Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken the original cast iron intake manifold off my 1974 350 and noticed a small steel "ball" inside the #5 runner, near the exit to the head. I assume that it is a remnant of the original casting process. I had no plans to do any polishing or grinding of the intake manifold runners, but it seems that I should grind this lump out with a dremel. Any thoughts on leaving it alone or removing it?

I have a couple of pics attached.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have taken the original cast iron intake manifold off my 1974 350 and noticed a small steel "ball" inside the #5 runner, near the exit to the head. I assume that it is a remnant of the original casting process. I had no plans to do any polishing or grinding of the intake manifold runners, but it seems that I should grind this lump out with a dremel. Any thoughts on leaving it alone or removing it?

I have a couple of pics attached.

Thanks.
I would remove it. You will never know how much the slag affects the flow into the heads without putting it on a flow bench.
Probably not much.
My concern would be if that slag would some how break off and end up in that cylinder and possibly bounce around and ending up in more than just that cylinder. I had a carburetor base plate bolt back out and bounce back and forth from cylinder to cylinder years ago.
YMMV
Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the inputs.

I took a very small cold chisel and popped it off with a couple of light taps with a hammer. Came off very clean, no follow-up needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts