Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a 19 year old engineering student in ohio. I just started my Co-op job so I've got money to spend and I want to buy a new car. I currently drive a 95 integra gsr and ive been thinking about getting a GTO. I want to know if the GTO is right for me.

I'm looking for a 2004 manual, auto isnt an option for me. I want the 04 b/c its 1) better on gas 2) has a bigger trunk and 3) its not as flashy as the 05s

I was wondering how expensive the GTO is to insure? Also, does it have enough room for me to haul stuff from home to college in the trunk? I can fit almost everything I own in my integra. I'm hoping that when I test drive a GTO that I really like it. The "fun to drive" factor is a major thing for me.

Also I plan on autocrossing this car. Does anyone here have any input on how competitive the GTO is? I'd leave it stock so I would be competing against mustangs and f bodies in the FS class. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Bunch of points and comments.

1. trunks are not any bigger.
2. Gas mileage is almost exactly the same.
3. True
4. Insurance is extremely cheap. Call your current company and ask for a quote.
5. Storage is not a big plus on this car. Depends on what you are toting, but you might need to use the back seat.
6. Should do extremely well against F-bodies and mustangs. You would have a superior suspension.

That being all said, its allot of car for a 19 year old. please do not take offense by the statement, but its a world of difference from your Acura.
1. Being RWD
2. Being MUCH heavier

That means it can get out of control easier. Speaking as a dad, I would reccomend something with less power and more manauveribility, especially autocrossing.

Speaking as a 34 year old,19 year old. Get the Goat and have a great time with it. Its an amazing car.

·
Registered
910 Posts
dealernut said:
Bunch of points and comments.

1. trunks are not any bigger.
2. Gas mileage is almost exactly the same.
3. True
5. Storage is not a big plus on this car. Depends on what you are toting, but you might need to use the back seat.
6. Should do extremely well against F-bodies and mustangs. You would have a superior suspension.

That being all said, its allot of car for a 19 year old. please do not take offense by the statement, but its a world of difference from your Acura.
1. Being RWD
2. Being MUCH heavier

That means it can get out of control easier. Speaking as a dad, I would reccomend something with less power and more manauveribility, especially autocrossing.

Speaking as a 34 year old,19 year old. Get the Goat and have a great time with it. Its an amazing car.
:agree
PS........The GTO has a trunk? :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input.

Yes i know it is a heavy car, which is one thing im worried I might not like, but I used to drive a 99 Durango with a 5.8 V8 and I liked that car.

As far as being able to handle it I know its a world of difference from my acura, but I'm on the FSAE team and the cars I drive there have power to weight ratios that make a Z06 look tame. 0-60 in under 3.5sec, 1.5g in the skid pad. Most of my autocrossing this summer will be done in one of those, so the GTO would be more of a pleasure vehicle or something to race when all the seats in the race car are spoken for.

The other car on my list would be a new Civic Si, just because I know I would like it since it would be so similar to my Acura. But the GTO has just always seemed like a great package.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
tkd0706 said:
thanks for the input.

Yes i know it is a heavy car, which is one thing im worried I might not like, but I used to drive a 99 Durango with a 5.8 V8 and I liked that car.

As far as being able to handle it I know its a world of difference from my acura, but I'm on the FSAE team and the cars I drive there have power to weight ratios that make a Z06 look tame. 0-60 in under 3.5sec, 1.5g in the skid pad. Most of my autocrossing this summer will be done in one of those, so the GTO would be more of a pleasure vehicle or something to race when all the seats in the race car are spoken for.

The other car on my list would be a new Civic Si, just because I know I would like it since it would be so similar to my Acura. But the GTO has just always seemed like a great package.
If you have the driving experience then I'd say go for it sir. You only love once.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I don't want to be the party pooper here, but I would highly recommend checking with your insurance company about the price of your insurance. When I was 19, I went out and bought a brand new Trans Am and the insurance was more expensive per month than the car itself.
If you want something fun to drive, go for the GTO. I would get the '05 too though, it's not going to cost you much more in insurance or gas and you get 50 extra horsepower/ft.lb of torque too. I averaged 26.9 miles/gallon recently over a 1500 mile trip, so the gas mileage really isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My daughter had an Integra while she was in school. The Integra has more storage space than a GTO.

If you already are insured for the GSR, you may not see a significant jump in insurance costs, but that may also depend on the area. You will have 4 more cylinders, and a lot more HP, both factors that insurance companies consider.

My advice to a young guy, just entering college, with all the expenses involved is to find something less expensive, and less expensive to "feed". Not to mention, unless your school is different from any I've been to, whatever car you take is going to get beat to crap in the parking lots.

I've got a son in ISAT school at JMU, and I would no sooner consider giving him a GTO than I would a Ferrari.

You do only go around once in life, but yours is just beginning. Lots of time to buy fast, expensive cars when you may be in a better position to maintain it.

That said, if Mom & Dad are footing all the bills for the car, and you've got the good sense to handle that much power, all my best wishes.

I seem to be consistently in a minority here on advising folks NOT to buy a GTO. I've only had one a few weeks, and I love this car, so it's nothing against the quality of the car. Maybe it's my age, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone less than 20, and still in school can afford to buy and maintain one of these vehicles. Unless you're planning on working, it's not possible (barring parental subsidies). My philosphy for my kids was that school IS your job.

·
Registered
700 Posts
oddly enough, I agree with BOTH of the last posts. It does require a certain amount of responsibility to drive a car such as a GTO...both financial and otherwise. However, life IS short and the GTO *will* put a smile on your face every time you drive it. So I guess it comes down to what you want and what you think you can handle and afford. Good Luck with whatever choice you make.
:cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
dealernut said:
yes and no.....

Being 19, this car, as well as any car, can be extremely expensive to insure....
Do you have a parent who will put the car and you on their policy?

I didn't ....a quick story...
I didn't have insurance on any car until I was 20. Reason....insurance stereotyping. My first car, an '88 ford tempo, was quoted $2000/6mo PLPD! I never had anyone who I could share a policy. I did't change very much over the years, until I got into my 20's.

My GTO was returned because the 20yr old guy couldn't afford $540/mo for full coverage.

Go to www.geico.com www.progressive.com , both will allow insurance quotes with out a VIN, so check there before even stepping foot on to a lot, It could save you alot of time.

If your area is anything like here, a financed car must have full coverage until paid off...

Jake

·
Registered
88 Posts
Insurance

I have been doing a lot of shopping for insurace b/c I am about to purchase a gto. I am 23 and insurance for a 19 yr old is probably about the same. The cheapest full coverage I found was at Progressive and it was about 900 bucks for six months. That's bad, but I want one bad enough to justify it. As I said that was the cheapest, the expensive ones more than doubled that price.

·
Registered
103 Posts
dealernut said:
i had a 17 year old pay cash for a GTO and he traded in a 98 Eclipse. His rates dropped.

good for him......

I saw an episode of 'overhaulin' where they wanted to change the front clip of a Magnum to a 300...So, they call up a 16yr old kid that owns a 300 and ask him to swap front ends! Next thing you know, there he is....getting his brand new car chopped up, not a care in the world......The magnum looked greeat with the 300 frontend on it, the 300.....well, lets just say the color matched pretty good.

my opinion, 16 and 17 yr olds should have to drive beaters (like I did :) ). But hey, if they got the money, who am I to complain;)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
nineball481 said:
good for him......

I saw an episode of 'overhaulin' where they wanted to change the front clip of a Magnum to a 300...So, they call up a 16yr old kid that owns a 300 and ask him to swap front ends! Next thing you know, there he is....getting his brand new car chopped up, not a care in the world......The magnum looked greeat with the 300 frontend on it, the 300.....well, lets just say the color matched pretty good.

my opinion, 16 and 17 yr olds should have to drive beaters (like I did :) ). But hey, if they got the money, who am I to complain;)
His father was in a terrible accident and he bought him the GTO as a condolence for the loss of his father.

Really good kid. Very sad story.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have State Farm insurance and i would be on my dads policy, hes had 1 ticket and 1 accident in 44 years of driving so our rates a pretty good. I went online to their website and checked insurance for an 04 GTO and an 06 Civic Si, the GTO was actually cheaper. We'll have to call our insurance agent to get a more accurate quote though.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
tkd0706 said:
I have State Farm insurance and i would be on my dads policy, hes had 1 ticket and 1 accident in 44 years of driving so our rates a pretty good. I went online to their website and checked insurance for an 04 GTO and an 06 Civic Si, the GTO was actually cheaper. We'll have to call our insurance agent to get a more accurate quote though.

that sounds right. The Civic is one of the most stolen cars in history.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the same position tkd0706.

19, part time college student, working full time and looking for a new GTO. I'm on the same insurance policy with my mother using State Farm and with nearly full coverage it will cost around $150 a month, which is about the same as my current 05 ford focus.

From what I've seen, college students don't seem to bounce off of other cars too much (I do have a nice little dent in my focus with no one claiming responsibility... :shutme) but as long as you take normal parking lot precautions (IE, don't park near the group of cars, and don't park near someone with huge dents all over their car)

It is a bit of a car to start off from an integra but who says the throttle has to be open the whole drive. Personally I've been driving quads since I was 3 (suzuki 80cc) and cars since I was 7 (old Toyota truck), all you gotta do is find the feel and know your, and your cars limitations... and as long as you don't go over that limit, it doesn't really matter how heavy or what engine your car has.

That being said... 19 with a GTO, did someone say chick magnet?

·
Registered
700 Posts
If you drive it, you WILL want it. Mark my words. ;)

I wasn't quite sure about mine until I got behind the wheel. It's a rush which few other cars can give you...and NO other car for the money can even come close.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.