Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I drive my GTO 90% of the time. When it's snowing, I take my other car.

I don't care what anyone says - the GTO is a pig in the snow. I've lived in Denver all my life and have been driving in snow for some time now. It's prolly no worse than any other high performance car, but I think it's a bad idea to drive it in the snow - for no other reason than all the other idiots out there and the gravel.

As far as other factors, it's quite comfortable and a blast to drive. The ride is very firm, but not annoying. The exhaust note is noticeable to be sure, but also not annoying. I drive an M6 in traffic and fine it to be just fine - not annoying at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Pig as in it's all over the road.

Now I'm speaking relatively of course. It's prolly no worse than any other high horsepower RWD car with wide tires.

I'm a very capable snow driver. But, my GTO stays in the garage if it's snowing. I have that luxury.

If I didn't have another car, the GTO would have been a tough sell for me. It's not good in the snow, has a laughably small trunk (this annoys me more and more), bad mileage, and expensive upkeep (expensive tires, premium gas, synthetic oil) and is bad if you're hauling >2 people.

BUT....and there's a HUGE but here...It's sinfully fun to drive.

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE my GTO. But, living in Denver, I don't know if I would have it if I didn't have another car to drive in the snow or for when I need to haul people or things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
100% on the road. Good for everything but wet roads. We don't get much snow here. It drives the rain fine, but I have to play nice or I lose traction in a heartbeat. Keepin it clean every day is a different story. Birds seem to be attracted to the torrid red, and I have taken t o keeping car wash wipes in the glove box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
I drive it just about everyday, but it's not my "daily driver", if that makes any sense. I have a fleet vehicle that I use for work, the Goat for errands, the gym, and just to feel good. ;) If I lived in a snowy climate, I don't think I'd drive in those condition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
daily driver, monthly car wash and i drive it in the snow with no problems.

I guess that is because i have blizzaks on it from november to april.

I also dont drive it the way it was meant to be driven, or dont know how to drive because i leave the TC on all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
SJAndrew said:
Pig as in it's all over the road.

Now I'm speaking relatively of course. It's prolly no worse than any other high horsepower RWD car with wide tires.

I'm a very capable snow driver. But, my GTO stays in the garage if it's snowing. I have that luxury.

If I didn't have another car, the GTO would have been a tough sell for me. It's not good in the snow, has a laughably small trunk (this annoys me more and more), bad mileage, and expensive upkeep (expensive tires, premium gas, synthetic oil) and is bad if you're hauling >2 people.

BUT....and there's a HUGE but here...It's sinfully fun to drive.

Don't get me wrong....I LOVE my GTO. But, living in Denver, I don't know if I would have it if I didn't have another car to drive in the snow or for when I need to haul people or things.
After driving several Mustangs and a 2 wheel drive work truck in the snow, I think the GTO does great for a RWD car. It is heavy and has a good traction control system. I drive mine everyday and it is much better than I thought it would be.

My gripes for a daily driver - no place to hang clothes from the dry cleaners, slow seat motors to allow kids, packages, etc into the back seat, rear spoiler obtstructs view when looking in rearview mirror, no compass or heated seats (my last few cars had these features and I got used to them) 1-4 skip shift sucks in slow traffic, and low beams are not that great (but high beams are awsome). That being said, I love the car! I would have bought an STS if I wanted more comfort features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
I drive mine evryday. I also have other cars to choose from during bad weather but I choose to drive the GTO. It is actually pretty good in the snow. Not as good as a fwd but alot more fun. It has never left me stuck on the side of the road like th BMW's I see.

I am actually contemplating buying an Orange 06 and using this as my beater and the 06 as my weekend driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
cup holder

QwkRed05GTO said:
After driving several Mustangs and a 2 wheel drive work truck in the snow, I think the GTO does great for a RWD car. It is heavy and has a good traction control system. I drive mine everyday and it is much better than I thought it would be.

My gripes for a daily driver - no place to hang clothes from the dry cleaners, slow seat motors to allow kids, packages, etc into the back seat, rear spoiler obtstructs view when looking in rearview mirror, no compass or heated seats (my last few cars had these features and I got used to them) 1-4 skip shift sucks in slow traffic, and low beams are not that great (but high beams are awsome). That being said, I love the car! I would have bought an STS if I wanted more comfort features.
My biggest conplaint is why do they bother to put cupholders in?

They are only good for holding closed beverage containers. I was so angry the first time I had a half full cup of coffee and tried to accelerate slowly and still had coffee come out of the little hole. "by slowly I mean not stomping on it";)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
mumrah said:
My biggest conplaint is why do they bother to put cupholders in?

They are only good for holding closed beverage containers. I was so angry the first time I had a half full cup of coffee and tried to accelerate slowly and still had coffee come out of the little hole. "by slowly I mean not stomping on it";)
No eating or drinking in the goat!!!! That is rule #1!!! Rule #2 is NO SMOKING!!!!:cheers


I'm very peticular with my GTO and it is my daily driver....:party:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
The GTO is great as a daily driver, but bear in mind that I'm in metro Phoenix. It neither snows nor rains here.

The only bummer about my Goat being my daily driver is the wear and tear. I work hard to keep the car looking perfect, but every wash I find a nick or two that I have to fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
I drive my GTO everywhere! I've had it since April "05 and have WAY TOO MANY Miles. I hit 23k last night (was in a band playing in LA area 2 times a week) I dont have snow, but the rain does come in every once in a while. The handling of the car is excellent in inclimate weather compared to my previous car (97 camaro RS). Overall, I am really pleased with my goat (even though I have that many miles). At that rate, when things need to be replaced (rotors, suspension, etc) I'll opt for the better aftermarket stuff!
The Drivability of the car is great for all these crazy LA drivers.

:party:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
Put 1K on it a month -- and that's with daily driving. Awesome for day in and day out use. No snow here -- but is a lot of fun in the rain. No major complaints. Thought the tiny trunk was going to be a pain -- but you can get a lot of stuff in there because the rear deck is so high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
I've been daily driving my GTO for over 2 years now. No complaints at almost 30K miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Everyday! If it's nice I take the bike. We dont get that much snow here in KS. But if we did, I'd probley still drive it, you just have to drive it A LOT different. I think she's fun in the snow:D You just have to watch for other idiots!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Looks like I'm in the minnority, but I only drive mine once a week to work and that's weather permitting. I do drive it quite a bit on the weekends. I just don't take it out in rain or snow because I've got other options. I'm probably averaging 600-700 miles a month- - -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Well I live in Maine where we say " If you don't like the weather wait 5 min. it will change." which it does the GTO has been my daily driver for 2 years and I have a whopping 12,136 on her.(I only work like 2.5 mi from my house so the miles don't rack up, but she sure is fun to drive.As for the mileage I get pretty good mileage as long as I keep my foot out of it and the tires I get for dirt cheap. My best friend works at a disc. place where I'm gonna pick up some nice 18" chrome rims with tires(Anyone know the max width to goat can handle in the rear with 17's and 18's?)And as for the price of gas if I wanted a cheapy I'd bought a Honda:rofl: Enjoy the fun and confort of you goat and keep her clean and happy, and she'll make you real happy:cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Rookies. :lol:

I have 63,000 miles on my Holden, driving my round-trip commute of 220 miles every day through both open highway and snarled LA traffic.

Now that I've fixed the cars few shortcomings (too-soft suspension, barely adequate brakes, rubbery shifter, no satellite radio, embarrassing P-P-Pontiac badging) and equipped her with the best freeway ELINT in existance (Valentine One for teh win!), it's the best damned GT for the money in existance. Comfortable, fast, reliable, sharp handling, fun, fast (yes, I know I've said it twice- but it is fast), and decently economical for a V8...it really can't be beat.

I love it.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top