Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm really interested in purchasing in a 6.0 GTO. It would be a 6spd car. Can't decide on color though it would be either blue/blue, red/red, or black/red.

I currently own a 03 GT Mustang as described in the sig. I'm tired of it, it has 44k on it, has problems all the time, and I can't get the 1/4mile times I want out of it. I can't even get a 13 out of it with me in it, and I'm a big guy.

I was wondering what are some of the pros and cons of the 05 6.0 6spd. I know they have the T-56, which is the same one used in the 03-04 Cobras which is a damn good tranny. But how is the motor. And what kind of times do you think I could get out of one? I'm just beginning with the whole manual thing, although I can drive one, just never raced one.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
fat nick said:
Hi all, I'm really interested in purchasing in a 6.0 GTO. It would be a 6spd car. Can't decide on color though it would be either blue/blue, red/red, or black/red.

I currently own a 03 GT Mustang as described in the sig. I'm tired of it, it has 44k on it, has problems all the time, and I can't get the 1/4mile times I want out of it. I can't even get a 13 out of it with me in it, and I'm a big guy.

I was wondering what are some of the pros and cons of the 05 6.0 6spd. I know they have the T-56, which is the same one used in the 03-04 Cobras which is a damn good tranny. But how is the motor. And what kind of times do you think I could get out of one? I'm just beginning with the whole manual thing, although I can drive one, just never raced one.
In Florida heat I'm able to get low 13's. My best with a temperature in the upper 80's and with high humidity was 13.2. I have a run on a low 60 degree day that was 12.895 at 109. I've seen the GTO all over the place. It is not the easiest car to launch. If you can figure that out Low 13's high 12's.

The T56 is great but the shifter is rubbery. I just changed mine to a B&M and put royal Purple Synthetic in the tranny. The difference is incredible.

There is not a lot of mods out there for this car right now, but it should be easy to find a heads and cam package, plus there are a lot exhaust/ headers packages. The compression at 10.9 is high so if you go with a supercharger, or a turbo, you will probably need to run a low boost. They make big numbers with a little bit of boost though.

I drove manuals a bit, but never raced one at a track. It is definately more challenging. I'm enjoying it. The auto for this car is great too, and if you are interested in drag racing, the auto is equal to or slightly faster than the manual. Fords 4 spd auto in the Mustang GT sucks the power out of the engine, that won't happen with this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fergyflyer said:
In Florida heat I'm able to get low 13's. My best with a temperature in the upper 80's and with high humidity was 13.2. I have a run on a low 60 degree day that was 12.895 at 109. I've seen the GTO all over the place. It is not the easiest car to launch. If you can figure that out Low 13's high 12's.

The T56 is great but the shifter is rubbery. I just changed mine to a B&M and put royal Purple Synthetic in the tranny. The difference is incredible.

There is not a lot of mods out there for this car right now, but it should be easy to find a heads and cam package, plus there are a lot exhaust/ headers packages. The compression at 10.9 is high so if you go with a supercharger, or a turbo, you will probably need to run a low boost. They make big numbers with a little bit of boost though.

I drove manuals a bit, but never raced one at a track. It is definately more challenging. I'm enjoying it. The auto for this car is great too, and if you are interested in drag racing, the auto is equal to or slightly faster than the manual. Fords 4 spd auto in the Mustang GT sucks the power out of the engine, that won't happen with this.
How strong is the auto? I'm interested in a fun to drive car with occasional track duty.

I want a 6spd because the auto bores me to death.

I'd be happy if I ran mid 13's with it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought an auto because the dealer "claimed" they could not locate a yellow 6 speed, and this was the only yellow one i could find in a 2 hour radius of home. Kinda glad i got the auto because during hard acceleration with the trac on, the tires break loose enough nevermind shifting at higher rpm's with a 6 speed. So i am overall satified with setteling for the auto, especially because i know i can take just about anything on the road, 6 speed or not. :D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
fat nick said:
How strong is the auto? I'm interested in a fun to drive car with occasional track duty.

I want a 6spd because the auto bores me to death.

I'd be happy if I ran mid 13's with it.
Either auto or 6spd should run low 13's to high 12's with a good driver and a temperature that is below 70. If it's in the mid to upper 80's you are going to struggle to get mid 13's. These things hate heat.

If the auto bores you get a 6 spd. With a shifter, CAI, and a set of DR's 12's will be very easy. If you decide to spend as much as you have on the stang modding the GTO you should be looking for 11's.

Main thing is, this car is so much more refined than the Mustang. It rides better, handles better, and has an almost perfect fit and finish.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fergyflyer said:
Either auto or 6spd should run low 13's to high 12's with a good driver and a temperature that is below 70. If it's in the mid to upper 80's you are going to struggle to get mid 13's. These things hate heat.

If the auto bores you get a 6 spd. With a shifter, CAI, and a set of DR's 12's will be very easy. If you decide to spend as much as you have on the stang modding the GTO you should be looking for 11's.

Main thing is, this car is so much more refined than the Mustang. It rides better, handles better, and has an almost perfect fit and finish.
I drove a used 6spd black/red 05 today with 12k miles. I loved it, the features, the quietness of it, and it drove like a Caddy.

Not to mention the power it has. They wanted $29995 for it, when I can get a new one for cheaper.

·
Registered
937 Posts
fat nick said:
I drove a used 6spd black/red 05 today with 12k miles. I loved it, the features, the quietness of it, and it drove like a Caddy.

Not to mention the power it has. They wanted $29995 for it, when I can get a new one for cheaper.
You need to beat them up on that price a bit. That is only a couple thousand off the sticker for that car. They were $31,995 for the 6 speed. 12K miles on a pontiac will depreaciate more than that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JMVorbeck said:
You need to beat them up on that price a bit. That is only a couple thousand off the sticker for that car. They were $31,995 for the 6 speed. 12K miles on a pontiac will depreaciate more than that.
Going to hammer them tomorrow. Get them down to about 27995 and give me 15500 for the GT.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fat nick said:
Going to hammer them tomorrow. Get them down to about 27995 and give me 15500 for the GT.
Did it like I wanted. $0 down, 15000 for my GT and the GTO for 27500. Picking her up tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a quick question about handling dealers. Im turning 20 next year and thats when ill be trying to buy a used '05. If i just went to a dealer and said i want a used black '05 GTO would they find one for you or is it just what they have on the lot?? Ive never bought a car through a dealership so i have no idea how that would work.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
PitoPocket said:
I had a quick question about handling dealers. Im turning 20 next year and thats when ill be trying to buy a used '05. If i just went to a dealer and said i want a used black '05 GTO would they find one for you or is it just what they have on the lot?? Ive never bought a car through a dealership so i have no idea how that would work.
I don't know if a dealer is going to put in a lot of time looking for a USED GTO, unless they have an inside source at other dealerships. Finding a GTO in a network would be time consuming, and probably not worth their time.

I'd go to as many used lots as possible, especially Pontiac dealers and put your name in to as many different salesmen as possible and hope for the best. Maybe you'll get lucky on a GTO owner trading in one. Even then getting them to call you is a crap shoot. The ole, I lost your number routine is a common excuse. E-bay is a good place to look, but I would want to see what I am bidding on, and viewing a car 3000 miles away is not easy.

Lots-a-luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use autotrader to purchase one. I got lucky in finding mine. But, purchasing from autotrader, if you get it from a person, will more than likely be cheaper than a dealership.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks a lot guys, i wasnt a big fan of the GTO when it first came but after reading about it some more, it grew on me a lot. Im completely obsessed by it now. I went out to dinner the other night and when i was leaving a guy with a black 05 parked next to me and I checked out his car and it really is gorgeous. It is also a lot smaller then i thought it would be which is nice. Pictures of the interior dont do it any justice, i think i like that interior better then the interior in my dads 2005 525i.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.