Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a quick laugh ? I'll try to be brief here.

Pulled in to store and guy in dark red C5 had just pulled in and as we were getting out, he points to the GTO and says "hi little brother"

I didn't understand, but said something like "well they're built in Australia, so I guess they're brothers".

Then, we're standing in line and he asked, "what motor?", I replied, "same as your's - LS1"

He then told me that Chevrolet is making the same car and it's the Cobalt and they have an LS1 in them, too!, and that the exhaust on them is restricted, so they only have 340 hp. I mentioned mine wasn't stock but would give him a close run. He rolled his eyes :D

Now, I understand, what he meant about "little brother", from the Cobalt commercial with the corvette doing the donut in front of the Cobalt.

Guess I could've saved a little money and got the LS1 Cobalt :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the laugh of the day. My father in law worked for GM where they now build Cobalts. The come from Lordstown, Ohio. You know, off the line that made Caviliers and Sunfires. They have plans for an SUV version that uses the same frame and motor. I had a look at one and was definately not impressed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
roadracer said:
Thanks for the laugh of the day. My father in law worked for GM where they now build Cobalts. The come from Lordstown, Ohio. You know, off the line that made Caviliers and Sunfires. They have plans for an SUV version that uses the same frame and motor. I had a look at one and was definately not impressed.
But you gotta admit, the LS1 Cobalt must be REALLY fast! :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
An LS1 w/Front wheel drive????? Grocho's right, how do you steer that thing??? My only front wheel drive care was a Pontiac 6000STE with a puny 3.1L engine, and THAT torque steered far too much for my likes.

---Larry

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just a point of "front wheel drive" info. The Grand Prix GTP does/will have a 5.3 version of the LS1. And it's front wheel drive......

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
GTO TOO said:
Just a point of "front wheel drive" info. The Grand Prix GTP does/will have a 5.3 version of the LS1. And it's front wheel drive......
Nasty.

Yet another example of why I prefer to call my car a "Holden" rather than a foul "Pontiac."

~300 hp FWD. What a joke.

·
Registered
85 Posts
where did you hear about a LS1 powered GTP? The only thing I've seen or heard of with an LS1 is the cadillac V series cars(CTS & STS), the GTO and the Vette. I have heard of a 5.3L vortec for the SSR and other trucks but not in a car and I never heard it called an LS1.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The car I drive now is a 2004 Chevy Cavalier, the last of the J-body before the Cobalt comes out. I know it's no performace vehicle, but I have the 5-speed maunal instead of the auto, so it's fun to drive. It's light and accelerates quickly enough when I need it to. It serves my purposes just fine, which is to & from work with great gas mileage. Although I still think it would be really, really interesting to drop an LS1 in there......

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IcedC said:
Uhh LS1 powered cobalt?? can we get a little proof?? all I can find is an optional 2.0L 205hp S/C I4... hardly an LS1
It's a joke :D

Like I wrote, need a quick laugh :cheers

My point was the guy was an idiot and didnt' want to listen to a word I said.

You're right, the supercharged 2.0L is the top of the line

I dunno, maybe there's another 3.7 L in the trunk :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tom said:
You sure he said Cobalt and not Catera?
Unfortunately, I'm sure we spoke of the Cobalt, e.g. "Little Brother" cheby commercial.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts