Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Gto Has Been Slandered, Again. If You Really Want To Get Your Panties In A Wad, Checkout The Latest Issue Of Musclecar Enthusiast. In The Issue, There Is A Special Section Of Letters Written And Sent In, Praising The Challenger Concept Car And Begging Dodge To Hurry And Build the Challenger. That's Ok., But Cheap Shot After Cheap Shot Is Taken At The Goat. Just Read It And You'll See What I'm Talking About. We All Love Our Goats And It Just Ticks You Off After A While, Like Someone Making Condensending Remarks About Your Family. Goat Owners Are Just Going To Have To Change Their View. That View Will Most Likely Be Our Rear Window. Keep The Faith, We Know What We Have In Our Goats And Time Will Prove Us Right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be sure not to read one of the contributing articles in July's Hemming's Muscle Car Machines - guy is quite negative as well. Says he's middle age and can't seem to get into and out of the car. Wonder how big he is???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sandiegoz28 said:
Be sure not to read one of the contributing articles in July's Hemming's Muscle Car Machines - guy is quite negative as well. Says he's middle age and can't seem to get into and out of the car. Wonder how big he is???
WELL, I AM 6'3 AND WEIGH 230 LBS AND I HAVE NO TROUBLE GETTING IN AND OUT. I WILL ADMIT TO HITTING MY HEAD ON THE ROOF THE FIRST TIME I GOT IN, BUT THAT WAS BECAUSE THE SEAT WAS SET TOO FAR FORWARD FOR MY HEIGHT. NO DOUBT, THE CAR IS NOT AS EASY TO GET INTO AS SOME CARS, BUT IF YOU ARE PREJUIDICED AGAINST A CAR, YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING WRONG.

·
Registered
491 Posts
oldgoat said:
The Gto Has Been Slandered, Again. If You Really Want To Get Your Panties In A Wad, Checkout The Latest Issue Of Musclecar Enthusiast. In The Issue, There Is A Special Section Of Letters Written And Sent In, Praising The Challenger Concept Car And Begging Dodge To Hurry And Build the Challenger. That's Ok., But Cheap Shot After Cheap Shot Is Taken At The Goat. Just Read It And You'll See What I'm Talking About. We All Love Our Goats And It Just Ticks You Off After A While, Like Someone Making Condensending Remarks About Your Family. Goat Owners Are Just Going To Have To Change Their View. That View Will Most Likely Be Our Rear View Window. Keep The Faith, We Know What We Have In Our Goats And Time Will Prove Us Right.
I'd feel bad if I owned a Mustang; too many of them and the weak OHC 4.6 liter smallblock w/ the bigblock footprint is a joke, imo.

I'll never feel bad owning a GTO, no matter who says what. It's a nearly perfect package; probably the best of what's out there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ModBoss2 said:
I'd feel bad if I owned a Mustang; too many of them and the weak OHC 4.6 liter smallblock w/ the bigblock footprint is a joke, imo.

I'll never feel bad owning a GTO, no matter who says what. It's a nearly perfect package; probably the best of what's out there.
I AGREE 100%:agree THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS I READ IN MAGAZINE LETTERS ETC..., DOES NOT MATCH UP WITH THE COMMENTS I GET FROM THE STREET, CRUISE-INS, ETC...NOT ONLY THAT, I LOVE MY GOAT AND REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT THE GOAT HATERS THINK ANYWAY. WHAT I CARE ABOUT IS THAT THEY CAN'T KEEP UP WITH ME.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Guys,,
1. The GTO is an import,,this pisses off some people no end..
2. Magazines run on advertising,,Pontiac did little or no advertising,,Dodge and Ford do tons and tons of advertising for both the Mustang and the SRTs.. Money talks..
3. Most Americans just repeat what they hear without ever researching things for themselves,,we all know that anyone who has ridden in a GTO even diehard Ford lovers have good things to say about it..
4.LASTLY and most importantly if they all would have loved it there is no chance in hell I couldve picked my baby up for $20k so personally I thank all the closed headed,dino loving,new school hating,small minded idiots for letting me pick up the deal of the century..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HTRDLNCN said:
Guys,,
1. The GTO is an import,,this pisses off some people no end..
2. Magazines run on advertising,,Pontiac did little or no advertising,,Dodge and Ford do tons and tons of advertising for both the Mustang and the SRTs.. Money talks..
3. Most Americans just repeat what they hear without ever researching things for themselves,,we all know that anyone who has ridden in a GTO even diehard Ford lovers have good things to say about it..
4.LASTLY and most importantly if they all would have loved it there is no chance in hell I couldve picked my baby up for $20k so personally I thank all the closed headed,dino loving,new school hating,small minded idiots for letting me pick up the deal of the century..
:agree :agree :agree :agree :agree :agree :agree :agree :agree agree

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like A Bad Dream

This Whole "hate The New Gto" Thing Is So Bizzare As To Not Be Believed!! Let Me First Say I Am A 'senior" Member Of The Gto Family. I Had A New 64 Gto When I Was 18 And I Was Literally King Of My High School Parking Lot. Classmates Signed My Yearbook "to Mr. Gto". So That's Where I Come From.

The New Gto Is Every Bit A Gto As That '64 And Then Some!! This Is All Horse--- Being Tossed Around. I Just Don't Get It! I Have Read Posts About New Gto Owners Being Looked Down Upon At Gto Meets! How Absurd!!!

Built In Australia..so What!! The Heart Of The Beast Is Pure American!!!

Not Retro Enough? Give Me The Two Scoops On The Hood And Split Dual Exhaust And I Am A Happy Camper.

The Performance........i Challenge Any "old Goat" To Any Measure Of Performance, Accelleration, Braking, Handling..you Name It!!

Guys...just Ignore Them. They Are Ignorant And Obviously Have Never Driven One Of Our Babies!! Keep Up The Wave!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first car was a 1965 GTO. I had to listen then to all the BS.
Looks like a box/rattletrap etc. This mostly from the Mustang/Olds 442 crowd.
Then of course the body style changed and it was " The new style sucks. This is ugly." Talking about the 70 Judge there. Today these cars are like monuments.
How quickly folks forget they were eqaully criticized back in the day.
So just smile and enjoy your ride and in 20 years as you lay the 1,000,000 coat of wax on your 04/5/6 GTO...folks will think your a genius for your purchase back in the olden days and offer you $2.2MM dollars for your car. :):cheers
Or tell em to go **** theirselves. Whichever is appropriate.:cool

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great perspective there, SgtGeek!

As to those not liking the GTO, I honestly wonder how things would have gone had the Camaro and Firebird not been discontinued, but the GTO been produced for 04-06 anyway (yeah I know that would have never happened that way). I have a feeling that, had the Fbodies not been dropped, there would not have been near as much heat against the new GTO. Sure some people want retro, but I think so much of it was those who would have liked another Fbody, and got their hopes up when GM said that they were bringing back the GTO. I think a lot of inflated/incorrect notions came from that.

As to it being an Aussie vehicle, who cares. The Aussies seem to have had a love for muscle across time too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
:cheers I am a bonified USDA approved old fart. I am smacking 60 and a lot of middle has fallen from my chest. The car is the greatest things since motherhood and apple pie. I have done my part to contribute to motherhood. Now, advertising pays the freight. Be thankful that they badmouth it. When GM starts advertising again, it will be praised as a true classic to be loved and coveted and your value of your limited edition true muscle car will skyrocket! These articles are as good as money in the bank. Patient my padewan, the force is with you.:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
funny thing. I don't recall which mag it was, but they compared the GTO to the Mustang. even though the GTO beat it in EVERY performance category, the mustang came in first place by 1 point based on getting 7 points for the "gotta have it" factor. I call it the "can't afford it" factor. The same mag compared a Solstice to the Mazda MX-5. although the Solstice is obviously better looking, the Mazda won based on performance. what a double standard and obvious hate against Pontiac! Don't believe everything you read. I have never gotten less than praise for my car. Even from Mustang owners who constantly use my car as a measuring stick and soon realize that we're in a different class. Even the new GT-500 doesn't have a higher top speed, .2 faster 0-60, and only .4 faster in the 1/4. The Mustangs engine is completely blown out. Change the tires on the GTO and you beat it for $30k less. The mark up bid on ebay is already past $15k over sticker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That Magazine, I Believe Was Motor Trend. Gotta Have It Factor Is Assinine!!

Compare The Cars Head To Head And The Gto Won Every Category.

My Friend, It Is All About Ad Dollars. Look Through The Same Issue And Count The Ford Versus Pontiac Ads And You Will Find Your Answer.

Same Bias We Find In Politics Exists In The Auto Industry.

Very Sad

·
Registered
100 Posts
IMHO - Those that slam the GOAT are generally those that would like to own one but can't or won't.

Just picked up my '06 last night and - WOW

Well - Here is my take - - - - on the GOAT
Is it the best handling car on the road - NO
Is it easy to get in or out off - NOT ALWAYS
Is it a styling revolution - NO
Could it have more gadgets - YES
Are there many options - NO
Do many others know about the GTO - NOPE

IS IT FAST - YOU BET YOUR SWEET A$$ IT'S FAST - and for $31K - show me another car that can compare

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sandiegoz28 said:
I READ IT, YOU'RE RIGHT, THE GUY'S MISSION IS TO TRASH THE GTO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.