Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 04 was purchased with a gauge cluster that had been swapped with a new one. The title was sent in with the statements to change it but it was never done. now trying to see they car they cut the value in half because of it. the dmv is hard time working it out to, the paper work shouldnt have go though with it but it did. I still have the original cluster, thinking about swapping it in and taking a pic of the odometer.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
my 04 was purchased with a gauge cluster that had been swapped with a new one. The title was sent in with the statements to change it but it was never done. now trying to see they car they cut the value in half because of it. the dmv is hard time working it out to, the paper work shouldnt have go though with it but it did. I still have the original cluster, thinking about swapping it in and taking a pic of the odometer.
Do I understand your new odometer states more miles than what is actually on it?

Personally if it were me? I'd not put the other cluster in and take a pic then remove it. This may lead to someone thinking you are being less than honest despite you being so. I'd continue working with the DMV, keep all records of correspondence for proof you tried to correct this. Keep all miles recorded along with all documentation. If you cannot get this rectified before you ever sell this I'd then generate a form with actual miles have it notarized and attach it to all correspondence from the outfit that failed to properly adjust the cluster all correspondence from you and the DMV and pictures of the miles at began this dilemma to present.

If someone calls into question your swapping out the cluster and reports you to the State Police you may subject yourself to more trouble than its worth. Sometimes being honest can get you more trouble than you bargained for.

If you were gonna purchase this car and learned the cluster was swapped out and you have the other, would you wonder how many times it was swapped out to show lower miles than are actually on it? I would.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Do you have paperwork stating the mileage when the change was made? If so, why couldn't you 'do the math' and then have the present cluster adjusted? (Is that even possible?)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have paperwork stating the mileage when the change was made? If so, why couldn't you 'do the math' and then have the present cluster adjusted? (Is that even possible?)
thats what we did at the dmv using the mileage from the car fax. I was thinking about doing the same thing with the clusters already. and trying to contact the dealer I got it from to see if they still have any of the paper work.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You should never replace your cluster if at all possible you should send it to get repaired. I sent a cluster to this place Nationwide Speedometer and Instrument Cluster Repair in Richmond Va. They are super super fast. After they get your cluster in it is back out the next day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts