Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is. However, there have been conflicting magazine articles to this fact that raise alot of questions as to how unbiased the magazine was. (This is probably where your friend got his information) There are alot of threads on this though. The only Charger that comes close is the SRT which has the 425 HP hemi engine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
infinitemethod212 said:
Was discussing this with a friend. I thought the new GTO would be quicker than the Charger because of weight reasons. Am I wrong?
As mentioned, only the SRT-8 (425 hp version) can run with an 05 GTO. It also costs substantially more than a GTO.

What I have seen from several mags comes down to driver skill. Most testing done is between an Automatic equipped Charger and a 6 speed stick GTO. The Automatic equipped SRT-8 runs faster than the GTO on average because of lack of driver skill in the GTO.
It can be very difficult to run fast times in a GTO without experience behind the wheel. I know I own one. My first time to the track in my 05 GTO, I couldn't do better than high 13s with terrible 60' times because of wheel spin and hop.
But get it right, (decent 60' time without wheel hop) and an 05 GTO will put up numbers just as fast or faster than an SRT-8.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
i don't think a regular charger would stand a chance and i'd like to run a SRT8. with my '04 M6 i got a 13.8 the first time in my life down the track. the second run was a 13.65 and after i figured out the wheel hop i've gotten as low as 13.385 @ 105.99 MPH and 13.4s pretty regularly. a charger is much like a Master Charge. High interest rates and we'll make 'em pay later :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've only owned my car for 8 hours now and I've managed 5 kills. I can't wait to get to the track.

Kill Tally-

2005-Corvette C6(I think he was a inexperienced driver)

1994 RX-7 Twin Turbo(Damn thing was nimble)

1997- Supra TT (In know because you can here the Damn THINGS!)

2005-BMW 645I (I expected more, quess I'll wait for an M3, I wouldn't dare challenge the upcoming M5 untill I get a super charger installed)

2005-Caddilac CTS

Unfortunately I was smashed and put to shame by an 2005 Dodge Viper SRT-10 :mad: No Worries i'll be ready in January when Procharger funds are obtained. :party: )

I would like to run a Charger.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Watch out for those SRT's - we saw them going 12.8 -12.9 at ETown 3 weeks ago. It was one of only 4 making a promotional tour - so still not sure if he was stock - but a 300 ran the same numbers - with only minor mods - so yeah they can be quick.

The weather was great that day so 05's should be okay. I ran a 13.364 one run @ 104.77 in a minor modified 04 ( A4 ). A 105.17 the 2nd run - with massive wheel hop.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Actually I didn't know about the break in procedures until I talked to the Viper owner. We were talking and I told him it only has 2K+ miles on it and he slaped me. He told me drive it as if it were a Civic until 5K miles. So from now on I'm doing just that. Damn I feel stupid for not reading th boards before I drove off the lot. :shutme

G

·
RKB4C said:
What's the break-in procedure for the GTO? I hope you didn't break anything.
Regardless of what anyone tells you, there are numerous tests that would indicate newer motors are built to such high tolerances and more advanced materials that the traditional break-in period is just a scam set by dealers. Its a way for you to eat up more of your warranty period. Every new car I get is beat on from day 1 and I have never experienced a motor failure due to break in.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Besides, I stomped a 300C SRT8 not that long ago.

One of those "Minding my own business" things, but the dude in the Costco-box blingmobile wanted to engage offensive. So, at the next light, we did just that.

Beaten, he rolled up at the next light and gave a thumbs up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.