Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove to prescot AZ sat nite to see family..When I pulled into that small little town I was on a 35mph road driving in the dark. Out of no where a newer black STI pulls out and quickly pulls next to me, he rolls his window down and trys to get my attention, but I was on the phone getting better directions, so I didnt even roll my window down. He was prob about 18 or 19years old, and I was obvious he wanted to race. At the next light we lined up and the road opened up to a 65mph highway, the light turned green and away we went! First Gear all me, 2nd gear he cuaght up abit and 3rd on it was the GTO!!! I was thinking that he might have had a better chance, but as far as im concerned NO CONTEST!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I killed one on the interstate from an 80 mph roll, their top end can't hang with us either.
I think the he was thinking that he was going to walk away from me! HAHA nope, sorry, he has to go talk his parents into gettin ride of his rice for some AMERICAN HORSEPOWER!!

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
Awesome kill

One of the best things about this forum is hearing all the kills conducted by the goat. Love it!:party:

·
Registered
556 Posts
If he had launched "like he stole it", he'd have put a couple of lengths on you at the start. Then you'd reel him in latter. :cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
^^ agreed... FWIW the stock turbo on the 04-current STi is way too small.. if he had a larger turbo, it might have been a different story... I love my GTO, but my WRX will hand it its ass on the road/track in stock form.

Still, nice kill. :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Wish you guys would occassionally spell out the car name instead of always using acronyms or abb.
Us newr guys here don't always know the cars you are talking about.
What's an STI- I feel less informed but I may be speaking for others here as well and I'd really like to know what I may be up against out in the Jungle.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wish you guys would occassionally spell out the car name instead of always using acronyms or abb.
Us newr guys here don't always know the cars you are talking about.
What's an STI- I feel less informed but I may be speaking for others here as well and I'd really like to know what I may be up against out in the Jungle.

STi's are a trim level of Subaru Impreza. The base Impreza has an N/A 2.5l flat-four making 165ish hp. Then there's a step up to the WRX Impreza. The WRX has either a 2.0l turbo flat-four w/ 222hp, or a 2.5l turbo flat-four w/ 230 hp, depending on year. The there's the STi. The STi is Subaru's road-going rally car that they've won numerous WRC Championships and races w/. It's also the highest-trim Impreza you can buy. They have the 2.5l falt-four w/ a larger turbo developing 300hp. Only available in six-speed. Stiff suspension, 17in wheels, Brembo brakes, some other goodies. They're some little monsters. They'll slaughter a road course, but they are still quick in a straight line on the street. All Impreza's are AWD, so they can get out of the hole quick. Real quick. The older WRX's are really high 13's and low 14's w/ a good driver. The STi's are really high 12's- basement 13's w/ a good driver....

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thank you scg87 for the lesson- I see a lot of Blue WRX's around but I'll look out for the STI's. They look like trouble but I assumed the four couldn't hang with the big cubes- I suppose from 0 to 60, the STI's would be tough to beat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
0-60 is really all they have. Thats why they're so good at auto cross. If you ever see one, toy with him and get him on the freeway. I always do that. I've raced several around my area and from a dig its a catch up game, but after about 80mph its barely a challenge.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The funny part is that when we say they can hang till 80mph they sound decently quick, but in reality it takes what 7 seconds to hit 80.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thank you scg87 for the lesson- I see a lot of Blue WRX's around but I'll look out for the STI's. They look like trouble but I assumed the four couldn't hang with the big cubes- I suppose from 0 to 60, the STI's would be tough to beat.

Yeah, from a dig, they're tough to beat. It'd take a good GTO driver and a bad STi driver for the Goat to win a stoplight-to-stoplight brawl. But as already said, from a roll, or on a long stretch, the GTO's power advantage easily overcome's them. STi's are light and awd, that's why they're so quick. But they're not very aerodynamic, and they lose quite a bit of power throught the drivetrain, that's why they kinda lack the top-end and quickness from a roll.

And for future refernce, the eaiest way to tell STi's and reg WRX's apart is the the wing. STi's have tall rear wings. They also have larger silver or gold wheels, gold brake calipers, a larger hoop scoop, and STi badging on the grille, trunklid, and front doors. They are also only available in the bright blue, siver, grey, white and black.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
One of the best things about this forum is hearing all the kills conducted by the goat. Love it!:party:
:cheers
Used to be a mustang driver...we would usually take the SRT-4's, but the Chevy's owned us...good to be apart of this crowd...the stangs needed FI to hang the the big boys...ls1's, ls2's...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, from a dig, they're tough to beat. It'd take a good GTO driver and a bad STi driver for the Goat to win a stoplight-to-stoplight brawl. But as already said, from a roll, or on a long stretch, the GTO's power advantage easily overcome's them. STi's are light and awd, that's why they're so quick. But they're not very aerodynamic, and they lose quite a bit of power throught the drivetrain, that's why they kinda lack the top-end and quickness from a roll.

And for future refernce, the eaiest way to tell STi's and reg WRX's apart is the the wing. STi's have tall rear wings. They also have larger silver or gold wheels, gold brake calipers, a larger hoop scoop, and STi badging on the grille, trunklid, and front doors. They are also only available in the bright blue, siver, grey, white and black.....

Actually STi's and EVO's are quick on the track because of the AWD. They are not light and or powerful they can just do things a FWD or RWD alone cannot.

Not to mention a stop light to stop light race is close between any two decently quick cars. Even a Mustang GT will saty beside a GTO through first gear. More power is only a benifit when you can use it.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Actually STi's and EVO's are quick on the track because of the AWD. They are not light and or powerful they can just do things a FWD or RWD alone cannot.

Not to mention a stop light to stop light race is close between any two decently quick cars. Even a Mustang GT will saty beside a GTO through first gear. More power is only a benifit when you can use it.
Exactly right. Traction wins 0-60 stoplight wars. Hp and aerodynamics win the top speed and 1/4 mile wars.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts