Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never kept a car more than 30 days without performing some performance mod. On my Mustang, a CAI, Underdrive Pulleys, Iridium Plugs, and C&L Intake Plenum were all I needed for low 13's. The GTO makes mid to low 13's stock, so without tearing into the engine interals, what can I do to get some more ponies? I already have a K&N CAI and a B&M Shifter. Are there any aftermarket underdrive pulleys? Also - is the Predator Tuner worth the cash? Thanks for the input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
SLP makes an underdrive pulley, I've got them for $225.00, you'll need a couple of belts from your local parts store for another $50.00 and you'll be good. The tuner your asking about has a few mixed reviews, do some searching on this forum and it should help you make a decision. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there just one pulley? The kit for the stang had 3 - alternator, waterpump and crank shaft. I was able to use the same belt, just took up the slack with the tensionor. Where does it go?
 
G

·
best mods you can ever do to a manual car is to install steeper gears, say a 3.73 and some drag radials. :) Those will get you into the 12's with enough practice and cool temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
QwkRed05GTO said:
Is there just one pulley? The kit for the stang had 3 - alternator, waterpump and crank shaft. I was able to use the same belt, just took up the slack with the tensionor. Where does it go?
I know what you're talking about on the 'stang, it's not the same on the LS1, you replace just the crank pulley (harmonic balancer), and yes you do have to get slightly smaller belts. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
big_mike said:
best mods you can ever do to a manual car is to install steeper gears, say a 3.73 and some drag radials. :) Those will get you into the 12's with enough practice and cool temps.
GTO is my daily driver, so I'm hesitant to go lower than the 3.46 already in the rear end. I Have 4.10's in my Mustang and it winds pretty high on the hwy. But yes, that does improve acceleration.

BTW - I installed the B&M Shifter today and I love it. It took me a few adjustments to get the set screws adjusted correctly (if you have them touch the shifter at rest, you get a bad vibration when cruising at highway speeds). Very tight, short throws. Jeg's has the best price I could find: $165.00. Part number is 130-45043.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Well with the 6 speed, big gears are no problem. A friend of mine has 4.30's in his Heads/cam T/A and drives it all the time. And STILL gets 25-30 pmg on the higway. Get the 3.91's from DiffTechnics.
I promise it won't be but a few hundred RPM higher on the highway, and it'll help alot. I want some, but I am working on some little mods first. CAI, Tune, then Catback and LT's. That right there is good for around 380 to the wheels, and in some cases more.

That would get you high 12's at 110 or so depending on the weather. That'd be just about enough to keep up with stock C5 Z06's or a least a C6 from a roll. Then get some sticky tires and lay down some mid 12's. (If I'm off on any of that, please correct me. Usually I will look all that up first to make sure I don't look stupid, but I have to go from memory right now because my Calc III class starts in 4 minutes!!!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
slonlo_350 said:
That right there is good for around 380 to the wheels, and in some cases more.
Hmmmm. You might be a tad optimistic on those figures.

slonlo_350 said:
That would get you high 12's at 110 or so depending on the weather. That'd be just about enough to keep up with stock C5 Z06's or a least a C6 from a roll.
From a roll, maybe. From a standing start you'll still be looking at someone's personized license plate.... :D

slo
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top