Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been into cars and on message boards for many years and I've been lurking around here for a while reading up on the GTO. I'm what most people call an "import guy" but I'm really just a car guy because I can appreciate any car that deserves it. I've had a couple fast cars a- Silvia conversion that did 306 at the wheels in a 2600lb car and my WRX with a full STi motor/tranny swap did 310HP /345TQ at the wheels recently. This is my 1st Subaru of 3, I have a Forester daily driver and had an older impreza that I turboed as a project. I've had friends in the F Body community and have a good buddy with a Typhoon.

Well, I'm ready to sell the WRX after 3 years because it's ben a hassle over the years and I'm ready for something new. I was originally looking at the new Legacy GT and test drove one overnight. It has the same motor as the STi with a smaller turbo and different tune. I was impressed by the luxury and it's suprisingly quick and smooth. I just seem to have a bit of a mental block with it because I feel too young to be driving it. So I got to thinking and reading about the GTO and it's quite impressive. The looks of the 04 didn't grab me but I like it after looking at it more. The 05 looks even better IMHO. The more reading I did, the more I decided to get a GTO instead of the Legacy for about the same money especially after seeing the interior. So I pretty much decided on an 05 because you can't go wrong with 400hp and I think the LS2 will be a good engine. The other modifications like the brakes and exterior stuff makes it even better, even if it will cost 10K more than the 04 with the rebates and markdowns.

So for a comparison, I went up to the dealer and test drove an 04 to get a feel for it. I have to say, it was very impressive. The interior felt like my dad's CTS but more sporty and I liked the driving position- you can see the road unlike the F Body where it feels like the dash is over your head. It didnt have that plasticy feel like all the other GMs I've been in either which is what I was worried about. The lack of a dead pedal sucked but 05 has that sorted out. The salesman was cool and basically let me do whatever I wanted. I drove the auto because that's all that was left even though I plan on the 6-speed. I was highly impressed by the accelleration of the LS1. It wasn't as fast as a stock STi, but I don't think it would be hard to get there and I bet the 05 6-speed will be faster than the STi. Anyway, I decided that that is my next car. I have to make a few things happen though, like sell the Subary and get a house, but I can't wait. I want to get a blue on blue 6mt. So when do those 05s come out?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can get a really good deal on an 04 right now. If you want the 05 hood the dealer can install one for you. The dealer i got it from asked me if i wanted one. The amount of money you might be able to save getting an 04 over an 05 you can put into modifications. For $7,000 you can get a 100hp upgrade from lingenfelter with a 24,000 mi warranty on the engine. $24k + $7k = $31k. The new 05 is going to sticker at $32k. It will probally take a little while until you can get an 05 with rebates and stuff.

-Frank

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well, if you get a GTO, you become a member of very exclusive club, where there's not one on every street corner, like the vette's and scoobies.

I'm in Houston, urban & metro, I've had my goat since Sept 30th and I've seen 1 on the road other than mine.

The more I read about the '05's and the subtle differences, the happier I am I did not wait, or am not waiting for an '05

Don't need a hood scoop or left & right duals. Simple head and cam package give me back a hp advantage. My goat is daily driver so it needs to be streetable.

Now, go getcha one :D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Your impressions were very similar to mine when I first drove a GTO. The car is fast, solid, and has a fit-and-finish standard that cannot be matched in its price range.

Like Westell said-- now go git one. They can be had exceedingly cheap now.

Just remind yourself that it's not really a Pontiac and you'll be OK. :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
He's an inport guy......

It is an import ya know :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts