Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many of you drive your GTO every day. My girlfriend really likes the new GTO and we have started considering trading in her Saturn SUV for a '05 or possibly a new '04. A muscle car would be a new experience for her, she has driven my C5 once. My Corvette stays in the garage and is driven once or twice a week. Ant thoughts on how the car will handle daily driving. She will have to learn to park in the boonies in parking lots and watch how she parks.
Thanks for any input to help with this decision!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
kevin21 said:
Just curious how many of you drive your GTO every day. My girlfriend really likes the new GTO and we have started considering trading in her Saturn SUV for a '05 or possibly a new '04. A muscle car would be a new experience for her, she has driven my C5 once. My Corvette stays in the garage and is driven once or twice a week. Ant thoughts on how the car will handle daily driving. She will have to learn to park in the boonies in parking lots and watch how she parks.
Welcome to the forum!

I drive to and from work, a 240 mile round trip, every single day....it's a great daily car.

Vitals from this morning's commute to work ...blasting from my home at nearly sea-level in Bakersfield, over a 4200' pass in the Tehachapi mountains on the I-5, then working through morning rush-hour traffic from Valencia south and on through LA freeways:

Trip: 119.22 miles
Time: 1 hour 31 minutes
Avg Speed: 76.8 mph
Avg MPG: 19.9 mpg

And smiling the entire way. :cool

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Groucho said:
Welcome to the forum!

I drive to and from work, a 240 mile round trip, every single day....it's a great daily car.

Vitals from this morning's commute to work ...blasting from my home at nearly sea-level in Bakersfield, over a 4200' pass in the Tehachapi mountains on the I-5, then working through morning rush-hour traffic from Valencia south and on through LA freeways:

Trip: 119.22 miles
Time: 1 hour 31 minutes
Avg Speed: 76.8 mph
Avg MPG: 19.9 mpg

And smiling the entire way. :cool
Wow, Groucho I feel for you with that long of a commute. How many miles do you have on yours? Any problems?

My commute is 7 miles. The GTO is my only car. It mostly does every thing I need. When the time comes to haul something, we have a U-Haul dealer fairly close that rents pick-ups and vans. Costs about 45 bucks for the day, and for the 5-6 times a year I use it, it wouldn't pay to get a truck.
I had 2 Camaro's and a C5 Z06 before this and I just don't think I be happy in a truck/SUV.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine is a daily driver too. I'll probably put on about 30K before the year is out. I can't tell you how happy I am with this car. Smooth, refined, quiet, great stereo, super comfy seats and decent all around mileage (19). All makings of a great daily driver. Oh yeah, and it will smoke about 95% of the cars on the road with ease too. Mine is the 05 Auto, and I have about 3500 miles on so far. I've also found it to be a great conversation piece in my travels, so many people are unaware that this car even exists. They hear the motor, immediately ask what's in it. Then they see the 6.0 litre badges, look inside check out the interior. I'm getting alot of "wow's". Then you tell them 400 hp and it's like, "WOW!" "built in Australia?!"

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Wow, Groucho I feel for you with that long of a commute. How many miles do you have on yours? Any problems?

My commute is 7 miles. The GTO is my only car. It mostly does every thing I need. When the time comes to haul something, we have a U-Haul dealer fairly close that rents pick-ups and vans. Costs about 45 bucks for the day, and for the 5-6 times a year I use it, it wouldn't pay to get a truck.
I had 2 Camaro's and a C5 Z06 before this and I just don't think I be happy in a truck/SUV.
No problems. None. Zilcho. Zero.

Holden can really build a car!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
As a daily driver, the GTO will be fine. Since you're in a Saturn VUE, she'll probably be a lot more comfortable in the automatic -- and there's nothing wrong with that. Don't sweat the gas mileage, either. A little patience with the loud pedal results in combination MPG numbers around 17 to 19.

The only real problem I see is that the rear visibility is extremely poor -- so she might be kind of uncomfortable with that when backing out of tight parking spaces, parallel parking, etc. But since the visibility out of any SUV stinks anyway, that won't be a big adjustment.

In return, you'll get a wonderful car with an outstanding drivetrain, fantastic build quality inside and out, and one of the best interiors that can be had at any price. Whether you get an '04 at a substantial discount or an '05 between invoice and sticker -- you will not go wrong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I drive mine all the time. I've always driven PU trucks, so when my boy needed wheels, he wanted a truck, we looked around for a good used pickup for him. While reading the ads, I first saw the GTO was back. No brainer! He drives my truck, which is still cherry, and I got a fun ride for myself for 27K. And I still have a truck when I need to use it. But he gets laid more than I do, even though I have the better ride. I won't let him drive my car, I know he wouldn't be able to control all that power)
So, Yes, I drive mine all the time because he's never home anymore.

·
Registered
304 Posts
With my job, I will probably put around 25,000 a year (not including leisure). But I will use the Camaro once a week or a couple times so the miles don't pack on at an uncontrolable rate ;) I love both of these cars, so it's always a treat to drive no matter what day it is! :party:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine is my daily driver, i drive it to work 7 mile round trip 14 days a month. I usually go out with my friends once or twice a month also and go cruising once a week. I average a tank of gas every couple of weeks although this fill up it only needed 12 galons. I took it to the mountains late Feb and put 500 miles on it that weekend, I picked the car up last of January and am right at 2500 miles. I love the car and everyone says it is the first one they have ever seen.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Drive mine back and forth Mon thru Fri. 50 miles round trip. We drive my Wife's Grand Am GT sedan on the weekends. The GTO is a great car as a daily driver. My commute has a variety of driving between highway and city streets. My average mpg is in the 19-20 range. :cheers

·
Registered
233 Posts
I drive mine every day about 50 miles round trip have not had any problems to date. We too drive my wife's Grand Am GT on the weekends, unless the weather is nice, then the goat comes out of the garage.... :cool :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
pwraddict said:
Since you are up in Wisconsin, have you driven your goat in the snow yet?
I drove my car the entire winter. It handled great in the snow. I didn't use snow tires, I just used good judgement and caution. It got squirrely on me a couple of times, but that was only because I was a little too throttle happy. Overall, I had no problems driving in the snow. The traction control does it's job just fine!!! :cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
GumbyGoat said:
I drove my car the entire winter. It handled great in the snow. I didn't use snow tires, I just used good judgement and caution. It got squirrely on me a couple of times, but that was only because I was a little too throttle happy. Overall, I had no problems driving in the snow. The traction control does it's job just fine!!! :cheers
Thanks. You just confirmed my decision to get a GTO in a few months. I test drove a yellow 04 auto and fell in love. Now I just need to find my black 05 6 speed....... :cool

·
Registered
123 Posts
Drove my 04 M6 just about every day during winter here in New England. Have an 80 mile round trip commute from hell and really didn't run into problems. The only time I did was when I was driving down a hill and wasn't paying attention. Went to take the dog leg to turn left and smacked into the curb. Had some rim damage (very minor) and cut the side wall (not too bad), but, like I said, I wasn't paying attention.

Really have no complaints about the winter commute. Much better than my 01 WS6.

I just bought a beater explorer 4x4 for next winter..! Don't want to take the Goat out in the bad weather if I don't have to..! :)

Happy motoring..!

:party:

·
Registered
165 Posts
pwraddict said:
Thanks. You just confirmed my decision to get a GTO in a few months. I test drove a yellow 04 auto and fell in love. Now I just need to find my black 05 6 speed....... :cool
Glad to help and let me know how you, or anyone else for that matter, like driving a black car. I want to trade up to an 06 next year and want to get black/red interior m6. Never owned a black car. You always hear the stuff about it being too hot in the Summer and hard to keep clean. As anal as I am about my cars, I don't think keeping it clean will be an issue, but the heat issue... :cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
kevin21 said:
Our GTO is her GTO. My wifes daily drives her muscle car and loves it :cool

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.