Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
G

·
I used to change my synthetic in my LS1 at 12,000 miles and ran Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec. I never used Pennzoil. I also ran my LS1 to 6800 ever weekend at the track.

G

·
Thats quite ok, there are plenty of us on here who are and are more than happy to help you.

I would recommend if you dont drive that much and the car spends some time sitting, by all means change it every 3 months or 3000 miles. BUT, if you drive it daily and put a lot of highway miles on it, you can very easily run up to 10,000 miles and have no problems.

Some users complain about their cars burning oil so keep an eye on that too!

any other questions, dont ever be afraid to ask.

·
Registered
142 Posts
big_mike said:
Thats quite ok, there are plenty of us on here who are and are more than happy to help you.

I would recommend if you dont drive that much and the car spends some time sitting, by all means change it every 3 months or 3000 miles. BUT, if you drive it daily and put a lot of highway miles on it, you can very easily run up to 10,000 miles and have no problems.

Some users complain about their cars burning oil so keep an eye on that too!

any other questions, dont ever be afraid to ask.
I bought my GTO in July 2004 and currently only has 3800 miles on it. I changed the oil last fall with 1700 miles and recently with 3600 miles, I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I think changing the oil & filter only once a year is ok, do you agree?

One more point, I do not drive it in foul weather, so it's not exposed the bitter cold temperatures, stays in the garage when the snow flies.

G

·
the problem with doing it only once a year is condensation forms inside your oil pan and water and engines dont mix. Since yours sits most of the time I HIGHLY recommend changing it every 3-6 months to ensure no condensation forms and gets circulated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
big_mike said:
the problem with doing it only once a year is condensation forms inside your oil pan and water and engines dont mix. Since yours sits most of the time I HIGHLY recommend changing it every 3-6 months to ensure no condensation forms and gets circulated.
I understand what you’re saying, but when I change the oil, there is absolutely no water in the drain pan. If there was, it would be sitting on top of the oil, wouldn't you agree?

G

·
oil is lighter than water, no, it would be on the bottom and you wouldnt see it come out but over time, it would wreak havoc on the motor.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I plan on using Mobil 1. Changed mine at 1500 first time and will do future changes at least every 2500-3000. I think oil is cheap compared to engine wear. The oil becomes contaminated due to combustion blowby into the crankcase, that is why the oil gets black over time, I like to keep fresh oil in my car. Can't hurt and can only help preserve your investment. Costco sells Mobil 1 for $24 case of six quarts.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Changing the oil every 3,000 miles is a default mode. You tend to err on the side of caution when you are in default mode. Time and type of usage is much more important than mileage. I have a friend that changes his oil twice a year, spring and fall. His car is a 73 Pontiac Grand Prix with 36,000 miles and it gets maybe 300 per year. The spring oil change will have 50 miles sometimes.
Mike is exactly right with his comments on oil being fine up to 15,000 miles, or more depenfding on the type of driving. But one doing 40-100 miles a week that are all short trips needs a lot more frequent changes. The water from condensation that mixes with the oil forms sulphuric acid. That then makes its way to the bearings and you kill the engine quickly. The only way to get rid of the moisture is to raise the oil temperature over 212 degrees. That takes more time than it takes to raise your water temperature. Usually a half hour to 45 minutes depending on outside air temps.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.