Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Uhhhhhhhh? V8 mustang? Do those things have a V8 under the hood? Wow I would have sworn it was a 4 cylinder by how slow they are. You might as well ask why a cavalier is beter than mustang.

·
Registered
689 Posts
It all comes down to the horsepower to weight ratio. Bone stock the GTO is 9.5 to 1 which is significantly lower than the others you mentioned. Take the weight of the vehicle and divide it by the stock engine horsepower. The lower the better. Of course at high speeds, drag coeficients come into play.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It all comes down to the horsepower to weight ratio. Bone stock the GTO is 9.5 to 1 which is significantly lower than the others you mentioned. Take the weight of the vehicle and divide it by the stock engine horsepower. The lower the better. Of course at high speeds, drag coeficients come into play.
I don't have the actual numbers at hand, but I doubt that the Mustang has a better drag coefficient than the GTO. Just look at the front of the car and it was clearly not designed with minimal drag coefficient in mind.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I agree! I think the curb weight is around 3450lbs for the manual GT. Divide that by 300 hp...11.5 to 1. Significantly higher than the GTO. The big flat front definatly slows it a bit at higher speeds. That's where the Dodge 300C and the Charger SRT 8 fail compared to the GTO. Plus both of their horse power to weight ratios are still higher than the GTO, but only slightly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
GTO - PERFECT SLEEPER! LS-series engine is practically bullet-proof, not to mention that, hey, it's a Chevy/GM small-block V8 - simply put, the best V8 for muscle (Hey, there's a reason why even Fords put the GM smallblocks into them!)
SRT-4 - Fun little car - when it actually runs. But it's a brutal ride that is really cheap - in two ways (price and quality.) Plus, it's not even AWD, let alone RWD.
Mustang V8 - Unless you're talking their top Shelby's/GT500's, they're over-rated, under-handling, and while they've got some decent power, they're simply slower than the GTO's. Not to mention far more common.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is all reaAllly helpful. I'm doing a persuasive speech on why the GTO is severley underrated. So any stats and/or opinions are welcome. Thanks all

·
Registered
11 Posts
unless youre talking about the '03/'04 cobras, then i wouldnt say the GTO is a better performing car. i love the GTO, but as far as power, 0-60,1/4mile, handling and stopping power (basically performance aspects) the '03/'04 Cobra beats the 6.0 and most definately 5.7 GTO's.
only to the certain eye does the cobra stand out from a normal new edge mustang.

i want a GTO solely on:
1: its not as common as a mustang
2: i love the interior
3: 400hp/400tq :party:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Easy. 3 point persuasive speach.

1) its the best performer - use hp/lb, power, etc to illustrate it. note its success in Formula D

2) quality - amazing leather seats, nice layout inside, 6 disc in dash system, seats 4 comfortably, nice ride quality, etc.

3) style - mix of power and stealth. less common than a 'stang by a mile. In an age where everything's retro for show, the GTO has character.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Next? Mustang, please, an overpriced GT500 is about the only factory mustang that competes. Can I supercharge my GTO and see what it will do? Bottom line, just cheat somehow, hey, how about NOS on the Goat? Would the weight and coeff matter then?:lol:

Anyone see the new Boss 302 with 390 ponies? I'm sure Ford is trying their hardest to keep up....

A GT500 with a 12:87 isn't what I call impressive, nor is any Mustang. Give me the bottle or supercharger then let's see what happens. Hey, all throttle, no bottle, or charger for that matter. GTO hands down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with LaPuzza. Hands down the GTO is a much better car than the other two you mentioned!! And the SRT4??? You will still have a Neon!! lol............

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with LaPuzza. Hands down the GTO is a much better car than the other two you mentioned!! And the SRT4??? You will still have a Neon!! lol............
Just a note on the Neon statement.
with just a few dollar mods this neon becomes a 12.9 to 11.8 sec car.
I own a GTO and at the strip we see the SRT-4 take down a lot of car you would think it could,,
be careful of the little SRT-4..it's a big car for the price...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Isn't that the "TRUTH" as I was thinking the same thing. All throttle no BOTTLE and/or SUPERCHARGER at a working man's price. Now add the SUPERCHARGER like you stated and see who is first on race day. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Id get the SRT4, GM has gave me lots of problems, do has the car.

Ford doesnt seem to want to sell me a mustang

·
Registered
249 Posts
Either get a GTO or an 03/04 Cobra. Don't get one of the crap new mustangs.
The Cobras seem hard to find, I been looking local

1 - 18 of 18 Posts