Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :seeya:

Well the title says it....or maybe Vette as well.
I am looking for a new car, I am finally fed up with the crappy quality of my '97 Z28 and looking for something as a nice daily driver for the next 2-3 years. I do want a rear drive sports coupe/sports car, and so I am looking at GTO vs. G35 vs. C5 Vette. I was all but decided on the Infiniti (roomate has one and its sweet) and then I realized that I can get a C5 for the same price....and then I realized that I forgot there was a new GTO :lol:

Anyway, I was very leary of the Vette cause it's still a Chevy and figured quality was questionable. Then people were telling me they were actually solid and NOT rattle boxes like the Camaro, then I drove one and pretty much agreed. But I've only driven one and once. I see a lot of talk here about the fit n finish and build quality of the GTO and am very interested.

So...... what's your take on the 3 cars? Obviously the answers are different for each forum ;) but I like getting opinions.

So far, I think the Vette would be sick as far as being a blast to drive and the performance, but I am not sure its the best choice for a daily driver in all weather and around ****ty city streets for 95% of my actual driving. Whatcha think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you get snow rule out the vette right away. the gto has a near perfect weight ratio 55 up front 45 in the rear, and thanks to this and the bosch traction control system it can be driven BUT it does need to be driven carefully in snow, i had mine out in about 6 inches just for fun and it wasnt bad at all compared to my t/a i had before this. the infiniti depends on if you want to pull up next to a goat and get an @$$ stomping and have the infiniti sound like a weedwhacker everytime while doing it then hey thats fine, i stomp my neighbors everytime i get a chance. if you want performance plain and simple gto for you, if you want a real interior that doesnt look cheap go gto, if you want your car to sound like the world is going to end once you put an exhaust on it go gto, if you want a great ride quality go gto. there is not one bad thing about this car besides that it is imported from australia but hey they are no threat to our economy, just dont buy the japs or chinese cars at least if you want to keep jobs in the country

·
Registered
76 Posts
Infinity is probably the most luxurious, the Vette will NOT hold up as a daily driver. I am in a Corvette Club, and the reason the C'5s look so good is becuase they're babied and not driven regularly. They are very nice and very fast, but If you want maximum performance and practicality, the GTO is by far the best option.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know much about the G35 but most people I know that looked at it just paid less and bough the Nissan version 350Z which both the G35 and the 350Z were slower with the same motor as the Nissan Ultima 3.5. I have a 2005 6 speed GTO and all I can say is OH MY GOD this thing is quick... and fast. If you have been around performance cars for a while you know the differrence between the two (quick, fast) and know what I am talking about. I can say that the build quality has been execellent so far. I have about 2000 miles on mine and it is squeek-free so far. I may be a little biased towards the GTO but I came from a 1996 Impala SS which I loved and modifed and raced, but initial quality was so-so. It always felt "Plastic-like" throughout. The GTO looks and feels a lot different inside. JMHO...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
G35s are very, very nice cars, but for the highest bang-for-the-buck measured on the grins per dollar index it's hard to find anything even approaching the GTO. Don't let the slapped-on Pontiac logos scare you off-- this is a well built machine as well (primarily because noone from Pontiac touched this car).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I went from a 99 Z28 to the GTO and haven't looked back. The GTO is so much more refined than the Camaro. Its Vette performance in a BMW-class vehicle. My friend has a G35 - nice car. It doesn't have the torque or as usable a rear seat or trunk as the GTO. The GTO is an awesome vehicle and is my choice!

·
Registered
97 Posts
We have both but.......

Hi Tim,
Well I have got a lot of experience with this as my girlfriend and I purchased new cars at the same time last year. She got a G35 Coupe and I got an 04 GTO.
She got the G35 in auto and I got the Goat in Stick (the only way to drive a sports car). Naomi's car looks great, has a very nice sound system and has a hard ride. The exhaust note sounds exactly the same as a 350Z and is not bad. This is more of a luxury sports car. Also I am 6'4" and find it difficult to get comfortable in the G35 where the GTO has buckets of room.
The Goat is my car and one that I wanted as soon as I drove it. There is no real comparison with performance as the goat destroys the G35 with pure accelleration.
If you want a luxury sports car that looks great, get a dark silver or black G35 with the upgraded sports package. Neither car is good in the snow. If you want a snow car buy an explorer. If it pure adrenaline and sports performance with looks (that can be upgraded with the $550 SAP - sports appearance package) then go with a stick shift GTO.
Best selling color for the GTO was black but I got mine in Impulse blue.

Good luck with your decision, I know I made the right one for me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have experience with all three cars--the Corvette, GTO and G35.

I'll start with the G35. My best friend has one, although it's the sedan. Same motor, though, with nearly identical performance to the coupe. The G35 is his daily driver, and he loves it. I've driven it, and I can tell you it's a tight, well-screwed-together car. Enjoyable to drive, controlled ride motions, luxurious, mature and accommodating. The coupe is even more attractive. I saw one on the way to work today, and thought once again how taut, chunky and purposeful it looked. I think it's more attractive than the 350Z.

A Corvette is . . . a Corvette. It's a purpose-built car, so you have to decide if that fits your life. A Corvette requires you to accommodate it. I traded my '01 C5 for the GTO. I have two boys, three and seven, so you can see what impacted my decision. The Vette will reward you every time you drive it, and you'll fall in love with it, but you'll never be the guy who takes everyone to lunch. It's a self-centered experience, which is fine if that's your thing.

The GTO rewards me in every way that matters. Let's face it--on my daily commute, I could never exploit the Vette's full capabilities. How many high-G turns can you take on suburban streets? If you find yourself mostly in stop-and-go traffic, the only real chance you have for fun is launching from a stoplight or taking a long sweeper at speed. The GTO does that at least as well as the Vette. It's absurdly fast running up through the gears and it'll put a grin on your mug. Also, I think the '05 "face" with hood scoops looks menacing (in a kind of friendly way), and that "6.0" badge gets stares while waiting for the light to turn green.

For the sake of discussion, let's rule the Vette out. In a G35-GTO comparo, all I can tell you is this: When my friend drove my GTO a few weeks ago, he couldn't keep his foot out of the accelerator. He went home and told his wife, "I gotta get one of those."

Buy a Vette and you're just another guy in a Vette. Buy a G35 and you'll see yourself coming and going. Buy a GTO, and you'll leave all those G35s in your rearview mirror with their drivers muttering, "What was that?"

·
Registered
25 Posts
djdub said:
I hope you don't really believe this.
Sorry, I miss-spoke. That data came from pre-production notes before the new 350Z was built in 2003. It compared the engineering specs at the time and the 350Z "enthusiast" (automatic model) was supposted to weigh almost 800 more pounds than final version and the motor was not going to be uprated, therefore (extra lbs. x same hp = less hp per lbs. ratio) made it, on paper, be slower than the Altima with same engine and trans.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The G35 handles quite well, but it has the world's most annoying exhaust "moan." Its headlights are better and it has more gadgets, but the GTO's interior is better and acceleration kicks the crap out of the G35.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input so far, and definitely keep it coming!

Let's see...

I should have said in the beginning a couple things...
I wont be driving in the snow, I live in Sacramento and will drive with someone else if heading to the slopes! I don't need a back seat, all I use it for now in the Camaro is throwing my bag and other junk...have only had someone back there twice. Although it is convienent.
Oh, and I personally like the sound of the G35, I do NOT like ricey import cars but the G35 has a much nicer sound that is not bad.

Infinity is probably the most luxurious, the Vette will NOT hold up as a daily driver. I am in a Corvette Club, and the reason the C'5s look so good is becuase they're babied and not driven regularly.
Really? That was my biggest concern with the Vette, of course the Vette forum guys said the opposite and that it's a great daily driver :confused

Go with the GTO you don't want the same car as your roomate that would be gay. Not only that you'll have a faster car and can talk chit.
:lol: Yeah kinda, but we decided it would only be gay if I had the SAME color and that it would actually be cool if we had same car different colors :D

Ok so the quality of the GTO is great, solid, nice interior, great power.... how's the handling? The G35 handles very nice....and I like that. So how does the GTO compare? I know that straight line performance is no comparison....kinda obvious, but what about the rest? Because I mean, the G35 is not a slow car, it's neck and neck with my LT1 Z28 so it's plenty of power to get around and have some fun, but I dont want another car that handles and drives like a Camaro :eek:

Ok....think thats it! Thanks again and keep 'em coming if you have any more opinions.

-Tim

P.S. I am definitely gonna drive each car as much as I can before I decide ( I still have not seen a GTO up close or driven in one - dealer was sold out :( ) but I like getting lots of info first!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It all really depends on what you are looking for. I have a G35 coupe and my friend just bought an '05 GTO that I drove last night. For straight line performance, there is no contest unless you modify the G heavily (forced induction). WHen you start taking the cars into the twisties, thing get a little different. The GTO is slightly more floaty, though I bet it is because of the 17" which as opposed to the 18" wheels on the G35 coupe (2003-2004 since '05's are available with 19" wheels). Top Gear tested each car on their track. They got a 1:31 for the G35 and a 1:34 for the GTO. The G35 also comes with Xenons, Homelink, a sunroof, available navigation system, Brembo brakes (once again '03's and '04's, not avail in '05's), loaners when it is in for service, exceptional build quality, reliability, and in my opinion, looks. I have had many people think the car is worth a lot more than I paid for it (upwards of $60K).

Another thing to consider is the resale value of the car if you don't plan on keeping it forever. The resale on the G35 coupe is incredible. The residuals for a 3 yr. lease is above 60% which is extremely rare. Unfortunately, the GTO is not doing as well, thogh the '05's looks like they will do a lot better than the '04's.

If you are coming from a T/A, I think you might be better off with the GTO. You will miss the torque of the T/A if you got the G35. The GTO is worlds ahead of that car in every respect. THe torque and power of the GTO is great, but so is winding out the G35 on the roads through the twisties. I think you need to figure out if you want to sacrifice a little speed for features that the GTO can't have. If those features are unimportant to you, then the GTO is the buy to make.

I am in the same dilemma as you. I love the GTO and the G35, but I don't think that the GTO compares to the G35 at the same price range. At the prices of the '04's the GTO is way ahead just based on price. If the '05's get down to the 27-28K range with rebates and incentives, i'll be trading my G35 for one.

Hope this helps a little bit, coming from the other side of the field!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Tim Currie said:
Ok so the quality of the GTO is great, solid, nice interior, great power.... how's the handling?
What you really need to do, Tim, is consider how you'll actually, truly drive the car in day-to-day use. The G35 no doubt would be a tick quicker around a track or through some cones than the GTO. But that's largely academic; having that factoid tucked in the back of your brain is of no use on your daily commute. Seriously, unless bench racing's your thing, what difference does it make? My Corvette would've smoked both the GTO and the G35 on a track . . . if I'd ever driven it on one. But I didn't. I drove it on the same roads--on the same commute--that I'm making now in my GTO. So if I couldn't fully exploit the vastly superior handling afforded by a dedicated sports car, do you really think you're going to miss the extra few tenths a G35 might make in the hands of an expert driver on a race track?

Now, to be specific about the handling: The GTO's a bit heavy, so it'll never be darty as a go-kart or lightning-fast in left-right transitions. It would rather take a set and move through a turn with grace and aplomb. Considering how you're likely to drive (if it's anything like I do), you'll be more than satisfied.

By the way, it's really interesting that we're comparing a GTO to a G35 for a change. Seems like this forum and all the car mags mainly compare the GTO to the Mustang. That we're looking at a different match-up this time just goes to show how special the Goat actually is: Part muscle car with its 400-horsepower pushrod V8 and hood scoops, and part sophisticated sports sedan with its tasteful interior, roomy seating and independent rear suspension.

Tim, the mere fact that you are looking to move out of an F-body and are considering these three particular cars--a Corvette, G35 or GTO--as a replacement makes my point for me. If you're used to the grunt and visceral thrill of your Camaro, yet yearn for something more sophisticated and upscale, the GTO solves your problem. You get to keep the former and gain the latter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very good post GM_KID, Personally, another reason for my dilemma is because I actually do autocross my G35 and plan on attending my first HPDE this summer. My dilemma comes from how well the G35 does at the autoX and how others have experienced the G35 at the full size tracks. It isn't Miata like handling, but it is something that I am yearning for that I am not sure the GTO can handle with the high curb weight (though the G35 is by no means a lightweight itself). I believe I'll have as much fun at the full tracks with either car (though the GTO may put a bigger smile on my face powering out of the turns), but I think that the larger wheelbase and higher curb weight will be a dissapointment at the autocross.

To each his own I guess.....this is a very hard decision to make!!! Either way, they are both incredible cars and everyone should be happy with either one.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.