Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I came across an orange C6 Vette. Automatic with the Z51 pkg. Old guy, probably about 40 or so. He sees me come up behind him, and he speeds up so we can catch the redlight. We get beside each other. Each of us looking at each other, we knew what was going to happen next.

Light turns green, and we're off, I get a perfect launch and pull about a half a car until about 20 when he proceeds to go by me. Those things are ****ing quick! By about 65 or so when we shut down, he had about 1.5 cars on me. I wasn't trying to go much faster seeing as we were getting ready to enter the town limits which are 25.

C6 :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fergyflyer said:
He's 500 lbs lighter than you (the car). GTODealer has his car named right. That's ok though fat girls need lovin too.

Nice try!
The guy himself was a good 150 less than me :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
fat nick said:
Today I came across an orange C6 Vette. Automatic with the Z51 pkg. Old guy, probably about 40 or so.......................

I had a C6 Z-51, A4.......your right, it will eat a stock GTO for breakfast, lunch AND dinner!

.........OLD guy huh?....................I,m 56..............GOD, IYHO, that makes me ...............really OLD! .............;)

How old did you say you are..............it's all relative!

70 seem's......... "OLD".... to me now!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Yup...the GTO is fast, but the Z06's and C6's will beat us. The C6 is much lighter than the GTO, plus the Vette's Factory Intake breaths alot better than the GTO's. Now a C5 would be a better race, as long as it isn't a Z06 :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
JTYLER1604 said:
Yeah - you can EMBARESS a C5, and it is one of the most gratifying things I have done. Especially when the guy driving the Vett admits to it at the next light. Priceless. :party:

WE have 50 more HP and more TQ.......................however we are about 600 pounds heavier than a C5..........so a length or two is not too bad!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Vettes are not for Lunch get it right. They are not even for snacks. C5/C6 Z06 are off limits. On good day these things hang with Vipers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
patisi said:
Vettes are not for Lunch get it right. They are not even for snacks. C5/C6 Z06 are off limits. On good day these things hang with Vipers.
If what you're saying is Corvette Z06= crushed GTO, I'll agree. Stock for stock the C5 versus the 05 GTO is a drivers race with a slight edge to the GTO. Maybe what you are saying is the Vette (C5) is a full course meal that will leave you feeling satisfied while digesting it, not just lunch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vnamvet said:
I had a C6 Z-51, A4.......your right, it will eat a stock GTO for breakfast, lunch AND dinner!

.........OLD guy huh?....................I,m 56..............GOD, IYHO, that makes me ...............really OLD! .............;)

How old did you say you are..............it's all relative!

70 seem's......... "OLD".... to me now!!
I'm sorry, I'm just 19 :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
patisi said:
Vettes are not for Lunch get it right. They are not even for snacks. C5/C6 Z06 are off limits. On good day these things hang with Vipers.
Sorry....but the C5 will not beat the 05' GTO... in a straight line that is.
On a road course I beat plenty of C5's and a few beat me too... so I would call that a drivers race.

The C6 and any Z06 will beat the 05' GTO in a straight line and on a road course the Z06 will destroy a GTO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Since I own both a 98 C5 and 2005 GTO both with A4's I can tell you there is no comparision.
The C5 will walk a GTO any way, any time! Unless the driver is asleep. :rofl:
The C5 is 3242lbs vs 3750lbs for the goat not to mention the areo that starts to come into play above 60mph, your pushing a billboard compared to the .29 cd of the C5.
And off the line the C5 has the advantage of 50/50 weight distrubution! :seeya:
Don't get me wrong the GTO is a great car just not in the same class as the Corvette. :cheers
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,640 Posts
Firstgoat said:
Since I own both a 98 C5 and 2005 GTO both with A4's I can tell you there is no comparision.
The C5 will walk a GTO any way, any time! Unless the driver is asleep. :rofl:
The C5 is 3242lbs vs 3750lbs for the goat not to mention the areo that starts to come into play above 60mph, your pushing a billboard compared to the .29 cd of the C5.
And off the line the C5 has the advantage of 50/50 weight distrubution! :seeya:
Don't get me wrong the GTO is a great car just not in the same class as the Corvette. :cheers
Well I also had a 98 C5 A4 with 300 rwhp/300rwtq and I disagree with you. No need to go into details but I disagree.

Here's my Vette before I sold it.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/scrapbook/vehicle_detail.cfm?id=118
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
The 50 hp can make up for the 500 lbs. Its just hard for me to find a C5 to race (only been trying for 3 days though) but the only one I came up on had a middle aged bald guy driving it and he didn't want to play :(. It was a vert too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
To put it simply, this is how the 05 GTO will match up to the newest vette's (C5+) -

C5 - It's mostly a matter of the driver. The GTO has the stronger engine, but is also a good deal heavier. For the most part whichever driver is more skilled with their vehicle is the one who will win.

C5Z - Hate to say it, but the C5 Z06 has a nice advantage. It's still a good deal lighter, but this time has the same power performance as the 05 GTO. As long as there is a semi skilled driver behind the wheel, he will be able to pull on the GTO... although not too bad.

C6 - For the most part the same as the C5Z. So everything from that applies here pretty much.

C6 Z51 - There really isn't too much of a difference in terms of straight line dragging. It's basically the same as the C6 in that respect.

C6 Z06 - Forget about it... please. I'm not joking, this car is by far out of the league of the GTO. The driver could take off without pushing it to squeak the tires once and would easily be a good 4+ cars ahead by the 1/4 mile mark. Remember, this sucker is on par with F430's and Gallardo's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really think C5's shouldn't be a problem, my Stang GT would beat autos from rolls, and from a stop be right beside it. And it too was an auto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
fat nick said:
I really think C5's shouldn't be a problem, my Stang GT would beat autos from rolls, and from a stop be right beside it. And it too was an auto.
I have raced a few stock/minimally modded 05 gtos from a 40 mph roll. I walk them everytime. I am more than willing to prove it if you want to race. I would love to see your stang walk a C5 from a roll unless its modded pretty well. I have beaten a couple 03 cobras from a roll. Here is a video of a similar modded C5 to mine, and he also beats a cobra from a roll.
http://video.ls1tech.com/player.aspx?fileid=41FCF18C-C6DB-4CA6-A4BD-6F386D093D70 I don't think a gto can beat a cobra from a roll.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top