Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 GTO 6.0L 4 speed automatic, I've had it for a week, and recently when ever I floor the pedal down, it feels like a huge power lose, and it doesn't shift into the next gear, and the check engine lights blinks for a few seconds then turns off, what could it be? It has transmission fluid and everything. One other thing person before me put MSD wires. But when I first bought the car and floored it, it worked find till recently when I tried it again and it did this. Please help

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I have a 2006 GTO 6.0L 4 speed automatic, I've had it for a week, and recently when ever I floor the pedal down, it feels like a huge power lose, and it doesn't shift into the next gear, and the check engine lights blinks for a few seconds then turns off, what could it be? It has transmission fluid and everything. One other thing person before me put MSD wires. But when I first bought the car and floored it, it worked find till recently when I tried it again and it did this. Please help
Was the car tuned?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
That i don't know, is there a way to tell that it is tune? and could a tune really do that make it function great first few day i got it, then just not run great the next?
Based on feedback from others who reported various performance issues, some were a result of the car being tuned. One day its ok the next its running rough. Could be a variety of things. You had the car only a week. Where ever you got the car I'd be taking it back and discussing this with the seller. Do you know the history of the car?

Cold weather we had .... improper coolant mixture? Something in the block damaged now its running bad? Maybe bad wires, Maybe chafed wires... Whole host of things.. Know anyone with a scanner that can help you with decoding the error codes?

I am hoping for your sake someone didn't trash the thing and dump it and you came along.... After one week.... talk to the seller.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
That i don't know, is there a way to tell that it is tune? and could a tune really do that make it function great first few day i got it, then just not run great the next?
Did you purchase it from a dealer. If you did bring it back to them to have it checked out, if you purchased privately, maybe the seller will be nice enough to try to help you.

How does it shift when driving normally, does it shift OK when driving around town. From your explanation, I have a bad feeling you have a trans problem. That is the same issue I had with my A/4 . Mine failed because the motor was making too much power. It would shift fairly normally untill it was stressed , then it would either not shift or it would just slip in and out of gear.

Is your car stock, has it been modified other than the wires.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
You need to get the car on a scanner so you can read the data. Very simple to diagnose with a scanner. The scanner will show TPS value, MAF values, MAP values, load/rpm/speed, what solenoids are activated/not activated, etc. If unfamiliar with a scanner, take the car to a real mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts