Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have some light surface rust around the rear end , i plan on using a wire brush wheel on a drill to clean up the areas before i treat and paint up the spots, but i am thinking there could be some sparks from the grinding, should i remove fuel tank?......and if i should remove tank any tips i need to know before i start to remove it ?....thanks

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
If you cant smell gas and as long as you are not grinding ON the tank no problem. If you need to drop the tank drain it first- siphon the gas into a gascan- it will make it so much easier to handle

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Use a bronze or brass wire brush and you can't get any sparks that way. They sell them the same places they sell the steel ones.... You can also use a fiber brush.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use a bronze or brass wire brush and you can't get any sparks that way. They sell them the same places they sell the steel ones.... You can also use a fiber brush.
hi gee, ok brass dont spark i didnt know that, but after thinking about it i may as well remove tank and get better access to the areas, i will be able to clean up all the areas above tank too so may as well take tank out, not sure how difficult that is but i assume shouldnt be too hard, thanks

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
VERY True bronze and brass don't spark! They will generate heat by friction.....but not enoug to blow you or your GTO up!!

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
hi gee, ok brass dont spark i didnt know that, but after thinking about it i may as well remove tank and get better access to the areas, i will be able to clean up all the areas above tank too so may as well take tank out, not sure how difficult that is but i assume shouldnt be too hard, thanks
It's not hard, just bulky/awkward. As been mentioned, get as much gas out of it as you can to get rid of some weight. If you don't have an extra pair of hands, you may want to use a floor jack and a 2x6 or similar to help steady the tank when taking the nuts off for the tank straps. Lower it a little to disconnect sending unit wire, ground and fuel line.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not hard, just bulky/awkward. As been mentioned, get as much gas out of it as you can to get rid of some weight. If you don't have an extra pair of hands, you may want to use a floor jack and a 2x6 or similar to help steady the tank when taking the nuts off for the tank straps. Lower it a little to disconnect sending unit wire, ground and fuel line.
ok great, thanks everyone the tank is coming out....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts