Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just joined your forces and bought my first GTO. Silver 05. I am a straight line guy and was wondering what your feelings are on the GTO's handling characteristics in turns. I wanna keep her right side up, but I want to have fun in some S turns, just looking for some feedback. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The GTO is a touring car afterall and goes through the turn very nicely. Just remember what it ways, it is not a Miata. Try autocrossing a couple of times and you will learn how much fun turning can be with a lot of hp and rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The handling is 2nd only to the Vette in GM's current lineup among >3000lb cars.

If you're a straight line guy, you won't care for the IRS, but in the turns, it's a godsend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How do I reply to this comment on the GTO given to me?

"non-handling and heavy weight ..... actually, i haven't driven it, but from what i've read and heard, it's fast on the straight, but heavy as hell in the corners. take that to a non-oval track."

?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Stock, it's a wallowy boat.

With suspension mods like mine (Koni struts / poly bushings / sway bars), good tires, and an aggressive alignment, it's pretty damned good considering it's a heavy, heavy car. Unfortunately having a lot of negative camber dialed in, which is necessary to kill that huge dead-band in the steering, plays hell on tires. If you don't drive it much, that's not a huge factor-- in my case, however, it has forced me to get less aggressive on the camber, so I'm back to numb steering.

It's still light years better than stock, but coming as I have from the BMW world, driving this car is a bit like f*cking while wearing a rubber.

The torquey engine and IRS make her a blast to throttle steer, and she has good controllability right up to the limits.

·
Registered
20 Posts
C5ORGTO said:
I went from a Corvette to a GTO, and the GTO doesn't handle nearly as well as the Vette. When turning a corner it seems like one wheel spins fairly easy. Mine is an 04, I've heard the 05's are a little better.
yea, i mean you really can't compare a GTO to a vette, the vette sits much lower and weighs alot less.

·
Registered
491 Posts
GZP 06 GTO said:
It's not the car, its the driver behind the wheel.

I've taken my stock gto threw some really winding roads at high speeds and the car felt great. Nevertheless, they do need to be improved.
:agree

Try outrunnin' or outmaneuvering the average cop in a Crown Vic...the Crown Vic will probably win most of the times, because of the driver behind the wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.