Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cool photos, it looks like you had a great trip! I have yet to take an extended trip in the GTO but I look forward to the opportunity. In checking out your other pictures I dig the hot rod cake from your wedding, very cool. In-N-Out catering your wedding??!!! why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, I'm 1000 miles from the closest In-N-Out. I could sure use a burger and fries about now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sinister said:
Cool photos, it looks like you had a great trip! I have yet to take an extended trip in the GTO but I look forward to the opportunity. In checking out your other pictures I dig the hot rod cake from your wedding, very cool. In-N-Out catering your wedding??!!! why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, I'm 1000 miles from the closest In-N-Out. I could sure use a burger and fries about now.

wasn't that a great idea? I'm pissed off I only ate one burger the whole night.

BTW, in case you didn't know the Hot Rod cake is a replica of my '55 :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
HOTRODGUY....those pics are drool material I admire you bro, I barely can afford this damn toy and you get the pleasure of touring the country with it damn nation that is incredible oh well, more motivation to work harder. :cheers

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great blog. I like the photo of the front of your car with all the bugs as it shows that you and your wife know what the T in GTO stands for. Bugs like that don't come from sitting still. Last year I went from S.Bend In. to Alpena Mi. twice for some military training. Each trip was about 850 mi. round trip. The GTO is a very good touring car as you are aware. I hope this encourages others to use theirs' in this manner.
There was a book written some time back called Blue Highways (I think) that talked about seeing the US from the back roads. If you can find it you might like it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Don said:
Great blog. I like the photo of the front of your car with all the bugs as it shows that you and your wife know what the T in GTO stands for. Bugs like that don't come from sitting still. Last year I went from S.Bend In. to Alpena Mi. twice for some military training. Each trip was about 850 mi. round trip. The GTO is a very good touring car as you are aware. I hope this encourages others to use theirs' in this manner.
There was a book written some time back called Blue Highways (I think) that talked about seeing the US from the back roads. If you can find it you might like it.

I'll have to find that book. I'm really stoked to have a great car for these trips, esp. w/ how comfortable it is. Only problem is (well it's not a problem) is I haven't taught my wife to drive manual yet, so she complains a lot. We'll most likely have to take my dads C5 A4 (not that that's a problem) on our next trip.

I'll start updating the blog w/ some of our old trips soon. We've gone cross country a few times (gone straight across, done the north, and the south), last time was from D.C. to So Cal all on 2 lane back roads. Took us about 2 weeks. I've also covered a decent amount of good roads in Virginia, West VA, Tennessee, North Carolina, Maryland and Penn. Not bad for a 24 year old :D

Hoping to get up to Wyoming at the end of summer going through utah, colorado, etc. That may be a solo trip though.

Still can't believe i've hit 11K now in less then 6 months.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lotaguts said:
HOTRODGUY....those pics are drool material I admire you bro, I barely can afford this damn toy and you get the pleasure of touring the country with it damn nation that is incredible oh well, more motivation to work harder. :cheers

Yea, I love this country, a lot of my friends go to Europe, or exotic places and always look puzzled to why we would want to drive around the country. They have no clue what they are missing. Sure i'd love to go to Europe, etc. But for now i'll spend my money covering our land until I can afford to cover other country's in the same style :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey HotRod.......very cool trip pics. Thanks for the flashback as I lived in Laguna Hills a few years back and can only describe to fellow car nut/motorcycle officianados here (I now live in the very humid state of florida) how cool the southwest is just for the simple pleasure of doing just what you have documented. Get on your favorite mode of transportation and just ride.......or drive in your case. My favorite rides around your area are the Ortega Hwy and Mullholland up in LA. Good luck to you and your new wife.

Happy Trails.....Gpr1200r

·
Registered
165 Posts
HotRodGuy said:
Enjoyed very much your account of the trip- especially the part about Yosimite. Wife and I took our Goat all the way from Louisiana to Yosimite last year. Some of your photos brought back some wonderful memories of our own trip. I loved carving out the curves in the road down to see the big Sequoias. Like you we came in via the east entrance.

If you like narrow roads with no center stripe and lots of curves, cut-backs and steep grades, try CA Hwy. 4 next time your out that way. Damnest smooth paved road I've ever driven! -Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey hotrodguy - is your GTO the 2006 spice red color? That's the one that I'm looking at. This one doesn't look like torrid red. I'm pretty excited about getting one - hopefully I'll seal the deal tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.