Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hypothetically, an 05 GTO would have more power and torque than the 5.7 "HEMI" plus the charger will weigh over 4000lbs while the GTO is lighter at 3800lbs. I'm taking the weight of the Charger based off of the similiar Magnum and 300 which weigh well over 4000lbs in the "HEMI" trim.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't know. I haven't seen a hemi charger since the seventies. Once they make one we may find out, but I think the four door will add a little weight to the charger.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I suggest we not promote the myth of the HEMI. I remember REAL HEMI's.
I suggest fake HEMI or SEMI-HEMI. Those DC boys are trading on the past legend of REAL HEMI's. That thing DOES NOT have a HEMI, except in name. The DC kids patented the name HEMI and can paste it on any engine they build. But that does not make it a HEMI !!!

Real HEMI's were obsoleted because that type of cylinder head design is terrible for emissions, and great for wide open throttle. That's why they died, and that's why they're still dead. The old Hemi heads had a hemisherical combustion chamber. That open chamber allowed for the biggest valves per bore area.The valves were at a 45 degree angle in the head. They would breath better because of large valve area compared to normal "squish" heads. But todays badge engineered HEMI has a normal squish head. Does that thing have a HEMI ?? NOPE !!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
the charger will be offered out in APRIL of 05 with the all new 6.1 liter hemi, with 425 ponies, don't know how the race would turn out, possibly toast the 04 goat, but 05...i dunno

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most vehicles on the market have a hemi in them. A Hemi was big in the 70's, its nothing new now.

GM has been building Hemi style motors for a while now. I guess you could call the Quad 4 a Hemi.

But people are eating it up like crazy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
how do u get a quad 4 being a hemi? that's like my ex's dad telling me he bought his son a 68 malibu with a 396 hemi, all i could do was laugh...no such thing, hemi is a plymouth/chrysler trade mark son

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would take a car with a hemi. Just not a new one.

I shoulda bought the 68 baracuda convertable my ex's uncle was going to sell to me one time for $2500. He put a 426 (REAL HEMI) in it, and was chained down because of the power it was putting out. Of course that was about 9 years ago and I was just going to college full time, and lost my license because of a speeding ticket. Even with two jobs back then, I didn't have the cash...and I'm still crying on the inside over it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
lambertgoat said:
how do u get a quad 4 being a hemi? that's like my ex's dad telling me he bought his son a 68 malibu with a 396 hemi, all i could do was laugh...no such thing, hemi is a plymouth/chrysler trade mark son

GM's 2.2L 4cyl, 3.6L V6, 4.6L Northstar all run Hemi style cylinder heads. Just the name Hemi was coined by Chrysler.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yea, and from what I hear, the 'Hemi' is really just a gimmick name now. The true 'Hemi' engine is no longer.

But, heck of an advertising campaign. Kudos to them for that.

Please - Dodge Ram Truck owners. Don't try to run against the big boys

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wick,
No offense but most vehicles today DO NOT have a hemi in them. The engines you mentioned have duel over head cam engines and four valves per cylinder. They are not hemi's. A true Hemi from the old school were over head VALVE engines with the cam in block. The GM engines you mentioned even with an overhead cam have a variation of the squish design cylinder head. The old Hemi's had their two valves in a true hemispherical combustion chamber design placed at 45 deg angles. The cylinder head was an OPEN design. The 45 degree angle allows the largest size valves possible in a two valve head. ( the reason overhead cam engines breath better than overhead valve engines is the valvetrain design allows for more valves to be used. More valves, even if each valve is smaller, increases total valve area hence more airflow. ) In the new Hemi marketing engine from DC, the valve angle is only 34.5 degrees, and the head is not a true open "HEMI" design. For emission reasons there is protrusion cast into the head that make the new "semi" Hemi into a squish combustion design.
Even the legendary Don Garllits has said "it ain't a real HEMI".

·
Registered
185 Posts
GTO TOO said:
Wick,
No offense but most vehicles today DO NOT have a hemi in them. The engines you mentioned have duel over head cam engines and four valves per cylinder. They are not hemi's. A true Hemi from the old school were over head VALVE engines with the cam in block. The GM engines you mentioned even with an overhead cam have a variation of the squish design cylinder head. The old Hemi's had their two valves in a true hemispherical combustion chamber design placed at 45 deg angles. The cylinder head was an OPEN design. The 45 degree angle allows the largest size valves possible in a two valve head. ( the reason overhead cam engines breath better than overhead valve engines is the valvetrain design allows for more valves to be used. More valves, even if each valve is smaller, increases total valve area hence more airflow. ) In the new Hemi marketing engine from DC, the valve angle is only 34.5 degrees, and the head is not a true open "HEMI" design. For emission reasons there is protrusion cast into the head that make the new "semi" Hemi into a squish combustion design.
THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
GTO TOO said:
Wick,
The defination of a Hemi style cylinder head is opposing valves with a center fired spark plug.
A perfect example is Fords version of the Hemi. They made a race style Cobra Jet head that is a Hemi. Chrysler is not the only one to ever use this style of cylinder head. I can show you picture of the heads if you do not believe me.

Lambertgoat... I have always learned one thing on all these web-sites. They is usually at least one Troll per site.. Get off GTO TOO coat tails.

·
Registered
185 Posts
actually i agree with gto too, but gm and ford don't call it a hemi cuz then everybody would know that they always copy off chrysler

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wick,
A center mounted spark plug is a charachteristic of a hemi head design as the valves take up the side walls. But just having a center plug does not make it a HEMI. Just as the Ford site you mentioned calls it a hemi does not make it so. Please understand I am not saying this to start an arguement. The Ford head on the site you quote has two "hemisherical ports for the valves. That is NOT a HEMI. It you truely wish to see what a real HEMI head looks like ( I am an engineer ) go to the site below. You will notice the WHOLE COMBUSTION CHAMBER IS A hemishereical SHAPE, NOT JUST WHERE THE VAVLES reside. That allows for the 45 degree valve design. Ford did use a HEMI on one version of the 427 motor. But it is not a common design and it certainly is not common on emission engine as they ( HEMIS ) are very POOR emmitters. Lots of fuel goes unburned but they breath great amounts of air. Check out the real HEMI head below and you will see what I am talking about.

http://www.thehemi.com/heads.php

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ah.. hemis. I drove one or two but never bought one. Plymouth/Chrysler 426 hemi was an almost mythical beast. A huge motor. If I remember correctly, in the end the chevy big blocks were better because they lasted longer. Suppesedly the Chrysler hemi needed align boring often if you raced it. Very big, very heavy, very powerful, horrible gas mileage, even compared to other big blocks of the era.

If I remember correctly, serious races chose the chevy rat motors over chrysler hemis and shotgun fords....

Pent roof, good small squish area allowing more compression, turbos, blowers, todays motors are much better than the old 60's 70s monsters..

·
Registered
39 Posts
More people race chevy motors because they can afford to go fast without dumping there buget. I paid a fortune to get my Mustang to go fast and it was half as fast as my Nova. The Nova only cost me $5500 in engine, trans and rear end mods. It did 10's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
lambertgoat said:
actually i agree with gto too, but gm and ford don't call it a hemi cuz then everybody would know that they always copy off chrysler
Um, yeah. That's it. Chrysler is king. I've personally noticed that everything Ford and GM do is blatently stolen from Chrysler. :rolleyes:

Whatever.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts