Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You know it is funny but I live in the northeast and most of the time people don't really notice my goat. I drive it to work and back when it isn't snowing. It is funny though recently I have either been stopped at a light or on the freeway and have had some funny incidents. First one was some lady who was next to me at a light in her toyota camry and pulled forward a little so I inched forward to see who was driving and it looked like a 40 yr old plus woman. She is grinning over at me and I thought ok either she likes the car or hears the loud exhaust and is shaking in her boots, lol. I have had a few people comment on the car when I am pumping gas. The other night had to be the weirdest. I am on the freeway and these kids, college-aged I believe are in a subaru outback wagon and are next to me, the passenger staring wildly at me. So I figure ok I'll step on it and I blew them off. But they didn't have enough and proceeded to stay up next to me on the freeway after I had slowed down. I am thinking ok either they love the GTO or they hate it. Either way, I knew who had the cajones. Has anyone had funny or strange episodes like that? Maybe it is part of that Car and Driver B*** about mustang being more aesthetic and appealing. Just curious. I am a little older at 35 and wonder should I be in a more refined car such as a M3 which has as much speed but is all about class and a name. Do older guys look like they should be in a suv or sedan? I bought the gto because it was inconspicous , people know what it is and is fast yet affordable. My uncle had a 87 buick gn when I was a kid and loved it. It was humble, but every car afficonado knew what it was. My gto is my take on my generation of a fast car. Hope that the new concept like the Camaro will definitely appear.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I consider the GTO a very refined car. Refined cars can have big V8's and dual exhaust too. :)

I love the underdog image of the goat, cause every review magazine hates it so much. They can claim they're unbiased all they want, but in the end all the comparos are about two things, looks and whether or not it's a GM vehicle.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Worst stare I've gotten was on Interstate. Was letting my son drive (18), and a Mustang GT pulled up beside and just glared at him for a few seconds, then eased on ahead.

He looked at me, I looked at him, and as painful as it was, I had say "Don't even think about it!"

Gotta be a good role model for the lad :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know if I could have done that, I'm too much of a show off. But great control on your part...

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
Mine's yellow. Gets starred at all the time. (no bragging intended!):cool
Same here ...and love it!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I enjoy mysterious affect as most dont know what it is. If it weren't for my SAP rear bumper, there isn't one thing on the car thats leads anyone to beleive its a GTO. I put the Holden badges on the rear deck lid and installed the side repeater lamps where the GTO badges were. When I pull up next to someone they always look and I think they're trying to figure out what it is.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wife and I were on the way home on I-20 from Vicksburg, MS and in no particular hurry. Crusin' along about 70 and these two young fellers (about 17 or 18) in a ricer come zoomin' up from behind in the left hand lane and throw on the binders when they recognize the Goat. They ease up beside us, look the car over and then take a look at my 59 year old grey hair and the wife's grey hair, shake their heads, floor it and are gone. We both had a good laugh knowin' that these guys are thinking, "What a waste". Little did they know that I like a little fun now and then, but that day wasn't the day. -Jim

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had the usual good comments at lights and gas stations, but the one that caught me off guard was in a grocery store parking lot. As I got out a well-to-do nice looking mom and her 10 year old son walked by and the kid was giving me a thumbs up with compliments. Some kids are just raised right I guess. :lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just today I had a kid on a scooter taking pictures with his camera phone while I checked my mail in my apartment complex. There's a group of young guys (11-15) who always give the thumbs up and mouth "nice car" when I go by. I know they're just kids, but the respect doesn't stop. They do this every time I see them. Odd considering most kids are jacka$$es these days.

Anyway, today was one of the days that I did an obligatory burnout for the kid taking the picture and his friend. Remember how cool that would've been when I was their age

·
Registered
8 Posts
6.0 Try Me!

I love the looks I get. I've got the Torrid Red! HOT!
I live in a town where 4 bangers are everywhere. Normally they just smile when I let them pass me. If a Mustang ever gets beside me, even if it's a 4 and not the GT, I make sure I make it to the next light before them.
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Anyway, today was one of the days that I did an obligatory burnout for the kid taking the picture and his friend. Remember how cool that would've been when I was their age[/QUOTE]

That would have been so cool when I was a kid!:party:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The 1st month I had mine I was parked at a McDonalds when 2 cops parked a few spaces down walked up and just stood at my doorside. I rolled down my window expecting to hear that I have a light out or a plate out of date, or something like that. The first one said "Sir, is this your car?" "Yes." Then the second one cut in "Man! Weve never seen one of these up close!! can we look inside? Can you pop the hood? :cool

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a cop pull up next to me, motioned me to roll down the window, So I did and asked him if he wanted to race! He laughed and said he could never catch me. We talked until the light turned green Of course I let him go first.

Columbus,GA:cool :

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
johnebgoode said:
I enjoy mysterious affect as most dont know what it is. If it weren't for my SAP rear bumper, there isn't one thing on the car thats leads anyone to beleive its a GTO. I put the Holden badges on the rear deck lid and installed the side repeater lamps where the GTO badges were. When I pull up next to someone they always look and I think they're trying to figure out what it is.

Word.

When I stay in a Hotel and have to ID which car is mine, I write "2004 Holden Monaro."

:cool

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
noz34me said:
Worst stare I've gotten was on Interstate. Was letting my son drive (18), and a Mustang GT pulled up beside and just glared at him for a few seconds, then eased on ahead.

He looked at me, I looked at him, and as painful as it was, I had say "Don't even think about it!"

Gotta be a good role model for the lad :D

You are stronger than me. My son(7 years old) wants a GTO when he graduates college. I told him if he does what I expect I will give him mine.

Good to fill them with values young!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had quite a few acknowledgements in my car.. Had a 60 yr old lady give me a thumbs up at wally world when I had 1200 miles on my car.. Had a vette guy give me a thumbs up at a light bout 2 weeks ago, that made me smile.. just yesterday I had 2 guys in a wrx give me 2 thumbs up as I was cruising thru the mall parking lot.. I love the sound of the car as its going by the parked cars.. I've had countless people at lights inch forward to read what it says on the fender under the mirrors.. I was chilling in the hooters parking lot waiting for a friend.. I was parked under the street light and these guys come out of hooters and are walking towards my car and my windows were cracked.. I could hear them saying "Damn that car is clean" "Wow that car looks good" "Hey thats the new GTO, that thing looks mean" and the last guy put a big smile on my face "Damn I want one, is that the 6.0 liter, yep it is.. I love it" I rolled down my window and thanked them and proceeded to talk to them cause they started asking questions and wanted to check out the interior.. So far everyone that sits in my car says that its the most comfy interior they have sat in.. They all love it.. I didn't get half this much attention in my BMW and I had all kinds of cosmetic upgrades to it..

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.