Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Behold the quickest, most powerful Jeep® vehicle ever created. The fearsome big-bore 6.1-liter SRT HEMI® V8 with 420 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque brings the ultimate performance sport utility to life with more power per liter than the legendary 426 Street HEMI that ruled the urban jungles of the 1960s and 1970s.

From the jeep website. It only has 20 extra HP and 20 extra ft/lbs IT HAS TO WEIGH AT LEAST 500 lbs more minimum. I would think closer to 1,000 lbs more. So how the hell does this happen?? I would say 4wd might be the key but the GTO seems to take him off the line, which is where 4wd would be in consideration. Maybe the jeep was modded to hell, I know there are 11 and 12 second 4wd turbo diesel trucks (ford F350's) but these have performance chips, exhausts, fully blown engines hitting like 900 ft/lbs or more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
First let me reply by saying I am an owner of a GC SRT 8 and this video was posted on the SRT Forum. I believe both were fully stock, but I can get clarification on that.

BTW - I really do like the GTO, not trying to bash at all. Just thought it was an interesting video and was hoping to find out if anyone else on this forum has matched up at the track with the GC SRT 8? When the GTO's first came out, I nearly went for it, but need the extra space, so the SRT was kind of a no brainer.

EDIT - not sure what you guys are getting stock for the 1/4 mile with the GTO's, but the Jeep is getting mid 13's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
awd has to be a help

WHAT DOES THE THING WEIGH

would be my question whether that race was against a modded GC or not. On paper if that thing weighs close to what a regular GC AWD weighs, stock for stock I just don't get how it's feasible to beat the goat...but who knows right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From edmunds review of GC SRT 8 (based on their reviews of both vehicles):

"At the track the Grand Cherokee SRT8, which rides on massive 255/45ZR20 front and 285/40ZR20 rear Goodyear Eagle RS-A run-flats, laid down some serious numbers: 5.2 seconds to 60 mph, 13.5 seconds in the quarter-mile. That makes this a 4,800-pound SUV that easily smokes a new Mustang GT, Pontiac GTO and, its most direct competitor, the Chevy TrailBlazer SS. And, you may want to sit down for this if you're a Porschephile, it's even quicker than the $90,000 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (0-60 in 5.9, quarter in 14.3)."

Full article here:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=108449
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
:) You folks have to realize that magazine/stat racing isnt what its cracked up to be. Anything can happen in a race....... anything.

There are plenty of people who havent mastered the 6 speed in the goat yet, and when you've got an Underrated HP SUV with good gearing that's gonna be a challenge to say the least for a stock GTO.

You can hear the GTO chirping through the gears...that doesnt help 1/4 times at all.

And it doesnt hurt that the SRT8 being rated at 425hp is pumping out a bit more than that....

we've got some local SRT8s here that are putting down 400 to the wheels with an air intake and a "chip"...:willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
barho said:
From edmunds review of GC SRT 8 (based on their reviews of both vehicles):

"At the track the Grand Cherokee SRT8, which rides on massive 255/45ZR20 front and 285/40ZR20 rear Goodyear Eagle RS-A run-flats, laid down some serious numbers: 5.2 seconds to 60 mph, 13.5 seconds in the quarter-mile. That makes this a 4,800-pound SUV that easily smokes a new Mustang GT, Pontiac GTO and, its most direct competitor, the Chevy TrailBlazer SS. And, you may want to sit down for this if you're a Porschephile, it's even quicker than the $90,000 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (0-60 in 5.9, quarter in 14.3)."
"Smokes" a GTO with a 5.2 0-60 and 13.5 quarter mile?? Are we talking a 2004 or 2005/2006 GTO? For the latter, it is not common, but numerous people have posted stock quarter times in the high 12's. Pontiac's own literature states a sub-5 sec 0-60 time (I believe 4.8). I think something was being smoked here but it wasn't a GTO...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Yeah well I have no idea how something that weighs 1,000 lbs more than our cars with only a 20HP/TQ advantage can make up for that extra weight. If the AWD is the reason why aren't all dragsters AWD? Smitty you think they're actually making more than the stated 420HP? What would the reasoning be behind underrating your product? Is the GTO overrated in the HP department or just on par ie: loses a good percentage to the wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
BostonF4$ said:
Smitty you think they're actually making more than the stated 420HP? What would the reasoning be behind underrating your product? Is the GTO overrated in the HP department or just on par ie: loses a good percentage to the wheel.

Obviously I cant speak for ALL SRT8s... but the 3 that i've see on dynos are all putting down more than advertised.

GTOs tend to be as advertised. I've seen a few below par with their numbers in the initial few thousand "break in" miles..then flex their muscle a bit better after broken in.

There are many many MANY factors that are involved with getting a car up and rolling..... and the SRT8s have their **** together. Its definately an efficient setup for power.

Keep in mind its not just "peak" HP numbers.... its the overall power curve that helps too.

Anyway... not taking anything from the GTOs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Kanding said:
"Smokes" a GTO with a 5.2 0-60 and 13.5 quarter mile?? Are we talking a 2004 or 2005/2006 GTO? For the latter, it is not common, but numerous people have posted stock quarter times in the high 12's. Pontiac's own literature states a sub-5 sec 0-60 time (I believe 4.8). I think something was being smoked here but it wasn't a GTO...
Just posting what Edmunds reported. Here is what they say for the 2005 GTO:

"For 2005, Pontiac slid the LS2 6.0-liter V8 under the hood, good for 400 hp. Blasting from zero to 60 in less than 5.5 seconds and blitzing the quarter-mile in under 14 ticks means a 2006 Pontiac GTO will simply embarrass nearly any old Goat you could name."

Once again, I think it's a great car, just as an SRT 8 owner, it's nice to know I can hang with the big boys in my Super SUV, it's all good.

EDIT - Completely agree with you Smitty, a lot goes into a straight up 1/4 mile run. And yes, the AWD helps a bit ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
This truck is sick then. What does it get for gas mileage??? I'm sorry but living in MA and liking performance cars isn't a match made in heaven. I know I won't enjoy my GTO in the winter because a) i most likely wont drive it and b) if i did I'd constantly be annoyed at it's RWD high power tendencies and be nervous about cracking a curb.

That being said...this SUV might satisfy all my wants/needs. I'll keep an eye out for its reliability...if it holds up well over the next couple years I may be picking up an 06/07 in the next 2 years!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BostonF4$ said:
This truck is sick then. What does it get for gas mileage??? I'm sorry but living in MA and liking performance cars isn't a match made in heaven. I know I won't enjoy my GTO in the winter because a) i most likely wont drive it and b) if i did I'd constantly be annoyed at it's RWD high power tendencies and be nervous about cracking a curb.

That being said...this SUV might satisfy all my wants/needs. I'll keep an eye out for its reliability...if it holds up well over the next couple years I may be picking up an 06/07 in the next 2 years!!!
Currently I am averaging close to 13 mpg, so it isn't the best in todays high gas price market, but much like you said, it satifies my need for an SUV and my longing for a sports car :D

I just picked it up a little over two weeks ago. This is a limited production vehicle (only a little over 3,000 made for US and Canada for the 06 year) and it is being offered at employee pricing for the rest of the month!!!! That equated to me picking it up for $5K under MSRP :eek:
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top