Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along with the EVO or an '04 Cobra ... I know the EVO is the odd ball choice here but it gives an incredible bang for your buck -- you basically don't have to do squat to the suspension and the turbo set up is easily modded for tons more power ...
But, there is something about RWD muscle cars that just makes them more fun to drive even if they don't handle as precisely as AWD ... nothing like shaking that rear end loose on take off as long as you can control it, of course!!
I guess I'm looking for some pros and cons on the GTO --- thanks in advance ...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
GTOTerp said:
Along with the EVO or an '04 Cobra ... I know the EVO is the odd ball choice here but it gives an incredible bang for your buck -- you basically don't have to do squat to the suspension and the turbo set up is easily modded for tons more power ...
But, there is something about RWD muscle cars that just makes them more fun to drive even if they don't handle as precisely as AWD ... nothing like shaking that rear end loose on take off as long as you can control it, of course!!
I guess I'm looking for some pros and cons on the GTO --- thanks in advance ...
Evo's and WRX's are very fun cars.

I would nix the Cobra, but they are decent.

Pros
Cheap insurance
Excellent quality interior
LS2 engine(one of the best)
Limited Production(how many Mustangs and Evos do you see compared to GTO's)
Going away this year. (will be an instant collectors item(IMO))
Mechanically they are very reliable. Only two major TSB's(recalls sorta) and they are easy fixes

Cons
Exterior appearance(to some, not me personally)
Dumbasses in Mustangs trying to race you :D ............ ALL THE TIME
Sound system is subpar

If you haven't already, take a test drive in all three of them and then we will see ya tomorrow with a "I got a GTO" post.

The quality of the vehicle is not touchable by the other two cars. You are getting a 400hp car with a luxury interior and ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealernut, want to get my wife into a Solstice GXP

But I'll ask the obvious questions about the trunk space and the top ... she drives an '02 eclipse GT convertible and the top is, being power, very easy for her to work with ... can she maneuver the top on the solstice while at a light if need be? I've heard it is not as user friendly as the miata's top, and bear in mind that she doesn't have much patience if its not easy to do ... and can you pack enough luggage for a 2 person weekender with the top down?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
GTOTerp said:
But I'll ask the obvious questions about the trunk space and the top ... she drives an '02 eclipse GT convertible and the top is, being power, very easy for her to work with ... can she maneuver the top on the solstice while at a light if need be? I've heard it is not as user friendly as the miata's top, and bear in mind that she doesn't have much patience if its not easy to do ... and can you pack enough luggage for a 2 person weekender with the top down?
Soft luggage easily fits in the back, even with the top down. I know several people who have put 5 days worth of clothes including a folded dressed clothes. easily into it.

The top is a unique system from a standard convertible. The miata lets their top just lie behind the seats. The Solstice hides their top completley in the back.

But its one of the most beautiful cars on the road.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
EVOs are cars for kids. They're just a pimped up version of a really crappy Mitsubishi sedan. There's just no getting around that fact. Yes, it accelerates well -- but those things blow up as much as they work. Blah.

Cobras are respectable cars. Fast as heck. But their interiors are really old (designed in the early '90s for a 1994 launch). The seats stink. The doors are sealed with a big, stupid piece of molded rubber that goes bad in few years. Used to own a 1994 Mustang GT. Really liked that car -- but sure isn't any GTO.

The GTO is simply a well designed, well built car that gives you an incredible amount of refinement for the money. These cars sell worldwide for $60 to $75K USD -- and we get them for half that amount. Yeah, stuff like automatic climate control, Bluetooth cell phone connection and a few extra airbags are deleted -- but, geez Louise, you want to pay double the price for that stuff? It's more of a BMW than a Mustang. Unfortunately, GM's marketing drones haven't figured that out yet.

Bottom line -- it depends on your taste and what you want to do. Want to hang out with a bunch of pimply faced kids at the Bun n' Run on a Friday night? Get the EVO. Want kind of a junky car that goes incredibly fast in a straight line? Get the Cobra and be the king of the traffic light drags. Want a well built car that's built to last, handles well in turns and has a good amount of power on demand? Get the GTO. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
BA, you are being a little rough on the SVT

b_a_betterperson said:
EVOs are cars for kids. They're just a pimped up version of a really crappy Mitsubishi sedan. There's just no getting around that fact. Yes, it accelerates well -- but those things blow up as much as they work. Blah.

Cobras are respectable cars. Fast as heck. But their interiors are really old (designed in the early '90s for a 1994 launch). The seats stink. The doors are sealed with a big, stupid piece of molded rubber that goes bad in few years. Used to own a 1994 Mustang GT. Really liked that car -- but sure isn't any GTO.

The GTO is simply a well designed, well built car that gives you an incredible amount of refinement for the money. These cars sell worldwide for $60 to $75K USD -- and we get them for half that amount. Yeah, stuff like automatic climate control, Bluetooth cell phone connection and a few extra airbags are deleted -- but, geez Louise, you want to pay double the price for that stuff? It's more of a BMW than a Mustang. Unfortunately, GM's marketing drones haven't figured that out yet.

Bottom line -- it depends on your taste and what you want to do. Want to hang out with a bunch of pimply faced kids at the Bun n' Run on a Friday night? Get the EVO. Want kind of a junky car that goes incredibly fast in a straight line? Get the Cobra and be the king of the traffic light drags. Want a well built car that's built to last, handles well in turns and has a good amount of power on demand? Get the GTO. You will not be disappointed.

But I agree with your other points ... but while the shell of the EVO is very teeny bopper it is a world class handler and most of the EVO fans swear by the bullet proof nature of that little 2.0 ... the qualities of the GTO that you cited are the very reasons that I am attracted to the car --- I like the sleeper factor and the fact that it behaves kind of like a 5 series bimmer ... while the EVO's ability makes me drool, in the end, I would probably feel silly driving one around.
The SVT is not nearly as refined as the GTO, but the Cobra aftermarket is extremely healthy (i.e., parts are cheap) and it comes with a factory blower!! But, the dime a dozen quality of the stang does turn me off a bit.

·
Registered
584 Posts
MY only question is if you are willing to get an Evo, why not get a 06 STi
it kills the Evo 9 and the new MR.

But I'd really tell you to get a GTO over all of them
Just my two cents

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
707GTOLS2 said:
MY only question is if you are willing to get an Evo, why not get a 06 STi
it kills the Evo 9 and the new MR.

But I'd really tell you to get a GTO over all of them
Just my two cents

Kills the EVO? I just read a review of the '06 models (think it was in R&T), and the STI and EVO were dead even in the 1/4 mile, slalom, etc ... and I've driven both and the EVO to me, just feels more like a race car, and it also gets about 4 to 5 more mpg on the highway (6-speed version that is) ... I've yet to test a drive a goat, but if it comes close to what I expect it will be like, I'll soon be in the cult ...
Here's a review from down under --- thought it was appropriate ... :lol:
http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,17575444-21822,00.html
Another interesting link from those crazy aussies ...
http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,17792700-21822,00.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:

Hey whats up!? A fellow terp on the board! Actually I have considered all three cars and more the past few months. I guess for me its come down to this:

I just graduated and now have a respectable Job. To me ricer cars (yes I will put STi's & Evo's in that category) just don't hold the same image as american muscle. Honestly, I don't want to me lumped in with all those ridiculous civics and other rice out there. I know that its unfair to put those cars in that group, however if judged by looks alone, they do belong in the group of cars driven by "pimply teenagers" that love all the big crazy wings and huge intakes... blah. too bad because they are great cars but sorry now that I have a job and am out of school I really don't want my dates or business associates thinking of me as still a "kid"

The cobra: Nice car. I'm comming from a mustang family. Honestly, I wanted one. I wanted one really bad. Its been my dream car for as long as I can remeber. However, two things, #1) they are called rustangs for a reason. its unfortunate, but they will breakdown and give you issues, and the luxury aspect just is not there. Also, as far as bang for your buck goes, I the GTO's got it beat hands down and you have the added aspect of luxury to go along with it.

I also looked at the:

R32: NICE CAR! Wow I gotta say that this car IS FUN!! It definitely put a smile on my face, however again, its so compact & it still has that little zoom zoom ricer image, even though its a full on sports car that can own plent of the cars on the road, just not my cup of tea... too small, I like big cars

SRT4: uggg, sorry this car left a bad taste in my mouth. It was loud and obnoxious, also it was too small, no leather just cloth and ehhh, not a big fan. oh yeah, and its cramped inside

Infinity G35: Ok, I thought this car was gonna be money. I was all hyped about it and, honestly, thought that this was gonna be the car for me. I love the lines, the engine, everything... it serriously looks like sex on wheels. ... that is until you sit inside, the phrase that comes to mind is "fake leather jacket." the interior is absolutle crap. plain leather and ehhh, it almost seemed like the boring american car interiors of the early 90's. As far as actual driving goes, the shifter was anything but tight and just felt "cheap" in my opinion. Sorry I don't mean to be brutal on this car, but for such high expectations, this car fell whoafully short.

Charger R/t: Looks great again was very excited to test drive this car. First of all, its got luxury, ohhh wow, its defintely nice on the inside. Leather everything, nav system, the works... gotta love it. Its got some power too. However it is too "nice" with its power release. I slammed the gas and only got a little squeak out of the tires, It didn't feel like I was sitting behind a HEMI monster at all... it was a dissapointment. Sure I took it up to 125 on my test drive:D but honestly, it was too "tame" feeling. Almost what you would expect from a mercedes or something. Nice car, but just not what I'm looking for, I want something nice, but ready to rock and roll and throw me back in my seat when I want some getup and go

...all of this has led me to this marvel of engineering called the "GTO" First of all, I am only looking at the 04 GTO, its SOOOO inexpensive. for under 25k you CAN'T TOUCH the power. with 350 horses and 365lbs of torque on a 6 speed manual its amazing. I still am in awe from my test driveS =) First of all, from the outside, the car doesn'l look like a monster, it actually looks kinda blimpish, I was very skeptical when I sat in it. I knew the specs, but from a visual inspection of the exterior, it really looks kinda clunky.

...Then i turned the key... wow. My perspective instantly switched as soon as I heard the rumble. hehe, this car makes me smile, I got it up to 110 on my test drive in THIRD... I can't even imagine what the other 3 gears that I didn't touch can do. I could feel everything, the handling was AMAZING. Also, as far as the all leather interior, its so spacious, and its COMFORTABLE, I love it!! I know I'm ranting and raving but honestly I can't get enough of this car, and I can't wait till monday when I get to pick up my baby. Anyways, this car is the perfect blend of american muscle and luxury and gosh monday can't come soon enough... I'm hooked:cheers

My one complaint for the GTO is the lack of a dead pedal... any of you have a solution out there for me?:confused

·
Registered
7 Posts
My advice - if you can afford it, go with the Evo. You seem to value "fun to drive" more than other factors, and the Evo is easily the most fun to drive of the cars you're considering. Plus it's got more room - 4 doors come in handy some times and my GTO B piller area is so low that I keep hitting my head on it - something i never did in my 4-door japanese tin can before this.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
boss_hogg said:
My advice - if you can afford it, go with the Evo. You seem to value "fun to drive" more than other factors, and the Evo is easily the most fun to drive of the cars you're considering. Plus it's got more room - 4 doors come in handy some times and my GTO B piller area is so low that I keep hitting my head on it - something i never did in my 4-door japanese tin can before this.
It's funny you talk about hitting your head on the B-pillar. The main thing I did not like about the GTO was hitting my head almost every time I got out of it.

Other than that, I don't base my car buying decisions on what other people think about me from my car. The teeny bopper argument doesn't hold water with me, but if that matters to you, scratch the Evo. You will perpetually be 19-21 and you will always have the Drive-thru service industry getting drool all over your car. The EVO beats you up too, you wouldn't want to make a 1200 mile trip in it. It kinda reminds me of a crotchrocket for four people.

I looked at the same group of cars as you. I didn't get to drive a 6-speed Infiniti, no one had one available, but liked the auto. Every Cobra I drove had been modded in some way and basically thrashed. The new Mustang is cheap and shows it in the details. It's fun though. The STI is fun, and has a nicer interior than the EVO, but still gets the Drive-thru drool. The Subaru dealer here wouldn't let me test drive one or that may have been the ticket.

For refinement and everyday drivability coupled with tons of fun, raw horsepower and an exhaust note that lets the world know you are there.................... GTO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even if I don't buy a GTO, I've had fun reading these responses ... some of you guys are pretty funny, in a laughing with you not at you kind of way ...
WUUZZZZUUUPPPP Terp ... Glad the boys inked that one out last night --- they had me worried being down at the half vs. VT ... A don't forget to light some candles so we can keep Antonio Logan-El and Phillip Taylor from trotting off to Penn State ...
Back on topic, another thing that I need to consider is that a RWD muscle type vehicle is probably more suited to the types of roads that we have here in FL (long and flat) --- not too much canyon carving goes on around here ... there really isn't that much opportunity down here to unleash the power of AWD, except for perhaps added traction during our monsoon type rainy season ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm looking into either a Cobra or a GTO. I'm kinda stuck between the same things mentioned here already.

You can get the Cobra to be fast as hell for not a whole lot of money. Actually, on ebay I saw 'Buy it now' $24,900 for a Kenne Bell Cobra with 575 horsepower! That would be an amazing car :eek:

I had a Mustang, and I used to take my girlfriend around in it all the time. The greatest was around the city. I could beat just about anything out there and she loved the thrill so much! But then we took a road trip to the Keys, and it was just not comfortable for her.

The GTO is still a heck of a car. 400 horsepower is awesome :cool , albeight not as fast as you can get a Cobra. But I can still drive around town and line up at stoplights while taking a very comfortable long road trip. The GTO's are built so nice. My girlfriend said they were a 'more sophisticated' sports car...personally, it will be something that you will not contemplate selling two years down the road...oh, and did I mention this is the last year GM is building them?

The Evo...yeah, it's fast...but the interior build doesn't turn me on. It is a fast tin-can for young kids and Vin Diesel. The other two cars mentioned have more heritage than an Evo as well...well, I guess I could mention my grandpa was in a destroyer that was sunk by a Mitsubishi Zero, so at least the manufacturer has some history behind it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.