Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving last night when I noticed "a sound" coming from my engine. Sounded like something was hitting metal in a repeating fashion. I pulled over immediately and found that my serpentine Gator Back Belt had become eaten and completely off track.

I had put the belt on about 1500 miles ago. Have had no issues up until now. I had actually checked the belts when I did my fluid check about 3 weeks ago and the idlers and pulleys looked in line.

Put on a new standard belt, drove it home (about 20 miles) with no issues.

Worst part was watching cars pass by and stare while the goat sat on the side of the road waiting for my buddy to show up with the wrench lol.......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had a problem with mine throwing belts cuased by an underdrive crank pulley. do you have an underdrive pulley? How is the tensioner, smooth or choppy?
This is the first time that a belt failed. I had read good things online about them and found a good deal on a combo package so I pulled the trigger.

I do not have an UDP. I hope to get one in the future, but not yet. The tensioner is smooth. I have checked the pulleys and idlers and none had any play and rotated smooth.

I was seaching just on gatorbacks in general and found a couple of people with the same issues (premature belt failure). (I am not saying gatorback belts are bad, for every bad thing I have read there have been 6 comments where people have had no issues)

I put a wrench and the spare belts I had in my trunk as a just in case. If for some reason another one goes then I will have to look much, much closer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts