Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna know how much tire i can fit in the back of my 72 lemans without any modification i might wana trim the lip a little off the quarter panel wheel wells but thats it i wana see if i can fit a 10 inch tire in there but i miht just have too do an 8 anybody know what tire can fit without problems

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
depends on your rim backspacing, with the correct rim a 10" should fit in there. If you are ordering new rims take a straight edge and clamp it to your brake drum face pointing up in the well. Measure the distance from back of inner wheel housing to inner lip of wheel well and notice where your straight edge crosses this measurement. you want the rim to center on your measurement. so if you have lets say 20" and your edge crosses at 15" you need a 2.5" offset to get the rim on center. next take two inches off the total measurement for clearances and thats the widest tire (total width measured at the middle of the sidewall for balloning) you could run without shredding it. A ten inch tire will require at least a 9 " rim i believe.:cheers

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Inst8gr,

My brain hurts. I am coming up with a backspace of 5 inches to center the rim in your example. What I am doing wrong? Maybe I am just not getting the proper mental picture.

Thanks,
Russ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts