nope. They sell those temp-sensing / compass mirrors, though...

gsmith said:
Are others finding it difficult to get the 6 speed into reverse, and are you doing so when you park?
Put it into 1st to get the synchros lined up, then put it into reverse. And no, with parking brake on, I either leave it in neutral or, if on a hill, I put it in 1st.

gsmith said:
It is cold already in Michigan and I find the car fogs up worse than my Grand Prix and I did not think that was possible. By the time I get to work I am ready to fall asleep because my eyes are so dried out from the defroster.
I'm in CA where it's dry most of the tiome but is getting cold up in the mountains. We recently had a lot of rain, and it was very foggy this morning, and I have not noticed this problem.

gsmith said:
I have a difficult time removing the key, any suggestions?
Get your leg out of the way? :D

gsmith said:
Mt remote seems to only work about 20 feet from the car.
Dunno...I have good range on mine. Batteries?

gsmith said:
It the only way to unlock the passanger door leaning over, or using the key?
Lock the drivers door, then pop up the door lock. Both will pop up.

gsmith said:
Is it possible to charge my phone overnight. The plug only works when car is running.
Not absolutely sure, but you may be right. I charge my phone overnight in the house anyway.

gsmith said:
How about that tilt wheel. Mine is very difficult to move. So hard my wife is unable to do so.
Yeah, it takes a bit of muscling around. Once I've set it, however, I haven't messed with it.

gsmith said:
Traction control make the car behave funny on the bumpy roads here in MI so I always have to turn it off. Do you have to do this every time you start the car?
Yep. It starts defaulted to On.

gsmith said:
Most importantly......How is it in the snow? or should I not ask. The dealer told me if it snows, call a flatbed to get it home. Is it that bad?
Not sure...I'm planning on driving through the mountain snow this winter. In deep snow, you're probably hosed, though.

gsmith said:
One of the porters at the dealership says they have to disconnect the batteries because they go dead after a few days? I have driven mine every day so I do not know. Any truth to this?
Minimum wage! Heee-YAh! :D That's BS. I went out of town for a week recently, and my GTO fired right up when I got home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the door lock issue you change your settings so that when you press the unlock button on your key it unlocks both doors at the same time, and that way you don't have to press it twice :D

Chuck

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
chagloch said:
For the door lock issue you change your settings so that when you press the unlock button on your key it unlocks both doors at the same time, and that way you don't have to press it twice :D

Chuck

Oh, yeah...I did do that! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
chagloch said:

Chuck
Or you could just hold down the unlock button for a long second and both pop up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You said, "I know this may seem negitive but it is not intended to be."

Hey, this ain't no stinkin' dictatorship. Nonconstructive bad-mouthing is one thing, but sharing concerns and problems is what makes this and other boards worthwhile.

Most of your points have been answered, but I'll weigh in on a couple--

(1) My M6 (now with 3,800 miles after 7 months' ownership) is somewhat "notchy." In just the last few days, a had two occurrences of its popping out of 1st upon gentle-to-moderate launches. I posted this on another board and also e-mailed a client of my firm that just happens to have been on one of the GM teams that thrashed the pre-production GTO "mules." Here's the suggestion that emerged independently from these sources: After starting the engine, move the shifter into 3rd, then to 4th, and finally into 1st, particularly when the transmission is "cold." One person said in so many words not to be a "wimp" when engaging 1st. Here's the word straight from the guy that ought to know,

"By shifting into a lesser gear first ..., you get the tears [I think he meant "gears"] and syncros in the trans moving at engine speed and this allows shifting into first gear
much easier because everything is already moving. By starting the engine with the clutch in and trying to go right into first gear, it is harder because the syncro is trying to match up gear teeth and bring all the stationary parts in the trans up to engine speed."

(2) On the battery issue, even with the engine off and the car locked up, there's a slight current draw. If you leave the key in the ignition, there's quite a bit more draw. Do that with the audio system on, and it's even more. Back when they started shipping these things, the drivers left the keys in the ignition. So after sitting on the docks at Adelaide, two weeks or so on the ship, another couple of weeks in Benicia, CA, two weeks on the train that hauled them to Kansas City (for reasons known but to God and GM) the batteries were run down, so much so, that they wouldn't hold a charge. Mine and many others had to have the battery replaced (under warranty, of course).

(3) My remotes likewise have a 20-foot (or so) range, provided there's nothing between the remote and the on-board sensor. At least there's not much danger of inadvertently unlocking the doors or trunk.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your GTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great information. Do you think I should leave it in 2nd or 3rd gear when parking so everthing sinks up on starting? Like I said, Reverse is very difficult. Someone else suggested 1st. Reverse is ideal because I have to back out of the garage first thing.

What do you think of the lock out. I have no problem when driving the car aggressively (which is most of the time), it shifts beautifully. But in traffic that dam lock out sucks. I find if I move the stick to shift over 4th and don't engage , rather return to second....it will pull in to second. First to 4 in under 20 mph does not work so good.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
gsmith said:
What do you think of the lock out. I have no problem when driving the car aggressively (which is most of the time), it shifts beautifully. But in traffic that dam lock out sucks. I find if I move the stick to shift over 4th and don't engage , rather return to second....it will pull in to second. First to 4 in under 20 mph does not work so good.
Buy a CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection) Eliminator...that will end that problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Goofy habits

I have had a similar complaint with the passenger door; I will change the settings. Thanks for the tip.

Tilt wheel; once I set it, I have left it in place. It is not typical GM tilt wheel however. I would describe it as "adjustable" not "tilt"

Remote- over 20 feet - why would you use it so far away?

Snow; That reminded me of the reason I moved to California from Ohio: SNOW!

·
Registered
46 Posts
gsmith said:
Great information. Do you think I should leave it in 2nd or 3rd gear when parking so everthing sinks up on starting? Like I said, Reverse is very difficult. Someone else suggested 1st. Reverse is ideal because I have to back out of the garage first thing.

As for leaving it in 2nd or 3rd, try it and see; it can't hurt. For myself, having owned automatics for the last 30+ years, I'm afraid to leave it in gear. I use the parking brake, except on extreme inclines.

I know there are different schools of thought in this regard, and most people, including the dealership techs, leave in gear, usually 1st.

I generally avoid the skip-shift by accelerating very modestly or aggressively. Yeah, 4th gear at 20mph stinks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts