Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My friend sent me these pics of a very sad site. About 20-30 GTOs, a few mopars and some other 60s to early 70s cars just rotting in a field. These cars are sitting behind a house in a wealthy neighborhood in so cal, but aren't actually on their property. They're sitting in a clearing off of a fire road. I'm going to attempt to contact the owner and see what their story is.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
That's a shame. I wish I could say I've never seen that before, but I have, all too many times over the years. The ironic thing is, these cars, being rust free, would still be deemed restorable. The $$$ spent to restore would far outweigh the value, though, unless the car in question was a super rare optioned car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I went by and talked to the owner. He's been collecting them for 20+ years and has plans to restore them all. He wouldn't let me see them and refuses to sell any. Oh well. Hopefully they brought enough joy to their previous owners and will still be there 20 years from now for someone else to restore.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
:( What a shame as I can't see anyone "restoring" all those cars by themselves and more than likely they will rust beyond repair and be scrapped to make more Prius' and Leaf hybrid crap-mobiles. :shutme

·
Registered
179 Posts
Graveyard

So I went by and talked to the owner. He's been collecting them for 20+ years and has plans to restore them all. He wouldn't let me see them and refuses to sell any. Oh well. Hopefully they brought enough joy to their previous owners and will still be there 20 years from now for someone else to restore.
:cool He's gonna restore them "someday." What a jerk. He has neither the money nor the time. Pick two to keep and sell the rest!!!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Did you ask how many he has restored so far....my guess is ZERO. People like that have them overvalued in their mind, are hoarders, and have no idea what it takes to "restore" a classic. California or not mother earth will soon reclaim them and there will be 10 less GTO's in this world.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He wasn't rude, but was not at all friendly so I didn't get a chance to chat. Every true car collector I've ever come across has been happy to talk about their collection. This guy was in his late 30s to early 40s and didn't seem to fit the profile of the neighborhood he was in. I counted 25 cars on google earth in plain view and know from the pics above that there are several under the trees. I wouldn't recomend pursuing this one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I gurantee you he won't do anything with these cars other than to let them rust to nothingness. People like that always plan to "restore it someday" and like the CCR song says "Someday...never comes."

There is a guy in my aunt and uncles hometown. He had a nice, clean, straight 56 T-Bird droptop. It needed some work, but was in really good condition. It sat under his carport (not an enclosed garage, a covered carport) with the top down. My family are not Ford people and don't really like the Baby Birds, but it was still a nice car. Dad went over and talked to the guy about it and he was kind of rude, saying it wasn't for sale and he was gonna "fix it up like new" one day. So it sat under the carport, with the top down. Not up even, down. I was 13 or so.

I am now almost 42. Guess where that car is? In Fordyce, Arkansas sitting under a carport with the top still down, full of dust, water, leaves and pine needles, rusted to hell and gone on 4 dry rotted flat tires. But I am sure that guy is gonna fix it up like new any day now.

·
Registered
711 Posts
What a shame! I understand the sentiment, but people like this really need to be honest with themselves. What's the best thing for the car? What's the best thing for preserving a piece of automotive history? As we all know, it's not sitting on a pile of them with the thought of "someday restoring" them. Selling 10 or 15 in order to finance the restoration of two or three would be reasonable, but it's not going to happen. They'll rot into oblivion.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
People can be delusional and dysfunctional. Hoarding can become an illness, seriously. We all have our issues, but it is a shame when neat stuff that is historical and no longer made, whatever it is, turns to dust do to being kept in poor custody. A good friend of mine had 13 GTO's when I met him in '96. None of them were running. All of them but one was outside. All of them were '64-'67 models, and all of them were CA rust free cars. When I went back to look at the cars in 2003, we opened the trunk of the radio-delete mayfair maize 4 speed '65, and looked down at our feet. In just a few years, the trunk pan was GONE. My friend saw this as a wake up call, and ended up selling 12 of the 13 goats. They all ended up getting restored and resold, and were once again top notch cars. (the restorer is a big time Pontiac guy out here). The one last GTO, his very first car that he got in '78, he and I finished restoring in 2010 or so. Took about 2 years. What I'm getting at is that sometimes these hoarders do wake up and get to business. But not very often. I think the 25 GTO's on the mountain top have one chance of survival: the owner dies and the cars get autctioned off in an estate settlement. It is the present owner's own sentiment and mis-guided 'good will' that is going to bury these cars the rest of the way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What a shame! I understand the sentiment, but people like this really need to be honest with themselves. What's the best thing for the car? What's the best thing for preserving a piece of automotive history? As we all know, it's not sitting on a pile of them with the thought of "someday restoring" them. Selling 10 or 15 in order to finance the restoration of two or three would be reasonable, but it's not going to happen. They'll rot into oblivion.
:cool I bet they're all already too far gone to be economically restorable.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Makes me think of the people you see on shows like American Pickers... The guy is living in a tent or a hole in the ground, has 10's of thousands of dollars worth of antiques, but his "stuff" will be worth more to him than any amount of money until the day he dies. Takes all types I suppose...

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Well put, leeklm. I was thinking the same thing. There was an episode with "Hobo Jack" about an old man who, for a lifetime, had collected Victorian era furniture, trim, and antiques. Planning on building a Victorian Mansion someday. He's like....89 years old and about 6', 90 pounds now. ALL his stuff is in barns with the roofs caving in, and all of his Victorian furniture, trim, etc. has been rotted away for decades. It's all firewood, now. Poorly stored. Knew a guy (recently passed away at 86) who was a gun hoarder. Bought Civil War guns at shows starting in the '40's. Stashed them all over (none of them were in safes). We were clearing stuff out to settle the estate, and there were many Civil war guns (Springfields, Burnsides, Ballards, Maynards, Sharps, Spencers, etc. that were damaged from being stored outside in a leaky 40 footer. One was a super rare, UNISSUED Greener Carbine that had never been fired....an 'as new' 1860's weapon...that had been rusted into relic condition. A true tragedy. Like these cars, merely OWNING them and HOARDING them is the name of the game. The more, the better. It's all about quantity, not quality. Different mindset. And, one thing I've discovered about hoarders (and they're all the same) is: They're stuff is priceless, and it's not for sale.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Different mindset. And, one thing I've discovered about hoarders (and they're all the same) is: They're stuff is priceless, and it's not for sale.
Yep i saw one just like it (except it was not half rusted into the ground) sell at Barret Jackson for $46,000....and i have 12 of them!!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
:cool He's gonna restore them "someday." What a jerk. He has neither the money nor the time. Pick two to keep and sell the rest!!!
those car hoarder kinda guys are all the same. they say their gonna, but they never do. they never finish anything and the cars go to pot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't think these people realize what they're doing. In their minds, they really think they are gonna restore whatever they have. The ones who finally wake up and decide to sell, want way too much $$. They still think they have a mint driver that just needs a tune up and a polish.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts