Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had mine for about 2 months now, a whopping 1600 miles... but either I'm going deaf, or the car is getting quieter lately.

I like that exhaust note, so I'm a bit concerned. It is still loud on hard accelerations, but I think that rumble when its standing still is fading.

The only thing I've done to the car is change the oil (synthetic).

Is this just my imagination or is there some explaination for this ???

Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTO Getting quiet

Umm, I don't think its gotten "weak", just less noisy.

Does anybody know if the computer in the GTO is one that watches how you drive and adjusts accordingly? Could it be I've been doing too much city stop-and-crawl driving?

·
Registered
51 Posts
LarryM said:
Umm, I don't think its gotten "weak", just less noisy.

Does anybody know if the computer in the GTO is one that watches how you drive and adjusts accordingly? Could it be I've been doing too much city stop-and-crawl driving?
In most cases after the exhaust has been broken in you should actually hear an increase in sound. Due to the fact that the exhaust packing when heated to a certain temperature starts to break down and let's more sound escape and not be supressed. I think you might be getting used to the sound. You could stick it on a Db meter if you got really antsy to see if it is just you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTO - Quiet?

I bought some 100 octane fuel this weekend ($3.959! Ouch!) and stomped on it every chance I got. I think it just was me getting used to it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
LarryM said:
I bought some 100 octane fuel this weekend ($3.959! Ouch!) and stomped on it every chance I got. I think it just was me getting used to it.
I think it may be time to start modding. I would start with that new performance package rear bumper so you have dual exhaust outlets. Then I would pipe 2 3/4 inch mandrel bent stainless steel with daul single chamber flowmasters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts