Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Last gen RX-7 and 2005-06 GTO stock for stock, the GTO will pretty easily take it in the 1/4 but out of the hole the RX-7 is a good performer in turbo form. If I remember correctly it was something like 5.2s 0-60 and low 14's in the 1/4 mile. Modded??? No one can truely answer this as anything is possible modded, but truely the 6.0L LS2 is capable of much more with bolt ons if you are asking about possibilities. The RX-7 was a great car in its time (ending in 1995). It handled great and exterior looks were quite nice IMO.

Honestly though, you sure they are rev'ing at you? It has to rev pretty high to get any type of speed anyways, maybe they are just in a hurry... :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
My wife has a 45,000 mile 1993 RX-7. Nice car! Handles very well, easy to drift and, oh, uh - my 2006 M6 will eat it for lunch from a standing start. We have not played from a roll, but I'm sure not afraid to try. She can drive the car, so that's not the problem. The RX-7 gets really happy in the 55 - 65 area, so it could be tough there.

·
Registered
569 Posts
kerno said:
My wife has a 45,000 mile 1993 RX-7. Nice car! Handles very well, easy to drift and, oh, uh - my 2006 M6 will eat it for lunch from a standing start. We have not played from a roll, but I'm sure not afraid to try. She can drive the car, so that's not the problem. The RX-7 gets really happy in the 55 - 65 area, so it could be tough there.
Not to mention, being a turbo car- they respond VERY well to simple mods like exhaust, ecu tune and boost controller (all in the $1500 range total) that will make them night and day what they were stock and may surprise a few of you- like Kerno said, from 55-65, the things really start unwinding- they really move out once modded :). I just don't like the reliability of modded rotories- they hold up just fine to the power, but the slightest little "hiccup" in things and kiss an apex seal goodbye. Been there, done that :(.
Joe

·
Registered
569 Posts
The RX8 has nothing for potential compared to the RX7. Stock for stock, they are close though. Lol, I know of a couple of RX7's here that would take that challenge, but you'd better bring your wallet :). I know of a couple non turbo rotary cars that will take the bet also.

The problem with a lot of the imports now is they are in the wrong hands (read- RICERS). Some have sooo much potential and were actually potent street cars in the right hands. Now that the ricers are getting their hands on them, they have more money than I make into stupid rice mods to look and sound fast, but they are junk. In the right hands, an RX7 is a brutally fast car with not a "hell" of a lot of money into it. Same with the Supras. Also, I will put a $2000 AWD talon with $800 or less in mods (again, with the *right* mods) up against a stock GTO on the street any day from a launch- roll on is another story :).
Joe

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Not to mention, being a turbo car- they respond VERY well to simple mods like exhaust, ecu tune and boost controller (all in the $1500 range total) that will make them night and day what they were stock and may surprise a few of you- like Kerno said, from 55-65, the things really start unwinding- they really move out once modded :). I just don't like the reliability of modded rotories- they hold up just fine to the power, but the slightest little "hiccup" in things and kiss an apex seal goodbye. Been there, done that :(.
Joe
My little brother had a '94 twin turbo RX7 with all of the upgrades that you mentioned except the boost controller. He never beat me in my '93 Corvette. My Vette had a K&N open filter lid, MagnaFlow mufflers and a computer chip. At the track he ran a best of 14.2. I ran consistent 13.8s. If he knew how to shift a little bit better I think it would have been even or he would have probably beaten me. On the street, we were always dead even through 3rd gear. But every time we hit 4th I easily started to pull away. 3rd, 4th and 5th were the strongest gears in my Vette. On curvy roads he never could keep up with me. Vette versus RX7 on a road course - no brainer, no contest. The massive grip I got from the wide 275 front and 315 rear BF Goodrich tires I had really made it easy. But regardless of him not beaten me or being the best driver out there, I was always impressed with his ride. Loved the interior. Oh by the way, he did blow his apex seal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
KwikTSI mentioned the Talon AWD. My son had one for several years and it was pretty quick. I don't think a stock one would be a big challenge for the GTO. But about a year ago, Hot Rod Magazine ran an article on a modded Talon. Hot Rod is about as "anti-rice" as any magazine has ever been. They have about 1 import a year. But the Talon was impressive. The short block had never been out of the car. The top end was modded beyond belief with sheetmetal manifolds and massive intercoolers. But the car ran 8.91 in the quarter - not the eighth. That, my friends, is a fast ride. They've been out of production for several years and you rarely see them anymore. But with all wheel drive (like the GTO was supposed to have), they are very strong out of the gate. A Celica Supra Turbo can also ruin your day.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I personally have gone [email protected] repeatedly with a 1.65 60' in a "stock" talon with just a gutted cat, used cat back, K&N and boost controller. Like I said, from a roll on a stock GTO will kill it, but light to light- that talon would have destroyed it- BAD :). Turbo cars respond VERY well to the right little mods. As I have mentioned before, I have had a few of them though, I had another one that did 487 to the wheels and I would spray a 125 shot on top of that for some street races. They can be very potent little cars in the right hands. There are more than a few sub 11 second street talons out there that would ruin your day if you tried :). Like I had said in another thread, my friend has one that has a big turbo, front mount, exhaust, injectors, fuel pump and standalone EMS that really put a hurting on my GTO from a 60 mph roll on- I mean, he left me like I just kept it in 6th or something- it was that bad lol.

The Supras are very fast cars, they don't always do the best in the 1/4 due to traction, but they make ridiculous MPH. Very fast cars with a few, well placed mods. Funny that you said Celica Supra- it reminded me of one other car that is very potent in the right hands, but rare- the Celica All Trac- AWD Turbo. Same potential as a DSM (talon, eclipse, laser) with the right tuner.

Bottom line, I am all for big motors, torque, etc. as much as the next guy, but there are plenty of small motor cars that will flat out destroy a GTO (with the right mods, of course) and quite a few others that will make you think... I don't want to get into the whole "apples to oranges- they are modded, we aren't" thing- I am just saying that I see a lot of GTO owners with stock cars seem that have that "they are jap crap" attitude and an Import won't touch them on the street- that isn't always the case. Although, obviously more often than not- they are usually just ricer morons in their 16 second junk box :). Even with the Procharger on my car, I am curious how it would fare against my friends talon from a roll, I think it would be pretty close- no way would I race him from a launch though (on the street at least)- it would be bad lol.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Honestly, I'm a fan of any car that hauls ass. Like everyone else, I just prefer a certain car that I choose to go fast in. When I hit the track, I enjoy watching the drags rather than drag racing myself. Even though it's a safe environment for drag racing, anything at anytime could go wrong. And even after I make a safe pass, I always get those damn nervous shakes when it's over. And I have to admit that when I do see one of those riced out tin cans run a low ET I'm pretty impressed. But I'm not impressed when I see some of them on the wrecker after they explode during their run. So my question is, how much wrenching is done on these cars to keep them fast? If the price of maintenance is more than the price of the mods, is the short lived fun/speed worth it?

·
Registered
364 Posts
GibsonUSA said:
I get them revving at me all the time.
How do they compare? Modded ones?
Not trying to encourage street racing, but adding my two cents...

I had a 94 RX-7 for about seven years before I sold it for an 02 Corvette Z06. As mentioned above, a stock 3rd Gen RX-7 will run low five's 0-60 and around 14 for the quarter mile, but... as also mentioned above it is really easy and fairly inexpensive to mod that car. When you see one you never know what you are getting.

When I lived in Hawaii I used to run a driver's education event at Hawaii Raceway Park in the RX-7 and it pretty well handled anything that came out except for one guy who had a Ferrari 355. At first I was faster than him, but over time, he got more experience and more comfortable in his car and eventually I couldn't keep up with him. :cheers

·
Registered
569 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Honestly, I'm a fan of any car that hauls ass. Like everyone else, I just prefer a certain car that I choose to go fast in. When I hit the track, I enjoy watching the drags rather than drag racing myself. Even though it's a safe environment for drag racing, anything at anytime could go wrong. And even after I make a safe pass, I always get those damn nervous shakes when it's over. And I have to admit that when I do see one of those riced out tin cans run a low ET I'm pretty impressed. But I'm not impressed when I see some of them on the wrecker after they explode during their run. So my question is, how much wrenching is done on these cars to keep them fast? If the price of maintenance is more than the price of the mods, is the short lived fun/speed worth it?

I am the same way- I have never really been "brand loyal". I will like certain engine, chassis, styles, etc. of various cars. I kind of have a soft spot for the DSM cars though due to their incredible bang for the buck and the fact that they are what got my business going in the first place. As for keeping them fast reliably- it is a toss up. If you drive it "right" (there is a big difference between a skilled 1.5 60' and just a violent clutch dump :) ) and keep the tune good, they actually hold up fairly well. I see a lot of people bitch about the transmissions in the DSM's- put it this way- you have an AWD car launching at 6500 rpm + with incredible traction- try that with say a stock T5 in a Stang from the same era. Yeah, they aren't as strong as a worked T56, but they are very strong for what they are. Breaking stuff is part of racing though- any time you extract 2-3X (and up) more power than stock, you are stressing things- this holds true with ANY car out there. Granted, they aren't "as" strong, but there aren't a lot of options out there either for upgraded parts. If you break an axle on a DSM- you put another stock axle back in and wait for that to go. You break an axle on a modded goat, you call BMR and upgrade. You blow a trans, you put another stock one back in- you build the snot out of a goat and break the trans- you put a built TH400 in it or something and not have that problem again. There are some upgraded items out there along the lines of FWD/AWD transmissions and such, but they are usually dogbox setups and not very streetable- but a lot still drive on the street anyway :).
Joe

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was never really into "I've got the fastest car" machismo crap, but I'm not backing down to a challenge now and then either. I don't see the need to pay money to take my car to a track and abuse it...but I know a few guys who do it regularly. One guy I work with has a 95? (last year made) RX7 that he tells me is putting down 11.5 second 1/4 mile times and has 600 RWHP...he's got turbos on it dialing in like 15 lbs of boost. He's put about 5 grand into the thing...this guy is really into drag racing and claims that on the street (illegally) the fastest car around is a civic si/rsx. I know all you guys will bash that fact, but up here in NE that's all I hear about its souped up hondas with turbos, nitrous, race suspension, exhaust, and every piece of non-functional weigh gutted out. RX8 is a totall different, heavier, weaker car...I've driven a few. The RX7 is a real sports car. My question for all those "riced up" civics would be, how much HP can you put down in a FWD car before it just gets undriveable? For example, an Acura TL has like 270 HP and is FWD...when driving that thing hard you must get tremendous wheel hop and torque steer, on my V6accord (220 HP) if I accelerated hard from a stand still and didn't get good traction the front end would just rattle really hard. I couldn't imagine what it's like in a 300 HP civic

·
Registered
341 Posts
There's a high-10-second last-gen RX-7 in the Orlando area that lurks I-4... Runs with my best friend's nephew's 5.0 and F-bod crowd... With boosted cars, the sky's the limit... Reliability, that's another thing, but it's a different universe with a Wankel...

RX-7's and Supras??? They're like a box of chocolates.... you never know what you're going to get.... Suffice it to say, they're another good reason not to run foolish license plates or frames on the back of your car boasting how "bad" you are.... There's so many 10 and 11 second street cars out there anymore, running stock wheels and non-descript paint jobs...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think with turbo cars, you'll spend a lot more time under the hood tuning and looking for boost leaks.This is why I'll probably trade my srt-4 for the Camaro when it comes out.
I think that is the smartest thing you have ever said on this forum Blue there might be hope for you yet:lol: All in good fun "YOUR MY BOY BLUE!"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.