Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking that the gto is not something that ive thought was so amazing before theres so many things they could of been better with the gto. im looking into a bmw roadster or a 04 porsche boxster s
i need motivation or something to keep my car

·
Registered
182 Posts
You're comparing 2 cars that are canyon carvers to a V8 behemouth that the mear exhaust notes cause other 6cyls and 8cyls to wet themselves with fear?!!??! :eek:

You want motivation.... go start up your car go to a deserted parking lot,
Put the car in gear Bring the rpms up to 2.5K drop the clutch, yank the wheel to the right or left and keep the pedal to the floor!!!!:D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Oil changes for the Porsche are 3 times what they cost for the GTO. Brakes for the Porsche are 4 times the cost of the GTO. If the GTO breaks something you can take it just about anywhere and get it fixed. If the Porsche breaks your looking at at least 2 days for the dealer to get time to look at it plus if it needs parts????????

BMW's have had spotty reliability recently, and they cost more for repairs, although a new one gets free maintenance.

Both the Porsche and the BMW get crushed in a straight line. The interior is nicer in the GTO.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Serious question:
1) Are you having, what is sometimes called, "new car-itis", "me too syndrome", or whatever else it is named, where after owning a car for some time, the newness wears off, and you see other cars with other appealing features (often this is a new car with more HP coming out but it can be something else)?
2) Are you wanting a car based at least partially on the image or imagined prestige you would get with the Porsche or BMW name?

It is hard to phrase the above questions correctly, but I'm wondering if either of these symptoms are what is plaguing you, or is it something else that is causing you to have 2nd thoughts on the GTO (ie wanting a convertible especially now that it's almost June).

The BMW roadster and Boxster are very different cars from the GTO. The Boxster's performance strength, for instance, is good handling. However, it is not a very quick car, and I've heard derisive comments from owners of other types of Porsches (or Porsche lovers in general) that the Boxster is not a "real" Porsche, and they seem to regret its production.

Neither the BMW nor the Boxster have a back seat, so seating is limited, depending on how often you may/may not carry a 3rd or 4th person around. Also, unless you own multiple vehicles as regular drivers, there are going to be times when you need to leave the convertible roof up (rain or whatever) and most convertibles have poor rear vision with the roof up. I've never driven either of these vehicles, so I cannot say how it is, but even if I had, a person's height often comes into play so what may be acceptable for one person may not necessarily be so for another.

I guess, in short, "we need more info." :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ok, are you planning to mod your 04 gto? They need some mods to be up to par with everything else these days, but with full exhaust, headers, and a tune, you can get that LS1 putting down 350+ easily. That's LS2 territory.

If you don't want to raise a finger to "fix" your worthy GTO, and would rather have a turn-key fast car, then sure go with those other things. I don't think you'll find anything there you can't have with a goat. It's also not like you can get one of those vehicles for less than 30k.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
pageme136 said:
Ive been thinking that the gto is not something that ive thought was so amazing before theres so many things they could of been better with the gto. im looking into a bmw roadster or a 04 porsche boxster s
i need motivation or something to keep my car
You know how your car performs. You buy whatever you think will make you happy. Itsa free country. Keep us posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.