Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I traded in my Lightning about 6 months ago for a Mustang GT and I can't stand the power deficit. I'm shopping for a GTO, but I figured I'd ask for some advice from the owners...

Any specific year model I should avoid?
Any warranty issues/problems?
What's the performance difference between the '04s and the '05/'06 years?

Thanks dudes & dudettes!

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
sharkbite1979 said:
Well, I traded in my Lightning about 6 months ago for a Mustang GT and I can't stand the power deficit. I'm shopping for a GTO, but I figured I'd ask for some advice from the owners...

Any specific year model I should avoid?
Any warranty issues/problems?
What's the performance difference between the '04s and the '05/'06 years?

Thanks dudes & dudettes!
get an 05 for less than an 06. the only difference there is door lock swich, darker tail lights, extra power outlet, light up steering wheel.

the 04 is 350hp the 05/06 is 400/400 tq. we have a problem with the rear end whine. the pedal sensor will more than likely go out. but it is all under warranty so there is no problem with that. i have 15200+ miles on mine and only had the pedal sensor problem.
and yes the strut rub problem that i have not had

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've been researching goats for a while now and my wife had finally heard enough of me bitching about the stang and pouting when a gto drove by. I think I'll go with an '05, but I've gotta find someone that wants the stang first.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sharkbite 1979 should find some irony in this:
So, when I decided I wanted a new GTO, I knew something had to leave the garage to make room for it. I had a 2003 Lightning with the usual mods and 4500 miles. Nice truck, surprisingly fast and more fun than a truck should be. With the ported blower and open intake, it would scare kids and dogs off the sidewalk. To be sure, the Lightning is a truck, not like an El Camino (of which I own 2). I drove the new GTO and that was it. The Lightning had to go to make room for it. But I found a better solution. I bought a parking lift so I can stack 'em two high in the garage.

The GTO is an M6 which was stock until the moment I got it home. Let the mods begin! The skip shift eliminator was first, followed by a GMM Rip shift and Royal Purple in the tranny. Now all it needs is a blower. The good news is that they are readily available and even come with emission approval. How good is that? Do you remember how many people had no idea what a Lightning was? Or what it could do to their day? Wait until you get into a new GTO. Nobody has any idea what they are...........

I think I need to go to car rehab......................

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'll just add a blurb that I often throw out, due to my own recentish buying experience.

If you are looking to buy used, that is no problem. If you are looking to buy new, and want an 05 M6, your choices might be pretty slim. If you want an 05 and either want an A4 or have no preference, it shouldn't be so hard.

When I was searching for my GTO back in March, I tried looking for 05s. But when I would look at the cars available using gmbuypower, checking dealers from several cities in the eastern half of TX, I think I found a single 05 M6 still on the lots--and it was black, a color I just didn't want (previous car was black and it never looked clean). On top of that, it didn't seem anyone was willing to come down on the 05 prices :confused So I bought an 06.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, have to agree. Trying to find a new '05 M6 is going to be pretty slim (especially in the Western Region). The best deals to be had were during March Madness Sale. Some (including me), obtained a new '05 for under $25K (combining rebates/incentives, GM Card, Dealer IVC's, etc.). If you want a good price on an '05, you are going to have to be willing to travel (I bought mine in another state). Good luck and good hunting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.