Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Regarding the next Xbox, it's your typical Microsoft vaporware. There isn't anything CLOSE to a working prototype yet. All the demos are being done using Apple Macintosh hardware -- but Gates and Ballmer conveniently forget to point that out. MSFT loses $1.5 billon a year on the Xbox. Expect it to continue. PS3 will rock.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Typical Microsoft vaporware. There isn't anything CLOSE to a working prototype yet. All the demos are being done using Apple Macintosh hardware -- but Gates and Ballmer conveniently forget to point that out. MSFT loses $1.5 billon a year on the Xbox. Expect it to continue. PS3 will rock.
This is why I have a PS2 and an Xbox w/ surround sound and a 36" T.V. in my "game room",(it's actually a bedroom with this and two chairs and a couch in it :cool )! I love them both, and plus I'm a badass at Halo 1 and 2.... :cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTODEALER said:
This is why I have a PS2 and an Xbox w/ surround sound and a 36" T.V. in my "game room",(it's actually a bedroom with this and two chairs and a couch in it :cool )! I love them both, and plus I'm a badass at Halo 1 and 2.... :cheers
Have you picked up Forza Motorsport yet? Cool game.

·
Registered
314 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Regarding the next Xbox, it's your typical Microsoft vaporware. There isn't anything CLOSE to a working prototype yet. All the demos are being done using Apple Macintosh hardware -- but Gates and Ballmer conveniently forget to point that out. MSFT loses $1.5 billon a year on the Xbox. Expect it to continue. PS3 will rock.
$1.5 Billion/Year?

I honestly don't think so; both Microsoft & Sony lose about $125/unit as is always the case to move product in the industry but software is biggest cashcow ever. You're talking about something that might cost $5 after R&D, Labor, Materials, etc but is selling for $50. Remember one unit, but most of us have multiple titles - I myself have 23 XBOX games. How can you conceivable think they are losing that much money?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
How can I conceive that figure? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because my wife was one of the first employees to join Sony Computer Entertainment of America, for starters. The figure has also been published in the media and noted by analysts. Some say it's cumulative. Some say it's annual. From what I see, it's annual. Trust me, there's a reason why that stock has been flat for the better part of five years -- even with cash dispersals in the form of dividends. There's also a reason why the head of their gaming division quit a couple of years ago -- because he knew the Xbox is a dead hippo rotting in the sun.

Everybody knows that Microsoft and Sony lose money on their hardware in order to drive software sales. However, your counterargument about the profitability of software sales is a gross oversimplification. They get a royalty on each piece of software sold -- a far different situation than pocketing all the revenue from a retail sale. Do you have any clue as to what the top selling games are? Vast majority still PS2. Yes, Xbox has one or two legitimate hits -- but they're still barely ahead of Nintendo. And the only reason Xbox gained market share over the holidays was because a parts shortage kept Sony from producing as many PS2s as people wanted. So they settled for an Xbox.

Microsoft, because the only thing they've ever been successful at is being a computer operating system and application software monopoly that got big by pushing computer geeks around, really knows how to flush money down the crapper. Hired a ton of people early on to develop titles on its own. Had dozens of people with six figure salaries wondering around office space in Seattle doing nothing for months because they staffed up so fast. Went nowhere for years before pulling the plug. Oops. Blew a fortune trying to drive online gaming through the Xbox. Anybody you know do it? And now the Xbox360 vaporware launch. That MTV launch special? You're looking at $40-50M right there. For what? To show off a styrofoam dummy with a green light bulb in it -- and games being played on a Mac. Preston Tucker would be proud.

In fact, the losses may get worse as Microsoft is now throwing gigantic money at developers, such as the Japanese guy who developed the Final Fantasy series, to get product exclusives. Typical Microsoft. When you can't compete with a better product -- bury the competition by throwing tons of money at it. Can't wait. With some of the deals they've signed, a title will have to sell 100 million units before they can break even. Good luck.

Signed,
Steve Bartman

·
Registered
314 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
How can I conceive that figure? Oh, I don't know. Maybe because my wife was one of the first employees to join PlayStation over 10 years ago, for starters.
It would be a waste of my time to engage in rhetoric with you as obviously there is a biased opinion. That, and I generally agree with 90% of what you say so there is no sense in burning a bridge, with that said enjoy your weekend.

Signed,

Shaquille O'Neal

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I haven't picked up Forza Motorsports yet, but I am installing a custom surround sound system in my "game" room this weekend :cool ! I'll have something cool to try it out on! :cheers

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
sboylan said:
It would be a waste of my time to engage in rhetoric with you as obviously there is a biased opinion. That, and I generally agree with 90% of what you say so there is no sense in burning a bridge, with that said enjoy your weekend.

Signed,

Shaquille O'Neal
No problem, Diesel!

·
Registered
386 Posts
RookWV said:
I've been watching E3 '05 Live on G4 TV and the consensus is that the PS3 is gonna kill the XBOX360.

XBOX360 is merely a minor update to the original XBOX with backwards compatibility to only "top" titles, plus a bunch of other useless attributes. It's just an excuse for Microsoft to soak more money out of the general public.

PS3 (merely from a hardware standpoint alone) is lightyears ahead of XBOX360.

I own both an XBOX and a PS2 and have owned them for the better part of their existence. I love my PS2 and think my XBOX was a waste of money. Needless to say, I won't be buying the XBOX360. I'll wait and save my $500 (or more) for the PS3, with it's $2000 worth of hardware.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I owe you guys an apology for my goofy anti-Xbox post last week. Went to the vet and got my distemper shots -- and have stopped foaming at the mouth, too.

Seriously, one of things I enjoy about this forum is that everybody here is really, really cool -- so sorry for coming off as the usual post board idiot.

Groucho, have fun at E3. I remember when the video game business used to exhibit at CES in Vegas in the early '90s. While the TV and car stereo companies got center stage -- all the gaming companies were out in these plastic tents in back of the LVCC. The inside temperature, from all the equipment, was about 95 degrees -- when it was 50 outside.

The industry got so P.O.'d by their treatment -- that they pulled out and started E3. I'd say the industry has grown a little bit since then!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
I owe you guys an apology for my goofy anti-Xbox post last week. Went to the vet and got my distemper shots -- and have stopped foaming at the mouth, too.

Seriously, one of things I enjoy about this forum is that everybody here is really, really cool -- so sorry for coming off as the usual post board idiot.

Groucho, have fun at E3. I remember when the video game business used to exhibit at CES in Vegas in the early '90s. While the TV and car stereo companies got center stage -- all the gaming companies were out in these plastic tents in back of the LVCC. The inside temperature, from all the equipment, was about 95 degrees -- when it was 50 outside.

The industry got so P.O.'d by their treatment -- that they pulled out and started E3. I'd say the industry has grown a little bit since then!
Now, now, b. You see yourself far too short.

I'd say you're a very unusual post board idiot. :D

Ahem. :cheers

Yeah, E3 is usually quite a spectacle- I've been going for about five years now, and it keeps getting bigger, louder, and more obnoxious.

I have all three platforms at home now (hell, because of my writing gig I get to write 'em off on my taxes :D ) but I vastly prefer PC-based racing sims such as GTR and Richard Burns Rally. As good and fun as they are, consoles just can't quite match the graphics and physics computing power of a modern gaming PC...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Groucho said:
As good and fun as they are, consoles just can't quite match the graphics and physics computing power of a modern gaming PC...
Do you think the PS3 and XBox 360 are getting closer? I played PC games in the early to mid 90s and then when my sons got old enough, I got into the consoles. I haven't played PC games in forever. Is the gap getting smaller?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts