Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'69 GTO sat for a few months and will not go in/out of gear. Tried starting with rear end jacked up, let motor and drivetrain warm up and tried braking (fast quick taps) with the clutch depressed and clutch would not disengage. Any tips on what to do?
Separate/related question: My understanding is these should only start in neutral - but this vehicle only starts in gear. Is there a switch which may be reversed or something?

·
Registered
795 Posts
theres a couple ways,,,, put it on the ground ... get a couple buddies ...
rock the car front to back in gear ... the disc is stuck to the flywheel or the pressure plate...
with the pedal depressed ... if that doesnt work we can go to more desperate measures

gotta rock it hard back n forth

·
Registered
57 Posts
This may sound kind of brutal. It will only work if you have a safe amount of room, as not to hit anything. Let it warm up good, then start it on the ground, in gear, foot hard on the brake, clutch pedal pressed. The torque should release the disc from what it's stuck to, either the flywheel, or the pressure plate. I've done this many times, mostly on yard trucks, that sit for long periods.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
I've done it with the rear end up on jack stands so the wheels will spin. Do this outside where there is no object in front of you should something happen. The get the tires spinning at a reasonable speed, push the clutch to the floor, then slam on the brakes like you were locking them up. You must push in the clutch to get the clutch disc to brake free. You might have to do this a couple times, but it should work. You don't need to let it warm up and light taps won't do it.

Also, this was not mentioned, check all your linkages. Make sure they are operating and nothing broke or bent on you.

If your car had a neutral safety switch, it would operate off the clutch pedal when you pushed it to the floor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pontiac Jim, I was definitely doing more than light taps since the engine was nearly dying. I tried reving up a little, maybe 1,000 rpm with the vehicle on jack stands, but there were a lot of drivetrain noises when I put on the brakes so I was afraid of doing any damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts