Votes: 9 12.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I picked driver because its a daily driver, I take it on the twisty mountain roads, road track, trips and I enjoy driving it. You only live once, can't take the damn thing with you when you die!

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
:agree

My excuse was "The hell with it, I have the cash, life is short, and I won't be totally broke."

Going to a funeral for a friend/mentor from work after he was in a motorcycle accident about a week before really drove that point home for me.

And yeah, I rip it... within reason, I don't exactly enjoy police attention, so I try to avoid it. Nonetheless, my GTO ain't no garage queen unless there's salt on the roads.

·
Registered
172 Posts
more of an owner at this time, drive it on the weekends and on long trips. otherwise use my dd.. when i move to my next place it will have a covered parking space for the goat and i will transform into a driver.. :)
:party:

·
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm, interesting responses. Well, here is where I was going with this. When I was 18 and got my first GTO ('67)in '77 we had a real tight bunch of Pontiac guys. We were "owners". We believed that people with GTOs, Lemans, Tempests, and Gran Prixs fell into these 2 categories. To us an owner bought his Pontiac because he loved the car. It was not the flavor of the year, something to be bought, modded, demodded, and sold the next year. It was bought forever, or maybe a real long time. An owner did thrash the car, raced it, drove it hard. But he did not beat on his car. Nor drive it if something was wrong. When it was modded, the mod was complete, it was never just get it driving and finish later.
A driver on the other hand, bought the car because it was cool. But the car itself was not important to him. It was just another car. Mods done cheaply and with no love.
An owner has Pontiac blood running in his veins and is pained to see a driver beat on his car.

does that make the question clearer?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Yeah it makes it clearer for what you was asking. I was thinking of the compleate opposite. By your definition I don't fall into nither on of them:lol: This is my second Pontiac, that I owned and modded, I wanted this car before most GTO owners new what they were. My definition is different from yours, but it don't matter this is your thread.;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess I am a car owner.
I've always been partial to GTOs but those weren't the only muscle cars I've owned over the years. It also doesn't apply to just old muscle cars. I've dug most of the newer vehicles we've owned also (I love my '96 GMC pickup).
There was/is some newer vehicles that I couldn't wait/can't wait to get rid of (an '88 Subaru we once owned, the Altima 2.5S we own now). I should have followed my instincts and bought an Altima 3.5SE.
Anyway, I would consider myself a car owner instead of strictly a GTO owner.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Sometimes I can be both. I went with Driver because I generally can't help myself on open curves, empty on-ramps, or just taking the goat out to get some food...

·
Registered
621 Posts
You're an owner if you possess the title. You're a driver if you're sitting behind the steering wheel with the engine running and the transmission in gear. You can be both or either or neither -- all while having a GTO in your driveway.

·
GTOAA 04-06 Technical Advisor
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're an owner if you possess the title. You're a driver if you're sitting behind the steering wheel with the engine running and the transmission in gear. You can be both or either or neither -- all while having a GTO in your driveway.
This is the literal way of looking at this. I was talking more philisophical.

I am such an owner, the day the car came in (27 Jan 04) after 7 months of waiting for it, the rocker panel emblem from my first '67 and my hat I wore with the GTO patch sewed on from 1977 both went in first before I got it and neither has left the car since.

The saddest day of the year, for me, was the Pontiac Death announcement day.

and yes, an owner can drive his car, but he is not a driver. A driver would sell the car tomorrow if a better deal came along. If I had to sell all my stuff because of some catastophic event, the car would be the absolute last item to go, after all my tools, the house, the truck, everything.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
This is the literal way of looking at this. I was talking more philisophical.

I am such an owner, the day the car came in (27 Jan 04) after 7 months of waiting for it, the rocker panel emblem from my first '67 and my hat I wore with the GTO patch sewed on from 1977 both went in first before I got it and neither has left the car since.

The saddest day of the year, for me, was the Pontiac Death announcement day.

and yes, an owner can drive his car, but he is not a driver. A driver would sell the car tomorrow if a better deal came along. If I had to sell all my stuff because of some catastophic event, the car would be the absolute last item to go, after all my tools, the house, the truck, everything.
I guess that makes me a driver then.:)

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I don't own my car... the bank does.

Either way, I am a driver. I push the car to its limits, do my own work, and keep it shiney and fresh!

I could car less that it says GTO. I love the car for what it is and will get something better in a few years if I find something. I'm loyal to speed, not brands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
driver with owner plans the car isn't going anywhere, but if it was the my home or the car the car is gone can't live in it. The trunk is to small. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
We can all agree to disagree with the definition of either driver or owner. I am a car fanatic, I have always had a passion for Pontiacs, especially growing up in the Smokey and the Bandit, and Knight Rider era! Watching and dreaming of cars as a kid, I have to say I am no different as an adult. I have had 3 pontiacs a 1967 Bonneville, 1991 GTA, and my 1967 GTO. I miss my Bonneville and could not imagine parting with my Goat. Though I enjoy the GTA (I get my Kitt fix), to me it is still a new car and if I had to sell it, I would be a little sad, but not heartbroken. The 60's and 70's cars to me are the best thing in the world and I am such a firm believer of smoke em' if you got em' (tires that is) I can't help but field myself as a driver who is a little more passionate than your average owner. I hope I wasn't too philosophical. Hey I drove all the way from Florida to Ohio for the national convention, thats gotta grab me some points right?:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts